Thread: New Super Touring Philosophy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Coincidental that you should bring this up; I've actually been thinking the last week or so that it's more appropriate to have this date limit rule move forward with time, something along the lines of "current year plus 25 years).Yeah, it'll exclude cars eventually, but if the goal is to keep the category "fresh", it's needed.

GA

I really don't think that's a good idea.

IT cars (going back to '68 apparently) would still be able to run, so all that would do would hurt people who built older, (lighter, inexpensive to acquire) cars specifically for ST.

If the idea is to somehow require people be building modern touring cars - for what it costs to build one of these things, they can go buy a seat in a pro car for a year for less money. That's not going to grow the class.

Also, my car is 25 years old as of this July. It is a perfectly good, competitive STU car. It was not inexpensive to build for this class either. I would be... less than excited... if I had to sell it or find another venue to race it next July.

I think it would be perhaps better to focus on getting the class participation up amongst pure ST cars (what are the numbers when you take out the crossover SM/SSM/IT/T2/T3 cars) there's what, appx 14 STU cars for next weekends race at Sebring, and only 3 of them are true STU cars? I thought the Easy Points National was at NHMS in April, not Sebring in January. Too bad it's such a long cold tow for me.

freshness will come from people buying ex WC-TC cars, not from kicking out current competitors.
    Last edited by JS154; 01-04-2012 at 08:08 PM.