Thread: August 2011 Fastrack

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    Safer? Please explain how one locks down a car with ABS? One of the first things they teach in DS is both feet in. It puts the spinning car on a predictable path and keeps the engine running. How does one do that with ABS?
    I am not sure how you would "Lock it down". I would argue that the ABS is safer due to accident avoidance rather than after your already into trouble and spinning.

I would try to simulate accident avoidance in a parking lot. Use cones if you must. Place a cone where I have an "I" marked below. When driving you must go between the cones. Drive (through this course starting from the bottom) using brakes without ABS and see how fast you can go through or see how late you can hit the brakes and still make it through. I suggest entering it at about 60MPH anything slower isn't really going to simulate track speeds. Then go back and do the same thing and brake later (less warning of incident) I bet you will be amazed at how much later you can brake and you will see how much faster you can go through it. To be honest I bet you can go through at least 15MPH faster. This is a very basic and simple example of how ABS can improve Accident avoidance. ABS gives you the power to utilize any given wheel at maximum threshold braking. This concept allows you to actually continue to steer the car while using your maximum braking power. Without ABS you can only use the brakes at the maximum threshold of the first tire to loose grip.

____________________I I___________________________

_________________I I____________________________

____________________I I__________________________

As I said above ABS is great for accident avoidance. If you are already spinning because you already messed up I am not sure how much of a help it would have.

Everyone views this differently and it was debated in another thread a while ago. I am interested in this topic so if you have any articles that site any ABS Vs. non ABS comparisons feel free to PM me. Also please note I am talking about newr model cars, I already get that 80's and 90's cars didn't have anything close to what exists nowadays and that they wouldn't benifit nearly as much and in fact I would argue the 80's Audis ABS was worse than having none!

Just a reminder that Grand-am, Continental Challenge, and World Challenge here in the states uses ABS, as well as SCCA Showroom stock and Touring.

Stephen

PS: If you want to experience this in a controlled safe environment they do this in most officer schools including Stevens Advanced Driving here in NH.
    Last edited by StephenB; 07-18-2011 at 10:26 PM.