Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Index - When Do You Bail?

My medical cooler had a 7v input...I suspect the motor will be very pissed off on 13.5v. I found a DC to DC voltage regulator via Google that steps the voltage down to 7v....works like magic!!! Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by rsx858 View Post
    My other option would be to have a water bottle with a long straw but i dont like the idea of trying to fiddle with a straw at speed.. any suggestions?
    This is what I have. Nalgene water bottle in a zippered cooler right behind my seat with a straw. Obviously I can't mess with this over the vast majority of the track, but there is enough straightaway space that I have never had a problem.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

After racing for 24 years without a cool suit , I had my 1st encounter with one this weekend @ TWS in ChumpCar.

I started the race @ 4:00 PM , I don't even want to know how hot it was.

As I was strapping in for my 2 hour stint , I'm thinking " I hope this cool suit works " , just about then I began to feel the cool water flow .... Oh baby , that feels great !

After 1.5 hrs I felt great , the cool suit really did make a difference

Then it happened , we had a mechanical issue that left me stranded on course , the truck came to get me , hooked up , then quickly unhooked to attend to a car on fire report , that left me stranded on course for over 30 minutes in full gear in the car ... I'm not sure how that would have turned out without the cool suit.

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    After racing for 24 years without a cool suit , I had my 1st encounter with one this weekend @ TWS in ChumpCar.

I started the race @ 4:00 PM , I don't even want to know how hot it was.

As I was strapping in for my 2 hour stint , I'm thinking " I hope this cool suit works " , just about then I began to feel the cool water flow .... Oh baby , that feels great !

After 1.5 hrs I felt great , the cool suit really did make a difference

Then it happened , we had a mechanical issue that left me stranded on course , the truck came to get me , hooked up , then quickly unhooked to attend to a car on fire report , that left me stranded on course for over 30 minutes in full gear in the car ... I'm not sure how that would have turned out without the cool suit.

I was stranded for around 30 min at my drivers school last summer without a cool suit, and thusfar it's the only time I could say I've been uncomfortable in the car. Without the airflow (even hot), being in the car flat sucked. Grid of course isn't much better, but you only need to sit in the car for up to 10 min at a time.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

For those interested in building your own cool shirt cooler. See my recent post here:

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=962966

Most of the time the heat doesn't bother me. I can remember running LRP a few years back when temps were in triple digits. That bowl gets HOT when the air isn't moving. When you notice sweat tracking across your ribcage and into your eyes when you're going through Big Bend, you know it's hot.
    We ran a helmet blower for a few years. It helped, although not as much as a cool suit would. I think now it would be more a matter of picking my spots rather than investing that much in a cool suit, especially since we both have to buy HANS's this winter. Heat like we just had, I would probably just sit it out. We saw 101 here last Friday, on an open, usually cool area. I can only imagine what LRP would have been like!
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"