Thread: Radio Frequencies?

Default Radio Frequencies?

I picked up a Yaesu FT-60R radio primarily to use for course control work (starter), but might want to set it up in-car. It's a dual band radio - will transmit 137-174 Mhz (VHF) and 420-470 Mhz (UHF). I'm not yet licensed for any of those frequencies. What frequencies are typically used for in-car? How do you manage the license requirements? Any insight is appreciated.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    I'm not yet licensed for any of those frequencies.
    Easiest way is to find a "technician" amateur license study guide and then practice taking the test. There are multiple sites that have online tests available for you to practice. I think this one is still free:
    http://www.eham.net/exams/

You can also search for other free exams. Please note that the exam question pools changed this month so make sure you are taking a current practice exam.

Then you can find your local "ham" radio club and see when they offer examinations and take the license exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    What frequencies are typically used for in-car? How do you manage the license requirements? Any insight is appreciated.
    Varies and there is not any "standard" freq's. The FT-60 will only transmit in allocated amateur freq's although there may be modifications that allow it to transmit in other "areas" such as FRS and GMRS.

It should be noted that it violates FCC rules if you transmit with "non approved" radios(like the FT-60) on frequencies outside the amateur bands. You can listen without any mods to the radio.

Good luck, the FT-60 is pretty nice HT. I own one myself.

I also have a transient license for other UHF freqs that I use for race communications, in car and personal radio use. I don't remember how much the license cost, seems it was about $70 and I use old Kenwood, Motorola, and Vertex radios that i picked up on Ebay and used my local contacts to program them to the freq's I wanted.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 07-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post
    Then you can find your local "ham" radio club and see when they offer examinations and take the license exam.
    So would the amateur bands be a good choice for track use?
    Varies and there is not any "standard" freq's. The FT-60 will only transmit in allocated amateur freq's although there may be modifications that allow it to transmit in other "areas" such as FRS and GMRS.
    Yes, mine is modded so it will transmit 134-174 and 420-470.
    It should be noted that it violates FCC rules if you transmit with "non approved" radios(like the FT-60) on frequencies outside the amateur bands.
    I didn't know that.
    I also have a transient license for other UHF freqs that I use for race communications, in car and personal radio use. I don't remember how much the license cost, seems it was about $70 and I use old Kenwood, Motorola, and Vertex radios that i picked up on Ebay and used my local contacts to program them to the freq's I wanted.
    I assume that is a different license than the ham license. I'd like to learn more about that.

Thanks Paul.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

It is a GMRS (general mobile radio service)license and you can apply here: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...general_mobile

and use the GMRS frequencies at 4 watts for your "personal" communications. You are limited in the frequencies found here:
    http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...7cfr95.621.pdf

and they are shared with other users. Generally you can add "PL" codes or sub-audible tones that will "open and close" the squelch circuit on your radios that allow you to only hear your radio(s) even though others are using the same frequency. This is a waaaaay simplified explanation of the shared channel concept.

I should have used the phrase "type accepted" for GMRS service. The FT-60 is not "type accepted" but the other radios I listed are.

For ham operator, technically a non licensed person may operate a ham radio while under direct control of a licensed "control station operator." I know, big fancy words that only lead to more questions and I am by no means an expert in this area.

Here is the best suggestion I can give you, locate your local "ham" club, attend a meeting and ask for some help. I will bet that you will find that Ham's are more than willing to help you out in the licensing, legality issues, and good practical alternatives to buying high $$$ radios.

Good luck, radio is another fun hobby that you can spend lots of $$$ on. Or, like me you can be a spendthrift and still have fun.

One more thing, you will find that most Ham's are pretty particular about operating a radio in an improper fashion or in an unlicensed fashion. Please read that as outside of the FCC's rules. I am not going to lecture anyone about what they can or cannot do but I can only say that I have never seen the FCC enforcing the letter of the rules except in cases of CB radios operating so far outside the rules that fluorescent bulbs would light up from the RF waves emitting from their towers. In some cases this was more than 100' from their towers and the neighbors could not watch their TV for the stray RF bouncing and interfering with the TV cable system. You could also pick up a landline phone in the area and hear the transmitted conversation emitting from the tower.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 07-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Very helpful info.

Do you think either VHF or UHF is inherently better for our road race tracks?

If I bought a radio set from one of the race radio suppliers, would it come programmed for one of the HAM bands or GMRS, or something else?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

My Dad is big into radio. I got my license a couple of years back because of the quality of the radios that become available on the Ham bands. He is always on my case about making sure I sign in and out when I start a track session and end a track session. It is all about the rules and procedures. I strongly recommend getting a license and using the Ham bands.

There should be a handful of Hams at each event since the majority of the radio communications trackside are on the a controlled band. They will give you more information than you ask for.

Start here:
    http://www.arrl.org/home

KC2ULA
    Last edited by raffaelli; 07-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Marty: There are race radio suppliers who will sell just VHF-UHF radios. Those are the radios that require a business or 'transient' license, and the supplier should take care of the paperwork for you. That's the way they worked when I worked with the IRL. Some suppliers have race track kits available for GMRS radios (helmet harness, PTT switches, crew headsets, etc.) If you use GMRS frequencies, you should have a GMRS license (someone mentioned it above), but I have never seen the FCC at a road course trying to track down very intermittant bootleg signals. Sorry, I don't remember the strengths/weaknesses of VHF/UHF.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Generally, VHF is better outside, UHF is better inside (UHF goes through walls better).

You may want to look into MURS VHF frequencies. They are license free, and will work well enough but for the longest/hilly tracks.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Marty,

If you use the FT60 in the car, and you have a license, the person you are communicating with will need to be licensed as well. I have been using a FT50 since they came out a long time ago along with some Icom 4ATs.

Knowing your background and training, the license exam will be a 1 hour study for you to learn the rules and regs. The theory will be something that you will find elementary. Your local amateur radio club will certainly be happy to walk you through it and will also administer the exam. Not at all like I had to go through in 1975 when I had to drive to Detroit to the field office and sit for the exam.

I think it is the most cost effective method for communication for the club racer. You should still have my phone number, call if you need anything.

Dave
    WB8YTI since '75
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)