Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of ITR at WDC

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    There is something wrong if an ITR car is lapping the entire ITA field............
    I learned last weekend that the Summit ITA record is the 1:24s... holy shit!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    I learned last weekend that the Summit ITA record is the 1:24s... holy shit!
    Of course, many things have changed over the years, but you don't want to get me started on the 1.8 Miata's overdog status in ITA.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    There is something wrong if an ITR car is lapping the entire ITA field............
    To butcher the Eagles, "We haven't had that spirit here since 2008."

If you have a 3-4sec differential over the course of an 18-lap race on a 2mi course, it's certainly possible.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Greggs description of the placement decisions for IT-R at Summit Point are spot on. If the same process was applied at a different track you would come out with a different arrangement of classes in groups. Car counts and class speeds are difficult to match and vary by track. What works at Lime Rock may not work at VIR or the Glen for those two reasons.
    Don't blame WDCR's competition committee for doing what is best for all of the racers rather than 1-3 cars.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So out of curiosity, what was the rationale?

K
    The rationale was that ITR was better suited to run with the big bore cars because of lap times, closing speeds and ITR drivers messing up the S and A races.

After the race I was of the opinion that those should be the reasons to move R back with S and A...can't comment on R guys messing up the races for S and A guys.

But what I respected was they drivers reps were very clear about communicating with me. They were very clear that this run group was the way they wanted it and they weren't changing. Sorta disappointing but hey, no shortage of places to race and it looks like the R guys from Summit have been coming to NJMP which is great for that track.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

There were so few ITR/S guys at NHMS this past weekend that the ITS guys agreed to pull out of Group 8 (ITS, ITR, IT and run with us in G4/STL. After qualifying the ITR guys tried to run in our group as STU, but the Chief Steward would not allow them to do it without an extra entry fee.

To be fair, it was a light attendance weekend overall; as I recall there was only one ITB entry.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    The rationale was that ITR was better suited to run with the big bore cars because of lap times, closing speeds and ITR drivers messing up the S and A races.

After the race I was of the opinion that those should be the reasons to move R back with S and A...can't comment on R guys messing up the races for S and A guys.

But what I respected was they drivers reps were very clear about communicating with me. They were very clear that this run group was the way they wanted it and they weren't changing. Sorta disappointing but hey, no shortage of places to race and it looks like the R guys from Summit have been coming to NJMP which is great for that track.
    Ben if you bring me a video copy of MARRS 1 when I see you at the Glen I will bring you a nice picture of the two of us going into T1 during the race.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    ITR runs fine with S and A and IT7 in SEDiv and I would think that is the natural place for it.
    That's why I am going to be racing with you guys really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Greggs description of the placement decisions for IT-R at Summit Point are spot on. If the same process was applied at a different track you would come out with a different arrangement of classes in groups. Car counts and class speeds are difficult to match and vary by track. What works at Lime Rock may not work at VIR or the Glen for those two reasons.
    Don't blame WDCR's competition committee for doing what is best for all of the racers rather than 1-3 cars.
    Chuck
    Then don't blame us ITR drivers for doing what we feel is in the best interest of our cars & what we feel is for saftey reasons. I have been hit by AS's as they used me for brakes @ T5 (and it wasn't because I was braking early) @ Summit, slow ass GT1's @ Mid Ohio, hit by flying tires from a GT1 car as he smashed into the tire wall not to mentioned that AS hate to let us by and have been hit by a T2 car @ Mid Ohio. You wonder why I'm gun shy??!! In all honesty I've been hit by Spec Pinata's too but they usually don't hurt much except when they slam the door on in a turn while you are going for the lead of a race.

Quote Originally Posted by yannisalex2000 View Post
    Ben if you bring me a video copy of MARRS 1 when I see you at the Glen I will bring you a nice picture of the two of us going into T1 during the race.
    Yannisalex - sent you a PM link of the race - shoot me the cool pic! (I don't think I posted it because I sorta made all the beggining of the season mistakes short of contact).

Dan - you told me I wouldn't like the grouping at SP and you were right. But I very much respect how the drivers reps and the region management want the groupings. I don't agree, but respect it. Pretty unlikely I'll go back which is a shame because I love the track - only been there three times and it's fast and technical and a fun place to figure out.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Being one of the last ITR drivers at Summit Point, it is now a dead class there. I didn't even bother racing the first 4 races of the 2011 seasons, why would I spend all that money just to drive around the track by myself.

The instant the WDCR competition committee put ITR in BB, the end was near.

Rob #43 ITR BMW 325I

...I have been hit by AS's as they used me for brakes @ T5 (and it wasn't because I was braking early) @ Summit, slow ass GT1's @ Mid Ohio, hit by flying tires from a GT1 car as he smashed into the tire wall not to mentioned that AS hate to let us by and have been hit by a T2 car @ Mid Ohio.
    For about the zillionth time this kind of thing has come up, this is not a race group or class problem - this is a dumb-ass selfish driver problem.

There are lots of reasons to not like a particular group's make-up but "[whatever class] causes crashes" is simply not a fair representation of how this game works. Class stickers don't drive cars; drivers drive cars. And if the culture of a region is accepting of people being jerks, then you're going to find jerks all over the place.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    this is a dumb-ass selfish driver problem.
    K
    Then I guess you just classified BB in general & BB @ Summit Point? I rest my case...what ever the reason.

So which group would you like to go in - meaning where the ITR cars fit best besides BB? If in the ITS group, I could see the ITR drivers becoming the issue and getting in the way of the ITS battle.

Maybe do as Stephen said - base the races on time versus number of laps?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    Then I guess you just classified BB in general & BB @ Summit Point? I rest my case...what ever the reason.
    I think he was referring to ITR's stance of not wanting to run in BB, and the drivers that crash and ruin the session for the whole group. Gotta love double edged swords.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I like the idea of time also - most fair to all the classes. If the WDC region put ITR back with other IT cars I'd go back a couple time a year. MARRS I is a great race, early in the season and south enough to be nice and warm in April.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I like the idea of time also - most fair to all the classes. If the WDC region put ITR back with other IT cars I'd go back a couple time a year. MARRS I is a great race, early in the season and south enough to be nice and warm in April.
    Dear Ben,

Please watch your video of the MARRS1 race with someone wading through knee-high water in a yellow racing suit, to refresh your mind.

Thanks, Kai
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

LOL - that's right - we did have an epic flood! Stuff was floating along everywhere
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    Dear Ben,

Please watch your video of the MARRS1 race with someone wading through knee-high water in a yellow racing suit, to refresh your mind.

Thanks, Kai
    He said nice and warm...nothing about dry

I still have clothes that are drying out from that one.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Over the years I got to know and become friends with some great people from the WDC region, everyone helped everyone else and we had some great times at dinners at different places. I hope they come up with something acceptable for ITR car because I miss the people and my friends.
    Last edited by dj10; 07-14-2011 at 09:15 AM.