Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spec lines and variants of a car

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    My bad. Just not sure how it was germain to the topic if it was known illegal - even if they did produce.
    Maybe I should have started that story with "As an aside for the Ford nerds..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Maybe I should have started that story with "As an aside for the Ford nerds..."
    It was the wording. People who are grey on this topic read 'available from the factory' and it sends their heads spinning.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Thanks for the correction Josh! I def came away from that with the wrong idea... I read the GCR three times before I ever even came to an SCCA event three years ago. Its probably time to read it again...

Regarding brochures and options and such... Some of the manufacturers have all the old stuff available online. GM has a whole "heritage" website that is incredible!!!!! It was there that I found the info to prove that the 305 ITR Camaro/Firebird was classified using the wrong horsepower. (No offense ) This was something that I "knew" but didn't have the hard evidence to show those in charge. I now currently have a letter in the works...

Also, said brochures and info are available elsewhere on the web. For example, the regional 240sxONE club that I'm a member of has all the 24sx0 stuff posted on their website in pdf form.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

A discusssion that I started having with Jeff at this weeks race got me thinking.. in the UP/BD rule are you allowed to use any combination of parts within the spec'ed class per UP/BD(heads cams/gear ratios/etc..)? or is it whole assemblies (long block/tranmissions/etc)? I.E. If you had a car classed from 1995-2000. Could you use the 2000 chassis, a 97 block, 95 intake and air monitoring controls, a 98' camshaft and crank, and the 96' cylinder head, gear raios 3-4-5 from the 99' and 1-2 from 98'?

your creation would of never existed on the street but would be legal according to UP/BD. I think I brought this up before, but I do not remember the answer, sorry for my ignorace.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

GCR 9.1.3.C, "Specifications"

To maintain the stock basis of Improved Touring, updating and/or backdating of components is only permitted within cars of the same make, model, body type (e.g., sedan, station wagon, convertible, etc.), and engine size as listed on a single Improved Touring Specification Line. Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system, differential/axle housing). No interchange of parts between assemblies is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or plated). Additionally, it is not permitted to “create” a model or type of car by updating or backdating assemblies.

...which answers the question. But in some cases, you can certainly still legally create a combination that never existed from the factory. My Volvo would be an example, being listed as 1969-1974 on one spec line. This means I can put the SU or Stromberg carb induction assembly (from 1969-72) on a fuel injected long block assembly (from 1971-74). The compression ratio of the US-spec carb engines was 9.3:1, but the 1971 FI engine was 10.5:1 with bigger intake valves. I'm not saying this is necessarily the thing to do, just that there is a fair amount of latitude in this area.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

See, I wonder about that based on that last sentence Greg quoted. I agree with you that is the common perception amongst the membership, but I think the last sentence was designed to prevent you from assembling something that never came off the factory floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    ...which answers the question. But in some cases, you can certainly still legally create a combination that never existed from the factory. My Volvo would be an example, being listed as 1969-1974 on one spec line. This means I can put the SU or Stromberg carb induction assembly (from 1969-72) on a fuel injected long block assembly (from 1971-74). The compression ratio of the US-spec carb engines was 9.3:1, but the 1971 FI engine was 10.5:1 with bigger intake valves. I'm not saying this is necessarily the thing to do, just that there is a fair amount of latitude in this area.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    But in some cases, you can certainly still legally create a combination that never existed from the factory.
    No, you absolutely cannot; it's specifically disallowed. Just because the culture of IT has tolerated it does not make it legal.

Yes, I've been aware of this for some time. No, I have not protested it, I've simply brought it to the attention of the competitors (a.k.a., the preferred ITS RX-7 variants/Frankensteins), who've responded with "but we're all doing it!"

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No, you absolutely cannot; it's specifically disallowed. Just because the culture of IT has tolerated it does not make it legal.
    GA
    IT culture is not part of it, or at least not in my mind. It can certainly be argued that it is specifically allowed, by everything in that paragraph that precedes the last sentence. Maybe we need a re-write.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

that answers my question.. so if the spec'ed specline had two chassis variants with two different engine variations. So to run one engine variation you would have to also run that variation of the chassis to prevent from creating a model.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Let's use the ITR Z3 2.8 liter as an example, where the '97-'98 version was only avalible as a roadster, while the coupe was introduced late '98 as a '99 model year. The roadster then can use either of the 2.8 liter motors, while the coupe can only use the later motor.

Now here's a new wrinkle, what about sourcing parts from different models? Say the my head shares the same part number as out of a M3, or better yet an 525 sedan? Say I call up factory part number:

Part 11121703637 (Cylinder Head With Bearing Ledges)

I get:

E34: Details on E34
    E34 525i Sedan
    E34 525i Touring

E36: Details on E36
    E36 323i Coupe
    E36 323i Convertible
    E36 328i Coupe
    E36 328i Convertible
    E36 328i Sedan
    E36 M3 Sedan
    E36 M3 Coupe
    E36 M3 Convertible

E39: Details on E39
    E39 528i Sedan
    Z3: Details on Z3
    Z3 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Z3 Z3 M Coupe
    Z3 Z3 M Roadster

Then to further complicate matters, the first listing is from a different motor, which is not only smaller it's also a previous generation. So if I follow the part numbers I could also wind up with a frakenstein from two different generations.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

But you can't swap heads... just long blocks.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

So if you crack a head you have to either repair it, or replace the whole longblock...
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I think "Swap" means putting engines in cars that never came with them... Like a big 2.0 Honda engine in a civic.. Or a 1.8vw head on a 2.0L.. never came that way..

You can replace a broken head with an exact equivalent.. Same valves sizes/cam/lifters etc.
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Then to further complicate matters, the first listing is from a different motor, which is not only smaller it's also a previous generation. So if I follow the part numbers I could also wind up with a frakenstein from two different generations.
    You made this argument a few weeks ago. It made no sense then and it still makes no sense now.

If you take a head from an E34 525i for your Z3 2.8, you'll still have something IDENTICAL to the one that you started with. You aren't making anything a frankenstein at all.

The bottom end of the engine that's in my Z3 came out of a 328i So what? It's exactly the same thing. There's no frankenstein involved.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Hey Josh, this is a second variation on that theme. Last time it was about the crankshafts from multiple generations that share the same part number, this time it's swapping the head between different generations.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

But Josh is right. If these parts are identical, then there is no issue.

Are you saying they are not identical?

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Hey Josh, this is a second variation on that theme. Last time it was about the crankshafts from multiple generations that share the same part number, this time it's swapping the head between different generations.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If they are the same they are the same... Cams may be different threw the years due to changes in emissions.
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Yes, I've been aware of this for some time. No, I have not protested it, I've simply brought it to the attention of the competitors (a.k.a., the preferred ITS RX-7 variants/Frankensteins), who've responded with "but we're all doing it!"

GA
    Not sure what "Frankensteins" you are talking about Geg, we use the entire longblock and induction off the later car that is the same body style as all cars listed on the spec line. I would call that SPECIFICALLY ALLOWED by the paragraph quoted. Cue George now. Even more so now that the vin rule is gone. Now if we mix in some turbo parts it crosses the line but there is no model we create that did not exist from the factory.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Not sure what "Frankensteins" you are talking about...
    So there's no mix of S4/S5 parts in any RX-7? No advantageous combo of parts that was not otherwise available from Mazda off the factory line?

So someone can actually find, on a used car lot somewhere, that exact combination of long"block", intake, induction, fuel injection, and engine management (except as allowed otherwise by the ITCS) as everyone is running in their ITS RX7s?

Remember:

...it is not permitted to “create” a model or type of car by updating or backdating assemblies.
    Ergo, if Mazda did not deliver that combo, it's not legal.

GA