Thread: Spec lines and variants of a car

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    In a word, yes. My car and all the ones I have worked on are 89-91 spec all the way and it is the fastest setup and the process weight was set for the high side of the power of that car.

Now I will play your word game. If the rule states that the motor, trans, induction must be updated as a complete assembly then they are different from the later/earlier original so were never delivered from the factory that way. They are specifically different because they may not interchange parts, but were allowed to be changed as entire assemblies. Until the vin rule all of these parts were illegal if we use your assumption because the XYZ motor does not match the vin. But the rules say we can install that longblock. I call that cut and dry that the assemblies could be matched. How do you explain it?
    I agree with Steve. I believe that the intent of the rule was to allow us to use a 1984 motor in a 1983 car. Just to use an example, if I could find a 1984 Shelby Charger, I would want to use that engine since it is rated at 110hp as opposed to 107 for the 1983 (nobody can explain why the difference since all the components and dimentions were the same). But the rules do not say that if I use the 84 engine, then I need to use an 84 transmission.

Are there any examples of the kind of differences proposed here (carb and fuel injection on the same spec line). I would think that this much of a difference would warrant unique spec lines in the ITCS - we do see a lot of that ie in ITR. Ford Mustang (99-04) vs Ford Mustang (05-06).

I really don't think that there are the issues that we are arguing about. I believe that the spec lines take care of these potential issues. If they don't, we need to update the spec lines.

And I do agree that the rule should not allow the creating of outlandish, off the wall models.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 07-07-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add additional text
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com