Thread: Spec lines and variants of a car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Whoa there. No, I'm not saying that stuff is legal, of course it isn't legal. I'm just relating a bit of my experience talking with the guys at Ford. Helpful bunch. Also learned about the factory V6 road race car that Griggs ran for a bit (or tried to run) and some other stuff.

I've done a lot of research and the information I have for a 10/10th build involves production lots/years for blocks, heads, intake castings, and so on. All legal 94-98 parts but there are slight advantages to using say one year over another for reliability or performance.
    My bad. Just not sure how it was germain to the topic if it was known illegal - even if they did produce - hense my response.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    My bad. Just not sure how it was germain to the topic if it was known illegal - even if they did produce.
    Maybe I should have started that story with "As an aside for the Ford nerds..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Maybe I should have started that story with "As an aside for the Ford nerds..."
    It was the wording. People who are grey on this topic read 'available from the factory' and it sends their heads spinning.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Thanks for the correction Josh! I def came away from that with the wrong idea... I read the GCR three times before I ever even came to an SCCA event three years ago. Its probably time to read it again...

Regarding brochures and options and such... Some of the manufacturers have all the old stuff available online. GM has a whole "heritage" website that is incredible!!!!! It was there that I found the info to prove that the 305 ITR Camaro/Firebird was classified using the wrong horsepower. (No offense ) This was something that I "knew" but didn't have the hard evidence to show those in charge. I now currently have a letter in the works...

Also, said brochures and info are available elsewhere on the web. For example, the regional 240sxONE club that I'm a member of has all the 24sx0 stuff posted on their website in pdf form.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

A discusssion that I started having with Jeff at this weeks race got me thinking.. in the UP/BD rule are you allowed to use any combination of parts within the spec'ed class per UP/BD(heads cams/gear ratios/etc..)? or is it whole assemblies (long block/tranmissions/etc)? I.E. If you had a car classed from 1995-2000. Could you use the 2000 chassis, a 97 block, 95 intake and air monitoring controls, a 98' camshaft and crank, and the 96' cylinder head, gear raios 3-4-5 from the 99' and 1-2 from 98'?

your creation would of never existed on the street but would be legal according to UP/BD. I think I brought this up before, but I do not remember the answer, sorry for my ignorace.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

GCR 9.1.3.C, "Specifications"

To maintain the stock basis of Improved Touring, updating and/or backdating of components is only permitted within cars of the same make, model, body type (e.g., sedan, station wagon, convertible, etc.), and engine size as listed on a single Improved Touring Specification Line. Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system, differential/axle housing). No interchange of parts between assemblies is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or plated). Additionally, it is not permitted to “create” a model or type of car by updating or backdating assemblies.

...which answers the question. But in some cases, you can certainly still legally create a combination that never existed from the factory. My Volvo would be an example, being listed as 1969-1974 on one spec line. This means I can put the SU or Stromberg carb induction assembly (from 1969-72) on a fuel injected long block assembly (from 1971-74). The compression ratio of the US-spec carb engines was 9.3:1, but the 1971 FI engine was 10.5:1 with bigger intake valves. I'm not saying this is necessarily the thing to do, just that there is a fair amount of latitude in this area.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael