Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diff Coolers

Matt, it is going under the rear trunk, not sure it would get a ton of airflow through it.

If you tap the cover for the outlet , in line with the ring gear, you can get it to work without a pump.
    Keep the return line lowish, under the full level and it will work amazingly well .
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Others mentioned that to me but with the coolers mounted higher than the diff that worries me and to be honest I am certainly not an engineer or machinist! Keeping it traditional with something like a tilton pump seems easier for me to handle and should be reliable. The cover does have a fill hole up high and a drain plug down low so I was planning on using those to plumb it. Then put in an adaptor for my auto meter gauge so I can still monitor temps ( which is literally pegged after 5 or so laps at 300 the way it is now) and another adaptor for a thermostat that would turn on the fan and pump at 185. ( and turns back off at 165)

Stephen

Thanks for all the advise many of you are way more knowledgeable than i am with this!

Discount sells a rad fan controller for 40$ that can be externally zip tied to the hose/housing etc..
    Reduces leak points and can be set to come on and off over a wide temp range.
    Regarding thermo siphon ,as long as the hot oil line runs up hill a little and is at or under the upper level it will flow. Mount the cooler so that the hot oil flows up hill . You do have to bleed it out a little as an air bubble will slow it down.
    The ring gear cranks it along pretty well , esp synthetic that I assume you are using.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I think you'd be surprised how much airflow you get under the car.. if you want a fan to move air, go right ahead. But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much cooler the diff runs with just a cooler installed to move fluid around.

That said, what fluid are you running? the 240SX clutch-type differentials installed on Prod cars (slicks) will burn up just about anything but Royal Purple. Redline will get sulphury due to the temps getting up above the temp capacity of the oil and causing it to break down and the sulphur separates out. stinky stinky!!

the only fix for that was Royal Purple had low enough friction that it would keep the temps lower and that wouldn't happen.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

We run redline heavy shockproof but with the diff cooler we want to run mt 90 ( probably redline). I already know the shockproof stuff is to thick for a cooler...

It is a torsen type 1 LSD so no clutches.

Stephen

Don't ask how I know that MT-90 will burn up your Mazda diff in short order.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I dont put shockproof in anything lessthan 500HP. Mobil one gear oil works for me and my clients.

Marty, I think most WC and GA cars are running it. What would you recommend?

Stephen

MT-90 is a GL-4 transmission oil. The diff needs GL-5. I've used Red Line, but have settled on Mobil 1, mostly because it's easier for me to get and I also use it in the transmission.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)