Thread: Grattan Double Regional (7/23, 7/24)

Default Grattan Double Regional (7/23, 7/24)

Hi folks,
    Registration is now open for the inaugural 2011 WMR / MC Challenge Double Regional to be held at Grattan Raceway on 7/23, 7/24. This is a co-hosted event with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs (MC). Both of us had poorly attended, money losing events at Grattan last summer so we're combining forces to hold a single event this season. MC licenses and logbooks are good for this event. As usual, there will be an open test day on Friday (7/22).

Since I'm Race Chair and I'm married to the Registrar, make her life easy (and therefore mine as well) and enter early. You can always bring a check to the track (without a late fee) so you don't even have to pay for it now.

If you haven't raced at Grattan before, please come on out and give it a try. It’s a great track with everything you could want in a road course. It's got some very technical bits, a long straight, lots of elevation changes and a wide variety of corners. It's been completely repaved in the last two off seasons and is smoooooth. Lap records will fall.

WMR is known for treating its drivers very well and this event will be no exception. We'll have driver, crew, worker party on Saturday evening. We have a new caterer and their meals were VERY well received at the Cheap Points Double National last month.

Register online at www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com. Schedule, race groupings, entry form and the tech sheet can be found there. Please contact me if you have any questions about the event, need help getting registered, etc. I can be reached at frameh at msu dot edu and 517.575.9450 (before 9pm ET please).

Thanks for your time,
    Dayle

Grattan is a GREAT track, though I haven't been there in years. I just had my $6000 uninsured trailer stolen, so looks like I won't be going anywhere though

Grattan is a GREAT track and the regoins hosting races there are A+!!! I really miss the May Double Regional there. The Holiday weekend gave the Monday for me to get back home and unload/relax. Did that event for many years. Even got a few others to join me for the weekend...

Good luck with the race! Wish I could make it, but this one doesn't fit into my schedule. I really would love to get back to Grattan to race again!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    Grattan is a GREAT track and the regoins hosting races there are A+!!! I really miss the May Double Regional there. The Holiday weekend gave the Monday for me to get back home and unload/relax. Did that event for many years. Even got a few others to join me for the weekend...

Good luck with the race! Wish I could make it, but this one doesn't fit into my schedule. I really would love to get back to Grattan to race again!
    The way the GLDiv scheduling works, we'll be back to a Memorial Day Double Regional in 2012 since our two year run of Double nationals will be over and we can swap our dates back to their usual schedule (DR in May, Nat in August).

Dayle

Quote Originally Posted by wtracing80 View Post
    The way the GLDiv scheduling works, we'll be back to a Memorial Day Double Regional in 2012 since our two year run of Double nationals will be over and we can swap our dates back to their usual schedule (DR in May, Nat in August).

Dayle
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in for this year, but I had to think long and hard to choose between this and the IT-Spectacular.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by wtracing80 View Post

Dayle
    That is GREAT news (for me)!!! Looking forward to getting back in 2012! :026:
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

I will be there but not racing. As a MCSCC member I will be there working F&C. Stop by and say Hi! I'll be in a maroon SVT Contour and camping at the track.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

I thought the event went very well and I had a lot of fun. I wish more ITA cars would have shown up. We only had 5 ITA entrants, which is the lowest I have ever seen at any event I have attended. This is slightly skewed since in MCSCC there is no SMT, so any double-dippers must run ITA, but still, low turnout. Met a few new people from SCCA regions.

I choose to run with the ITS and Production cars for more track time as well, so I got to race with more new folks. The WMR officials worked with me very well so that I could do this in back to back groups on Saturday. Thanks again.

Saturday's race had a lot of space with only 8 cars in the IT group. On Sunday we got grouped with the SMs and SRFs. Actually worked out quite nice as the 2 front SMs were very quick and I got to try my best hand at keeping up with the SRFs (I knew it wasn't gonna happen, but was more fun than staring at open track). I was a little disappointed with my times, but I think the blazing heat and heavy rain on Friday made for a slow track. It felt greasy the entire weekend, and the high HP rear-drive guys were complaining more than me.
    Last edited by mc-integra111; 07-25-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

sorry i did not get up there to meet you. i was at the West Michigan Honda Meet at Gingerman part of the weekend trying to get a little seat time in this years $2011 Grassroots Challenge car.

little was right. blew the head gasket on the first lap......

but at least the car felt predictable in the turns, etc.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Sorry I didn't catch you home in your paddock Jared. I wimped out on racing due to the heat, so I spent most of the weekend in the start stand. I was pretty impressed to see you come down pit lane and straight into grid for the next session.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I knew the WMHM was at Gman the same weekend, but I kinda figured that it wouldn't steal any entries. I thought it was mainly for street and track day cars, not full prep MC/SCCA race cars. Sorry to hear about your head gasket.

Thanks for the compliment Marty. It is kinda neat how the pit out is right at false grid in. The back-to-back sessions were a little tough. It was nice having the ST/Prod group 2nd (the group I didn't care about the result) so if I did start to feel the heat, I could have just come in. Also, thanks for helping out and covering the starter stand. I have a lot of respect for the racers that spend their non-race weekends helping the club put on events so others can race.
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra