Thread: 330xi starter removal help needed.

Default 330xi starter removal help needed.

OK, its not for a race car, but I'm sure some of you BMW racers know the agony I think I'm about to dive into.

Need to replace a starter on a 330xi sedan, '04. Bentley suggests a few simple things, like removing it from the bottom, after removing shields, fuel lines and lowering the transmission 4cm.

There is SO much more in the way, like a differential, driveshaft, and other stuff...I can't even SEE the thing.

help! Any experts know the smart/right way to do this?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hey Jake,

My wife has a 330i, so I have some idea of what your facing. The starter is burried under the intake manifold, which is 2/3's of the way under the front of the firewall. So, maybe the Bentley manual has a point on lowering the motor. But, I realize that as an xi you've got the front axle in the way. Still, since the motor's bolted to the front cross member, I suspect that you could remove the four bolts that hold the crossmember on and the four that hold the eyeball joint, and the four nuts that hold the sway bar on, you could lower away. But, before you do that, you might want to remove the radiator to get some extra room. Just some random thoughts...

BTW, the botom cover is held on by quarter-turn fasteners, and you'll find lots of similar little short cuts. I think you'll be suprised at how easy it'll be.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 06-21-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Pull the intake, removing the front drive shaft does help a little, but the upper T50(6 point 3/8s wrench works) is impossable from below... If you have never replaced the PCV sysem, now is the time... The last IX starter I did I charged 8 hours... 80% of my work is E46's.. I have tryed dropping sub frame/trans/ x-member, ya need 2 hands to get the socket on the upper bolt....

If ya need phone help, 402-617-7451... Text first... I will call ya back...
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 06-22-2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: forgot...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

OH ya, there is a vacuum can under the intake that's the size of a starter,( remove front drive shaft to get to it) remove that and you will see the starter... The other thing is if you managed to get the starter unbolted from the trans, I dont think there is space to get it out with the front Diff there, that is bolted to the oil pan.... The sound deadening pad becomes a PTA also, it starts to sag, and grow right where you need to be...

My opinion is the easiest way is to pull the intake mani, TB, The gaskets seem to be re-usable, viton or super rubber! Now the PCV, there should be a kit somewhere, 5 hoses & PCV... When doing this, remove the oil dip stick tube and make sure its not plugged, about 50% are...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Awesome Lael!
    Yes, I looked and looked and I can't see how I could get the thing out even if I did somehow unbolt it. Not to mention getting the wires off. SO much in the way, and yes, I've spotted that canister and thought IT had to go too.

I'm going in from the top. Far more comfortable to do. Sadly I JUST did the entire cooling system (as a pre-emptive measure as they are known issues around 100K miles) and bled the thing to perfection. Grrrr, LOL

I'd order this all from pelican, but they are cali based and I'm in CT, so shipping time is an issue.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com