Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark $ecrets – The Realities of Pro Racing

That's awesome Anthony, thanks for posting!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

60-80 % of the field at the pro road races are paying to be there. Very few are paid to drive. Some of the crew work for 100$ per, just to be around race cars. It is a long , hot, job.
    The Nationwide Nascar is a little better, maybe the top 10-15 are paid, the rest have some sort of vested interest in the outcome. Many rent rides @ 20-50k per race.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ITEGT View Post
    Dave,
    Great articles!!!

I really enjoy reading them and also wanted to say "thank you." Your book "Go ahead- Take the wheel Racing on your budget" was a great guide and one that I often came back to through out the different stages of my first race car build. Ive completed my SCCA double school and finished three races so far this year.

Anthony
    MiDiv #28
    ITE Mustang
    My son & I are also in our first season of Club Racing. In reading all that goes on in "Pro" racing it makes what we've done all that much more satisfying. To have bought a car almost 8 years ago from a private seller(bad radiator, ripped top, lousy paint...it was love at first sight) and to build it year after year going from autocross to time trials/hill climbs and now Club Racing is an experience like no other. Yes, it's "cheaper" to buy a log booked car and go racing but, that first podium finish (2nd of 4 in class) was the greatest...with my son, my car, our blood, sweat & tears...and his Mom there as crew chief at every event along the way. I don't think winning an F1 title can hold a candle to that.
    Last edited by Mseiler; 07-05-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata
    Matthew 19:26

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    My son & I are also in our first season of Club Racing. In reading all that goes on in "Pro" racing it makes what we've done all that much more satisfying. To have bought a car almost 8 years ago from a private seller(bad radiator, ripped top, lousy paint...it was love at first sight) and to build it year after year going from autocross to time trials/hill climbs and now Club Racing is an experience like no other. Yes, it's "cheaper" to buy a log booked car and go racing but, that first podium finish (2nd of 4 in class) was the greatest...with my son, my car, our blood, sweat & tears...and his Mom there as crew chief at every event along the way. I don't think winning an F1 title can hold a candle to that.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    Ahmen!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Cant buy that time. My Son and Ihave built a few cars also. That is what it is all about. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

We have truly been blessed. And, it's not just the fact that we're getting to do this as a family but, the great people we've come to know along the way. It has made for a great life.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata
    Matthew 19:26

This next article is about an ITB driver who progressed up the ladder.
    Eric's father continues to race in the N.E. (I race with him regularly).

One thing that makes his story a bit unique compared to most is that he didn't do it using a lot of his own money and was done by putting himself in the right places, luck, and a lot of talent.

During our discussion he talked about his Realtime experience and while he laughed about it, one could tell that was a rude wake up call to the realities of this sport.

Insight from a Pro Who Made It: Eric Curran
    Dave Gran

Jake Gulick and I were fortunate enough to be able to sit down with the owner of Highcroft Racing, Duncan Dayton. I have to say it was really cool and insightful on what it's like as an AMLS team. Great guy and a true racer a heart. It's worth the read but of course I maybe slightly biased. lol

Here's the linky to the article.
    Dave Gran

Simply EXCELLENT!!

My eye opener was the year Al Sr won Indy in 87. He was let go by Penske at the end of 1986 due to money and his ride went to Danny Ongais using Ted Fields money. He walked the garages looking for a ride. "King Hiro" had three chassis/engine combos to try using Panasonic Money. A rookie with no wins. Danny O crashed and got a concussion so Penske put Al back in and he won. Had he not crashed, Al would have been without a ride, a three time winner at that point!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I like to cut my butter with a chainsaw, why do you ask?
    Jim Locke
    Preps, ITS, ITR, SM, Vintage stuff, Land speed stuff, ST, Drag race stuff. Ya know race stuff!

I couldn't believe how nervous I was going into the Duncan interview. Of course I forgot the voice recorder in the truck and needed to quickly run and get it. If this had been about topics I didn't care about so much, it would have been much easier (but not nearly as exciting).

There were many things that I thought were really cool about this experience, including how busy they were but Duncan never rushed us and after a long interview gave us a tour of the place personally. I was a fan of Highcroft and this boosted things for me at least.
    Dave Gran