Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark $ecrets – The Realities of Pro Racing

Default Dark $ecrets – The Realities of Pro Racing

A few years ago I was introduced to the harsh realities of professional road racing in the U.S., but realize many people haven’t been exposed to this side. For the past few months I’ve been working on a series of articles that discusses what it’s really like from a financial perspective, how to become a “pro” driver, to a behind-the-scenes look into a top notch team. While I thought I understood how things operate, there plenty of aspects I found eye opening.

Among the many people I spoke with, Eric Curran who started in ITB and whose father I race against discussed his experiences. Jake Gulick and I were also fortunate enough to meet with Duncan Dayton whose the owner of back-to-back American Le Mans team Highcroft racing. Talk about impressive!

I thought that many of you would find this an interesting read. As part of rolling this series out, I’ve also made several enhancements to how the site is organized which should make it more user-friendly. It’s also being expanded to include many more advanced topics such as race tire technology (Hoosier has been a great help with this!).

Thanks again for all of the continued support! If you end up liking this, I’d really appreciate you sharing it with others.

Introduction to Series

Part I - Dark $ecrets – The Realities of Pro Racing
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave, how could you write such a thing and crush the dreams of a fellow ITBer?!?!?!?

Seriously, nice articles and VERY eye-opening. I'm looking forward to future editions.

Dan
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

I still had hope of having a career with a pro team then Duncan from Highcroft told us how many hours a day his staff works.... Gulp. Almost seems like for some of these gigs you need to be single or have the significant other in racing too.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I still had hope of having a career with a pro team then Duncan from Highcroft told us how many hours a day his staff works.... Gulp. Almost seems like for some of these gigs you need to be single or have the significant other in racing too.
    ^^^ the #1 reason i didn't persue a job in pro racing. by the time I was out of college with my BSME I had a dog and a desire to see him once or twice a year. now I'm married with a baby. I always wondered why dad never did the things he said he always wished he had. it takes a special breed that it at once selfless and humble yet completely selfish at the same time. most of us just cant or wont do it.

good stuff Dave. keep it up!

What a great article! I enjoyed reading it. Has a lot of useful information. How about those rental prices, eh?
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I look forward to reading. I've tried to become part of the Highcroft team many times (as a volunteer) for the same reason of learning what it takes to go pro racing and it's nearly impossible.

Thanks guys!!!

I was actually really surprised with how much time Duncan spent with us. We were allotted an hour but went over that just talking, then on top of that he personally gave us a tour of the facility. This was all right before they left to Sebring and the new car was still in pieces.
    Last edited by gran racing; 06-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Thanks guys!!!

I was actually really surprised with how much time Duncan spent with us. We were allotted an hour but went over that just talking, then on top of that he personally gave us a tour of the facility. This was all right before they left to Sebring and the new car was still in pieces.
    And those pieces were REALLY cool to look at and try and figure out how they all assembled!

Chip, I had a friend in Cali who was a bright engineer. He was into cars, so at lunch we'd BS. He did a little engineering on the side for some racers and was offered positions. I asked why he didn't take them. "Why would I? Yea, racing's cool and all, but I can work 9-5 right here in SoCal, play with even cooler aerospace bits, be home on the weekends, AND get paid more, with full benefits and retirement."

Oh, I see, LOL.

Even for the top dog teams, it's a sketchy deal. Duncan runs a top notch organization. But he's not immune to the changing winds of the sponsorship realities, and when the tsunami hits, and Honda pulls out, the money dries up. Same is true for firms like Boeing, of course, but on a lesser scale.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for posting that. I re-posted your links with your credit to another forum of folks that might be interested.

Much appreciated Ron.

My hope is that somehow people will become interested enough and learn how much fun Club Racing is that they give that a try even if the intent is as a stepping stone.
    Dave Gran

Damn straight. Haven't read the piece, but am looking forward to it. Having known a few guys who've flirted with that side, and having ready access to it myself as a career path - I much prefer coming home on the weekend and playing with my own racecars than sitting on the sideline trying to make someone else's car faster, and never getting a weekend off.

Actually, that sounds like my life now with the DSR, only I'd have a paycheck... LOL
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Damn straight. Haven't read the piece, but am looking forward to it. Having known a few guys who've flirted with that side, and having ready access to it myself as a career path - I much prefer coming home on the weekend and playing with my own racecars than sitting on the sideline trying to make someone else's car faster, and never getting a weekend off.

Actually, that sounds like my life now with the DSR, only I'd have a paycheck... LOL
    Except noone is gonna kick your butt out of your beloved DSR if a new hotshot kid shows up and does a better laptime...!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    Except noone is gonna kick your butt out of your beloved DSR if a new hotshot kid shows up and has more money.
    Fixed.

Exactly Greg! Curren's forthcoming article talks about a successful year he had, only to lose his ride to exactly what you said - another driver willing to pay.
    Dave Gran

It was my initial goal to move from karts to the FV and then try to move into the pro F2000 series either using my dads car or renting. I went to a racing camp/school one year before I started in the FV. The instructors were all pro racers from California, Virginia and pretty much everywhere. An instructor suggested I go for the Skip Barber National series. So I looked into it, once I saw it was 40k for a season I decided to give up and just have fun with it. I paid for pretty much everything and there is no way I was going to do well in FV with the money I had. (I was 6th at the biggest race of the year until my steering broke at Summit Point T10 and I ended up clearing the gravel and hitting the tires at 85mph)After that I sold the FV and bought my IT car last year and it's awesome. I do feel bad for people in pro racing, I don't see how it can be any fun.

Steven
    Last edited by SMac92; 06-22-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Quote Originally Posted by SMac92 View Post
    I do feel bad for people in pro racing, I don't see how it can be any fun.
    It can be tons of fun, as long as you, the driver, have ton$ of personal ca$h to throw around year in and year out...

It's interesting, because sometimes an old friend will contact me after doing a web search and begin asking questions about my racing. "OMG, you ARE a race car driver? Neato! Where can I watch you on TV?" I always reply that I'm not a pro racer, but that it doesn't necessarily make any difference. For any of us could be Senna incarnate for all we know, but without the big money to show it...
    Last edited by RedMisted; 06-23-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

The highs are very high and the lows can be very low.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Part 2 of the series is now up.

Dark $ecrets – When Things Go Wrong
    Dave Gran

The next article in the series is now posted:

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/b...-getting-paid/
    Dave Gran

Dave,
    Great articles!!!

I really enjoy reading them and also wanted to say "thank you." Your book "Go ahead- Take the wheel Racing on your budget" was a great guide and one that I often came back to through out the different stages of my first race car build. Ive completed my SCCA double school and finished three races so far this year.

Anthony
    MiDiv #28
    ITE Mustang