Thread: Lean indication from O2 sensor

Default Lean indication from O2 sensor

My type r's stock o2 sensor is plugged into a remote display. The car has a cell, with aftermarket pump, The engine control is a Hondata 300 system. My display will show complete lean condition about 5 minutes into a session, generally coming back to normal on the drive into the pits. I am not seeing any change in performance and it seems to have been this way for a year. The plugs looks fine. The tank is properly vented. I have a filter on the fuel pump inlet, it seems to be clear. Any ideas? Is this possibly a failure mode of the sensor?

Of 15 years of running o2 displays, this is the first time I've seen something like this......

That's not a wideband O2 sensor, is it Bob? On top of the stock O2 sensor possibly shifting its range, my guess is that the system IS tuned a bit leaner than the narrowband O2 sensor expects (optimum stoichiometric ratio, around 14.7:1). In its very narrow view of the world the car is not running in that range, thus it's LEAN LEAN LEAN!!!
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Check and solder all your connections to the WBO2....if there is a bad/loose connection, it will read lean. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!