Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
How do you figure? There is no build restriction placed on any 3.0L BMW engine in STU. The E36 M3 3.2L engine has to run stock cam lift (not stock cams) this year because the class displacement limit is currently 3L; however, that engine will be allowed to run uncorked next year (@3520# pounds) when we raise the displacement limit to 3.2 liters for 2012...

I believe our plan is to leave that current engine build restriction in Table A for 2012 to accommodate a Spec E36 classing request, so you can build it either way, whichever you prefer. - GA
Correct on wording regarding stock camshaft LIFT.

BMW E36 M3 (95-99) max displ 3200 min weight 3200
Engines are permitted 0.040 overbore, 0.5
point increase in compression.
Engines must use the OEM camshaft lift.

'95 was the 3.0L
'96-99 was the 3.2l

With that table, is there anything stopping someone from dropping a 3.2L S54 into an E36 M3 right now, overboring and bumping compression 0.5?

The only limit is on max displacement it seems, for the E36M3, which is a chassis. Nothing stopping anyone from putting a built S50 (3.0L USDM engine) into an E30 bmw and going nutzo with cams and upping compression and such...that will be 290 at the wheels easy in that case.

If this isn't class creeep I don't know what is. If that's the intent, so be it, but it would be wise then to also do something along the lines like make STL a National class and bump the displacment limit to under 2500cc, to give all the current STU cars. Or perhaps just leave the class alone for a little while. Rules stability is important, lack of rules stability was a huge problem for BMW CR for a number of years and the result was significantly declining participation from 2002-2007.

Increasing the class displacement limit to 3.2L is solving what problem that presently exists? That opens the door to the E46 M3 with the S54 engine and the Acura NSX with the C32B engine, just off the top of my head.