I built my car with BSI's suspension set-up, which includes their camber plates with a 1" spacer welded on top of the strut tower. The shock bodies have been shortened and have Koni 8611-1257 shocks in them. When installed in the car, the springs already have tension on them, which means the shock piston can't extend any more. When the car is on the ground, I estimate that the piston is only compressed into the body about 1" or less. I only got about 5 races out of the first set and 4 for this last set. My thinking is that they are getting damaged from topping out instead of bottoming out.
Anybody had the same problem and found a solution? Right now I'm thinking of using a non-shortened strut body and placing a spacer inside of the strut body to get the same length but allowing the shock piston to be closer to the middle of the shock. Doing this, I would get about 2 1/2" before it tops out and 3" before it bottoms out.
Lowering the car even more is probably not an option, since the lower control arms are already pointing up.
What do you think?