Thread: Tires and brakes for an ITC Datsun

Default Tires and brakes for an ITC Datsun

I am buying a B210 with low expectations - I am retired and just looking to have fun. However, I want to be competitive and safe. I have raced in prepared cars for 35 years.

Going to DOT tires raises questions. Specifically, what tires seem to be the most competitive? Looking for some formula of competitveness and long life!

Is there a comp lining for rear drums? Currently using a stock rear lining.

Anyone out there running an A series car in IT or am I the only one????

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Payne View Post
    I am buying a B210 with low expectations - I am retired and just looking to have fun. However, I want to be competitive and safe. I have raced in prepared cars for 35 years.

Going to DOT tires raises questions. Specifically, what tires seem to be the most competitive? Looking for some formula of competitveness and long life!

Is there a comp lining for rear drums? Currently using a stock rear lining.

Anyone out there running an A series car in IT or am I the only one????

John

There is a guy running a Datsun 210 down here in Fla (name is Scott Larson), but I don't know him.

On tires, Hoosiers are still the most competitive, along with Hankooks, and we have found the newer Goodyear DOT tire to be equal to the Hoosiers. I can't speak to longevity on the Hoosiers as we've never had a new set. On the Goodyears, they were fast, but seemed to drop off significantly in performance after the 9th-10th heat cycle. We also ran Nitto NT-01's, and we feel like though they are maybe a notch slower than the other tires when new, seem to give you more competitive heat cycles. Maybe up to 15 or so.

On the brakes it looks like Carbotech has shoes and pads for B210s: http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp?Make=Nissan

They work very well (especially the shoes vs other compounds back there), but make sure you get plenty of cooling to the discs up front. Might no be as necessary on your lighter car though.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."