Thread: Brake caliper mounting question..

Default Brake caliper mounting question..

So I'm working on installing a set of aftermarket calipers on my car, and the mounting ears on the stock spindle are in the way. i.e. the factory mounting tabs run into the body of the caliper when I straddle the tabs with the ones on the caliper. (I can provide a photo if needed.)

In order to fit the planned rotor and caliper, I need to cut off one or both of the existing mounting ears and attach a different mounting scheme.

9.1.4.O.10 says:
    Brake calipers, whether OEM or aftermarket, shall be mounted in the stock locations.
    I still plan to mount the caliper in the stock location relative to the spindle/rest of the car, but it won't be mounted to the stock bolt holes on the spindle.

Before I get out the bandsaw and TIG, is this okay?
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 06-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

IMO, it is not legal to modify any other component to install alternate brakes. It goes back to those words "Unless a particular modification or part is approved in these rules, the vehicle and all of its relevant parts and assemblies shall be stock for the correct make and model of car."

If you'd like the STAC to discuss it, send a request for clarification through the CRB submission form.

Okie dokie. they already allow modification of steering components (i.e. front control arm) for reinforcement/adjustability as long as it's recognizable as a stock part.

Considering they allow floorpan and tunnel modifications for allowed transmission and exhaust clearance, I don't see this being a stretch outside of simply translating this to the spindle in order to make an allowed brake modification fit.

I'll get together a couple drawings/photos of what I want to do and submit to the STAC.

Thanks!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

While that is true, Matt, those allowances are specifically called out. And to that point, we actually have a 2012 rule change pending with the BoD to allow modifications to the floor pan to be able to install the allowed alternate transmissions.

So using that logic, I think it further cements my opinion that lacking an express allowance, you cannot modify another part to installed an allowed part... - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    While that is true, Matt, those allowances are specifically called out. And to that point, we actually have a 2012 rule change pending with the BoD to allow modifications to the floor pan to be able to install the allowed alternate transmissions.

So using that logic, I think it further cements my opinion that lacking an express allowance, you cannot modify another part to installed an allowed part... - GA
    Yeah, letter 4262 regarding the floorpan mods for the tranny was mine. the rules did specifically say you can modify for exhaust clearance, but didn't say anything about transmission clearance. I asked to clarify and that was done. IIRC that was in March Fastrack.

I'm very familiar with the IIDSYCYC or whatever it is acronym..

Given the fact that all this other stuff IS allowed to make allowed modifications fit, I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed as well- the mod serves no other purpose and has no other benefit than to provide clearance for an already allowed modification. However, I agree with your opinion about it not being said and is thus disallowed at present. that's why I asked and why I'll ask STAC for clarification before doing it.

Edit.. #5192 submitted with drawings.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 06-13-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7