Thread: Spark plug wires . . .

Default Spark plug wires . . .

I'm going to replace the plug wires. Simple. However, there are so many to choose from, and the price ranges from $30 to $200!! I'm interested in reading your opinions about which plug wires are the best.

I'll spend the $200.00 if it makes a difference. Do plug wires make a big difference?

As always, thanks!
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

I just buy the build it yourself v8 plug wire kits, and use the older style distributor cap that they fit on. You won't make gains with plug wires, but could find losses with bad/damaged ones.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Magencores

Chris' statement "You won't make gains with plug wires, but could find losses with bad/damaged ones." is absolutely correct.

My racecar resides in the backyard of the owner, but I have used these for 20 years without ever having a single problem, or even degradation.

http://www.rapidparts.com/brand/Blue-Igniters/20/1

OTOH if you can find real German Bosch wires they are fine too.

Magnecores are great, but the boots.... IMHO feh.

DZ

I go with blue ignitors also. Priced reasonably, good quality and holds up very well. Little to be gained with plug wires, but much can be lost.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

As always, thanks very much! The car developed a miss and we found that fiddling with the plug wire removed it. The plug wires seem to have a bit of a short. I am realizing that I need to be pretty vigilant with all this stuff.

I am heading to the competition school at Mid-Ohio on Thursday and then my first "real" race this weekend.

Here's hoping that with a new set of plug wires the car will continue to run as well as it did during my school at Nelson-Ledges.
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]