Thread: Best aftermarket wheel bearings?

Default Best aftermarket wheel bearings?

What are the best non-OEM wheel bearings? I've read that Timken are typically good. What about Beck-Arnley? Are they as good as OEM?

Nissan wants $100+ for bearings and Rock Auto has Timken for $37 front and $80 rear.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Timken, Koyo (sp ?) and SKF.

Beck Arnley is a reboxer of parts. So you never know what actual brand you are going to get, mostly whatever they source for the cheapest.
    After twenty years in the import parts biz, I agree with Joeg Timiken, Koyo, and SKF, and FAG. However watch the source country very closely. Stay away from China, India, and other places on the "dirt pile" known as the third world.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

What they said. S13 bearings are replaceable, but the S14 front bearings are an assembly and you can only replace the entire hub. be careful with what you're buying.

Also read this article from MotoIQ about the bearings. whatever you buy, do this to them and they'll do better. http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ike-i-did.aspx
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I just bought a set of SKF's, box says they are made in the USA.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I have a set of Timkin bearings for the fronts I've been planning on installing for a few years now. I was kinda curious to see how long the original ones would last (originally on the car when I bought it, with 195k miles - probably not the OEM parts), but since I've owned the car for almost 10 years, and have been racing it for almost 5, and they still haven't given out...maybe it's time to replace them just because

Oh, and I always thought one of the secrets to making wheel bearings live longer was to make sure and re-torque them after driving a few miles (or in our case, after a track session).
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Oh, and I always thought one of the secrets to making wheel bearings live longer was to make sure and re-torque them after driving a few miles (or in our case, after a track session).
    I've learned from experience that smashing the car into walls doesn't help the wheel bearings very much either...

+1 one to all of the above
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

This will be my second time replacing wheel bearings. First time was a year or so after I got the car. I used Nissan bearings the first time, but didn't know to change out the grease. I haven't done a whole lot of races the past few years so I'm kind of surprised they're worn. Maybe it was the grease or maybe Road Atlanta is just hard on bearings. I'll see if I can find a SKF dealer and compare the price to the Timkens.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

David, whichever you buy try to find ones made in Japan. I think I replaced the zx's with Timken or Koyo, but found ones manufactured there. They use much better materials.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Saddly some SKF and FAG bearings are now made in china.......Just be sure and check what is says on the bearing not just the box.

jersey Guest

Default I think Joeg Timiken would be better, whether shiny or life, are very good

I think Joeg Timiken would be better, whether shiny or life, are very good

I can't find any Koyo wheel bearings for the 240sx after lots of searching. Anybody got a source for Koyo bearings or even know if they make them for the 240sx? At this point it's either Timken or Nissan OEM. For whatever reason Rockauto has Timken front bearings for $37 while SKF is $51. I may just pick up several of the Timkens at that price. Timken rear bearings are $85 and Courtesy has the Nissan ones for $117. $30 more for Nissan ones doesn't seem too bad.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I have found that many replacement sealed wheel bearings come with very little grease in them. I have taken to poping the seal off and cleaning the stock grease out and repacking them with a better quality grease. I know that this lack of grease was the reason for a bearing failure in less then a year on my DD. Since I have started doing this I have not had a bearing failure.
    Last edited by jimbbski; 06-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Is it a timken 305ag bearing? Check amazon.com 32.00!!!!
    I just got Japanese rear wheel bearings for my 318i for 21.02 a piece!! Cheapest I could find anywhere was 67!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

One thing to keep in mind is that it seems lots of S13s have wheel bearing failure and the torque specs for these are significantly lower than on the S14. I recommend torquing the bearings to at least the max of the specs, if not a bit higher. When I put them on my car, I pound the crap out of the locknut with my impact wrench. haven't had a front one fail yet, and the rear one that failed at my last race was at least 20 years old. the other 3 are OEMs that were on the car when I bought it in 2003.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Today Rockauto had Timken front bearings for $35 and rear for $80. So I now have several bearings ordered. I figure I'll have some extras on hand. Just in case I mess one up trying to get it open to put in new grease for instance.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Got the Timken bearings today. They are Japanese bearings. The front ones say NSK and the rears NTN. Now I just need to split them open to replace the grease. Anybody got any hints on opening them up? Just take a screwdriver and pop out one of inner race halves? That seems to be the only way, but I've never done it.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Refer to my link in post #4 for instructions on how to take them apart.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Some timkin are reboxed, some are tapered rollers. You want the rollers.
    Either way, be careful, pry out the seal and regrease with your favorite synthetic grease.
    Note, not IT legal according to Jake, it is not of the OE Specs. be careful!!MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Katrina was good to my car. I have been running stock bearings for 6 years now. I do have spares in the box for this very statement. But no issues with my S13 or any of the ones I have built(7)
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com