Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

I just spoke to TROY at Real Wheel:
    15x7 aluminum wide five wheel is 7.0 lbs (thats seven) at 169.93 a piece
    and adaptors to go from 5x4.5 to wide five are 132. each!!
    Also figure approximately 3 1/2 weeks lead time!!
    Also Chris Rallo look at Douglas wheels in Jegs catalog 15x14 is 10.75 lbs!!!
    Last edited by DoubleXL240Z; 06-06-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: I before E
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    I know, I know! I guess I FAILed to be funny... apparently the OP talked to the wrong person at Real Wheel, or something was lost in translation...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

That is a deal. Calling Troy now.

What do these wheels look like?

R

The big difference is the wide five portion of hte message was lost in translation...
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Just talked to Troy too. Yes, the wide five is 7.0 pounds but it must be used with the wide five adapter that weighs 5.0 pounds for a total wheel weight of 12 lbs. The advantage to these wheels is if you bend them the wheel is fairly cheap to replace at $169.93 as you are not paying for a center.

Wide five wheel:

Wide five adapter:

Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.

12 lbs is pretty light for $236 corner thats figuring 8 wheels initially!
    replacement at $169 each
    Chris,Its all good! I didn't think that was right either!!
    I knew they were light, but not THAT light!!
    Last edited by DoubleXL240Z; 06-06-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

I have a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 and a set of Volk TE-37s in 15x7. The Volks are 11 lbs and the TDs are 13 lbs. I just got a couple more Volks a few months ago because one of mine cracked. I paid more for two Volks than I did for all 4 TD wheels. I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't already have 3 of them. You can get the Volks in white and I'm in the process of painting all of mine black.

TD can pretty much make any offset/bolt pattern you want. I had mine made in a particular offset. It'll just take a couple months to get them. A set of 4 TD wheels will run you $600. Just call them direct.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

12 lbs is pretty light for $236 corner thats figuring 8 wheels initially!
    Not $236 a corner though.

$169 per wheel, $132 per adapter, for $301 per corner.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Ok, Spinwerkes info. The number, which was damn hard to get ahold of, is 562-467-1522. Talked to Peggy and she provided a racer discount with quantity purchase of eight to twelve wheels, $208 each, 1-5" in back spacing in 0.25" increments. The wheel would be 11.2 lbs which is quite good considering price/weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Not $236 a corner though.

$169 per wheel, $132 per adapter, for $301 per corner.
    he means 8 wheels + 4 adapters for a total cost of $235/wheel equivalent at the stated minimum order of 2 sets.

IMHO these will look really odd, but they might be a good long term solution. check to make sure apalachin tire or whomever you use can balance them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    he means 8 wheels + 4 adapters for a total cost of $235/wheel equivalent at the stated minimum order of 2 sets.

My bad, true.

IMHO these will look really odd, but they might be a good long term solution. check to make sure apalachin tire or whomever you use can balance them though.
    Same kind of wheels many GT1, GTA, SPO etc use!!
    Chip, Bill R's Buick and Falcon use these!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

I don't think I'd use the Real Wheels. I do look odd. And the Spin Werkes wheels are lighter and cheaper, plus, I've used the Spin Werkes product on the Z for three years with no problems.

Volks TE37 or Spin Werkes are the front runners thus far at 9.2 lbs and 11.2 lbs respectively.

A 15x7 TE37 is not 9.2 lbs. It is 11-11.5lbs. My scale says 11.5, but it's probably a touch off.

David - who has two TE37 rims sitting in the hall that he just painted
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Same kind of wheels many GT1, GTA, SPO etc use!!
    Chip, Bill R's Buick and Falcon use these!
    yeah wide 5 is common in big 'merican stuff, but I've never checked the wheel diameter or balancing capability of them becaus eI play with knives, not hammers. I know if you took that wheel to a standard tire place for a balance you'd be SOL. I'm betting race tire guys have some sort of adapter they use on the spin balancers.

moot point - he wants "normal" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    A 15x7 TE37 is not 9.2 lbs. It is 11-11.5lbs. My scale says 11.5, but it's probably a touch off.

David - who has two TE37 rims sitting in the hall that he just painted
    Now that is damned interesting. I too have always been skeptical of published wheel weights and I have weighed my own wheels on my own scales. I know the Koneig Rewind 15x7 weighs ~13.4 lbs and the Spin Werkes 15x7 weighs ~11.25 lbs. Both of these wheels I used on my Z.

Sounds like Volks might need need to adjust their weights. Jeff has Volks wheels but I've never weighed one of his and besides, they are not TE37s.

EDIT
    After calling around to a few Volks distributors I found a guy who actually had wheels in stock and could check out weights and prices. According to Shawn at Vivid Racing (866-448-4843):

*The TE37 in a 5 x 4.25" (Mustang) is 11.25 lbs but is limited in availability for a five lug, might not be available anymore unless he can find old stock. $532 each, have four on hand.

*RE30 is the lightest Volk wheel made at 9.81 lbs, so it makes the "9 lb" wheel mark, but just barely. However, it isn't available in a Mustang pattern and would need a wheel adapter that has five studs, plus the five additional lugs to secure the adapter to the hub. All that weighs at least 1.5 lbs so that negates the slight weight advantage these have. $550 each.

*CE28N is in 5 x 4.25" and is 10.58 lbs. $550 each.
    Would be the best choice for Volk because the pattern is native and the wheel is light.

All of these Volk wheels are lead times of two to three months quoted. I think Jeff's actually took longer than that but I'm not sure.

For my money it is looking like the Spin Werkes at 11.2 lbs for $208 each is the deal.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Sounds right on the weight of the Volk Ron. Mine are 5 on 114.3 (4.5) and weigh 11.3. I understand they are like unicorns now and you will wait forever and not get them.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I just came back from the trailer -- I have the RE30. We weighed them Ron. I think high 9s is right, and the Pro Race2 were 13 or something.

"Volk" is actually something called "Ray's Engineering." I first tried to order them from some outfit in Florida, sent a deposit and never got the wheels. Probably very lucky to get the deposit back.

Worked through Vivid Racing and they are great folks. Got them in a few months I think, but it did take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Sounds right on the weight of the Volk Ron. Mine are 5 on 114.3 (4.5) and weigh 11.3. I understand they are like unicorns now and you will wait forever and not get them.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The RE30s are nice wheels but aren't "9.0 lbs" as advertised on a number of websites. 9.8 lbs according to Vivid, and 9.8 lbs is closer to 10 lbs than 9 lbs. For the Mustang they require an adapter that will weigh over 1.5 lbs putting the wheel package on par or slightly heavier than the TE37s or the Spin Werkes.

It is looking like for a 15x7" useable wheel on a Mustang about 11.2 lbs is it, so Spin Werkes wins out on the weight and has the lowest price. I've used Spin Werkes before and their customer service is good and the wheels have been durable. I think if you're running something in the 11-13 lbs range you're in the right ballpark.

Shopping wheels takes a lot of time. I first tried to learn about the Volk wheels via that Ray's joint and got nowhere. Finally got ahold of Vivid via a website recommendation and they were very helpful, but they admitted on the phone that their delivery times are sort of rough estimates. And Spin Werkes - good luck finding their website and contact information. Peggy there is extremely helpful but finding them took a lot of time. Use the contact number I posted below if you want some of their wheels. They do any offset in 1/4" increments and any bolt pattern, all wheels are made on site in CA.

get steel wheels paint them themed to the car.. paint letters on hoosiers white (old paint scheme when hoosier was in Nascar), or Yellow like current Goodyears..

call it a day.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]