Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

Question Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

The ITS Mustang is extremely weight challenged. I'm going to do my best to knock weight off if it wherever I can, thus some lightweight wheels are needed. And yes, I read the GRM/Sportscar article where light weight wheels weren't any better on the track or dyno than wheels that weighed 5 lbs more. But I'm still gonna do it.

So what's hot in lightweight wheel world? I checked over at Enkei:

http://www.enkei.com/racing.html

But 15" wheels on a 4.5" x 5 pattern (that's 114.3mm to you ricer boy) are not that common there. And any wheel for a Mustang that has the word "race" anywhere near the description inevitably is for drag racing.

Scroll down to the Volk TE37. This is in your bolt pattern. You will not like the price. 9 lbs.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/i...e=&filter_type=
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Also note that (rules paraphrased) "wheels are free" and "wheel spacers are permitted", with no further design restrictions placed on the latter. Ergo, I'm of the opinion that wheel spacers that incorporate bolt pattern changes to a more-common format are also allowed.

This position has been discussed on this forum before and not all involved agree with it. However, "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"*

And - JC! - if the philosophy of Improved Touring allows spherical bearings where "bushing material" is free, I simply can't see how anyone has an issue with that. Seriously...

GA

* The "Roffe Corollary"

Same belief here, and I run them and make no bones about why I do and that I think they are 100% legal.

Ron believes they put undue stress on the bearing and spindle; I tend to think if you keep the wheel centerline in essentially the same place via an offset any additional stress on the assembly should be minimal.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Also note that (rules paraphrased) "wheels are free" and "wheel spacers are permitted", with no further design restrictions placed on the latter. Ergo, I'm of the opinion that wheel spacers that incorporate bolt pattern changes to a more-common format are also allowed.

This position has been discussed on this forum before and not all involved agree with it. However, "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"*

And - JC! - if the philosophy of Improved Touring allows spherical bearings where "bushing material" is free, I simply can't see how anyone has an issue with that. Seriously...

GA

* The "Roffe Corollary"
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I like the TE37 look but don't want bronze and that price is high. Probably too high for me. Spinwerks at 11 lbs but less than half the price is an option. Not all that keen on its look though.

I think it'll be possible to find some 5 on 4.5" that are "light enough" and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Thoughts?
    Running spacers places no undue stress compared to running comparable offset wheels. It's all about the leverage...

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pr...Pro-race12.htm - many of the Miata guys run them and so does my RX-7 which has the same bolt pattern as you. They make a 15x7 5x114.3 and available in +15 to +40. They don't advertise +15 but they made them for me, I paid around $150 per wheel. Made in England and you have to order through a dealer, patience pays off as I waited 2 months. About 13lbs or so. Best value for this bolt pattern. Find a dealer you like or call their US phone and inquire http://www.yellowpages.com/ontario-c...amics-13438212
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I think those stock car wheels would look kick-ass on the Mustang!

K

Have you looked at Real wheels? Flat adaptors, with a wide five wheel. Ultra light and very cheap! realwheel.net
    I found an aluminum 15x14 wide five wheel that weighed 10.75 lbs!
    Last edited by DoubleXL240Z; 06-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Compomotive also offers custom configured wheels that are reasonably light weight, for less than typical multi-piece custom race wheels.

Not quite sure how the looks component has an impact on your lap times...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

We can't have them 'ole domestic jalopies' ruining the look of the class... I'm sure that's Ron's concern :026:

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Are Kosei K1 still available? As mentioned previously your bolt pattern is the same as the RX-7 - actually stock Mustang wheels are a porky economy choice for RX-7s.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

K1s arent' really that light though are they?

Weight on this car is crtical. 3-4 lbs a wheel would be worth the money to save it, especially unsprung.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Ron believes they put undue stress on the bearing and spindle; I tend to think if you keep the wheel centerline in essentially the same place via an offset any additional stress on the assembly should be minimal.

Thoughts?
    Ron is under the impression the wheel centerline wasn't in the original location, that the 1" thick spacers a) adapted to a new bolt pattern and b) increased the track width. If (b) isn't the case then the small amount of mass added won't amount to any stress problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mbuskuhl View Post
    Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pr...Pro-race12.htm - many of the Miata guys run them and so does my RX-7 which has the same bolt pattern as you. About 13lbs or so. Best value for this bolt pattern. Find a dealer you like or call their US phone and inquire
    13 lbs is heavier than the Spinwerks pieces at 11 lbs. In fact, the old cheap Koneig wheels I ran on my Z were 13 lbs each and were $450 for four. Heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I think those stock car wheels would look kick-ass on the Mustang!
    I'm tending to agree. At first I immediately didn't like them but I could see using them and it turning out well.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    Have you looked at Real wheels? Flat adaptors, with a wide five wheel. Ultra light and very cheap! realwheel.net
    Those sound pretty good. I'll give those folks a call and see what they have to offer. Never heard of them but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Compomotive also offers custom configured wheels that are reasonably light weight, for less than typical multi-piece custom race wheels.

Not quite sure how the looks component has an impact on your lap times...
    Man, your car has to look good. Otherwise as Marcus says the domestic iron will be spoiling the look of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Are Kosei K1 still available? As mentioned previously your bolt pattern is the same as the RX-7 - actually stock Mustang wheels are a porky economy choice for RX-7s.
    Still available.

K1s arent' really that light though are they?

Weight on this car is crtical. 3-4 lbs a wheel would be worth the money to save it, especially unsprung.
    According to this chart you're correct, not that light:

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

K1s coming in at 13.5 lbs. While light wheels upfront are a good thing I don't think it'll make any difference at all to the rear with that solid axle. Four more pounds back there, with all the other hardware being added to make it handle well, won't be felt.

The stock Mustang V6 wheels are good candidates for rain wheels so I'll keep those around. But I'll need to invest some coin into eight to twelve race wheels for dry tires. Wheel could easily be the single most expensive component of this ITS Rustang.

I haven't noticed it before but 15" wheel choices are definitely not all that abundant. 17" wheels are far more common.

I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. This weekend at NJMP I noticed some scratches. On further looking they were cracks in the spokes. Dismounted all wheels and all had stress cracks with some cracked all the way through the spoke.

I'm contacting Kodiak today. These guys also are the new owners of Fikse wheels. Hope they stand behind their product. These wheels have maybe 20 weekends on them tops. $600 per wheel!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I run a pretty significant offset (I think it was 37 mm) -- a big change from stock -- with the spacers.

My guess is there is no noticeable difference in track, or if there is it is minimal.

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. $600 per wheel!
    That is serious coin. I hope you can get some relief from them on the wheels but I suspect not. Most of these outfits indicate racing use is completely uncovered for repairs.

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.
    I'm going to suck it up and get light forged wheels. What are Prorace 2s? All your wheels look the same to me, just different shades of color.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    I called RealWheels this morning and the guy there quoted me $364 per wheel, 15x7, and each wheel was to weigh 13.84 lbs. I must be doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I called RealWheels this morning and the guy there quoted me $364 per wheel, 15x7, and each wheel was to weigh 13.84 lbs. I must be doing something wrong.
    he must have meant a 15x4 rim, not 15x14... or it was back wen the dinos roamed the earth and a gallon of gas was $.05
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I don't believe they make Kosei anymore in a 15x7 5 lug pattern. They still make them four lug for all the Miata drivers.

I went with Team Dynamics as well. I didn't wait, so got them in a +35 offset. Got them from Good-Win Motorsports.