Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ITE rule set?

Default ITE rule set?

Hello,
    My car is a well prepared '00 Mustang. It was last raced in '06 under the ITE classification.

Is there an ITE rule set anywhere? Or does anything still go in ITE? Ive read the GCR through but ITE isnt mentioned anywhere that Ive seen.

I appreciate the help/info.

Thanks,
    Anthony

#26 ITE

That depends on where you are, what region do you race with? ITE rules are not set by the national club, each region can create their own if they wish to have such a class. Check your region's website (or let us know where you are, someone here will know the answer no matter where you are).
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

MiDiv

Im trying to get the car together to make the double school at MAM in mid april.

I just want to show up with a legal car since Ill have to have the cars annual tech inspection done at the track.

Google is your friend. Answer found here in Appendix B:

Mid-Am Rules for Improved Touring - Endurance (ITE)

Concept: To permit cars prepared for professional or semi-pro showroom stock-based series, or cars not eligible for any current SCCA Improved Touring class, to compete at Midwest Division events in their own class.

A. Cars eligible for the ITE class are cars which have been prepared for any past or current professional or semi-pro showroom stock-based racing series or cars not eligible for any current SCCA Improved Touring class which are prepared to the current Improved Touring rules.

B. Cars must meet minimum safety requirements as defined in the GCR and ITCS for Improved Touring cars. This includes all items in GCR Section 9 which are applicable to IT cars, ITCS Section 9.a, and all items in ITCS Section 10.

C. Cars must run tires and fuel as defined in the ITCS.

D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

[QUOTE=JoshS;319818]D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed. QUOTE]

I've never seen this rule being enforced, at least here in the Northeast. I would be surprised if any region actually did. Typically to run in ITE a car has to meet all of the IT safety rules and run on DOT tires. Beyond that it is pretty much open.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Do not worry about a classification for school. If it is a safe car, it will be legal for the school.

A lot of schools now simply divide groups by open wheel/ closed wheel.

I haven't looked at the details of the two classes, but at a minimum couldn't he run SPO or STO?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I haven't looked at the details of the two classes, but at a minimum couldn't he run SPO or STO?
    He can, but the safety requirments are going to be different. When you get your logbook, you present to the tech inspection team the car with a class. That class determines cage, fuel cell, etc minimums (and maximums in some cases).

Legality for anything other than safety isn't of concern for tech inspection.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

*anything* still goes into ITE. i think it stands for "Improved Touring Everything."

if the car was in ITE before, and has a logbook, you should be ok as long as you have the updated door bars.

i might be there instructing, and if i'm not i know the chief instructor for the weekend pretty darn well....so if you need anymore help, just ask. glad to have you out.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

The car has an outward bent x shape driver side door bars. They are welded together where they meet in the middle. The x also protrudes out into the door cavity. Door skin is removed on driver side only. Pass. side has two door bars that start up near the harness bar and run down at different angles towards the front down tube. Tubing is 1.75x.095 DOM.

I'll get some pics up to better show what I have and then Ill ask the question of "Is this still legal?"

Thank you for all the replies. Great to see an active board with knowledgeable IT racers.

From your description, it *sounds* legal to me. the right side they're not really concerned with other than it has two door bars.
    the left side sounds okay since it's protruding into the door cavity and has two bars. you're theoretically protected in a crash, and that's what matters. of course, pics would be good though.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

i agree, sounds like you're in the clear.

if you don't want to go to the hassle of pictures, just tell us when the last annual inspection the car had was (it's in the logbook), and we should be able to figure it out. i think if you have a stamp from 2008 or later you're good to go.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by ITEGT View Post
    It was last raced in '06 under the ITE classification.
    Im working on getting the logbook from the previous owner.

Yep, the description sounds just fine. Photos will tell more, of course, but there's nothing I've heard that is any kind of alert.

An alternative to doing the inspection at the track would be to find a local inspector to give the car an annual tech before heading to the track "just to be sure". Drop me an email at jigou at raquet dot net or PM me here with your location and we'll see if we can find someone local for you.

And I know Kelley the chief registrar for the MAM weekend (PS: she's awesome!) would tell you to register ASAP so she can help you make sure you've got all of your ducks in a row. You don't need to pay until you show up at the track.

Let me know if there's anything else you need or any other questions you might have!

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Im in Kansas region #110 aka Salina Region. I spoke to Rocky Entriken and he didnt know of anyone local anymore that did tech inspections.

I will get registered asap. Care to post a link or email address to the registration site/person?

I have lots to do between now and then but Im trying like hell to get this car and myself ready to be at MAM for the school.

Dang. Rocky would know if there's anyone around Salina. Carry on with the questions... :-)

I'm guessing Rocky also got you pointed in the right direction for a novice permit and physical form. If not, let me or Kelley know and we'll help you get going. Aside from the car, those are the two biggies....and the novice permit is partially out of your control, so getting that going sooner than later is key.

Online registration link: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubr...4630&LMID=3171

PDF of the supps / printable entry form: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/downl...lx?FileID=1337
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Quote Originally Posted by JIgou View Post
    Dang. Rocky would know if there's anyone around Salina. Carry on with the questions... :-)

I'm guessing Rocky also got you pointed in the right direction for a novice permit and physical form. If not, let me or Kelley know and we'll help you get going. Aside from the car, those are the two biggies....and the novice permit is partially out of your control, so getting that going sooner than later is key.

Online registration link: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubr...4630&LMID=3171

PDF of the supps / printable entry form: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/downl...lx?FileID=1337

I mailed out my completed signed off physical, 2-2"x2" mug shots, copy of both sides of my DL and a check for $110 last friday. I was told that it took some time to get the novice permit paperwork completed, so I hope I got my ducks rowed in time.

Thank you for the links!!

Quote Originally Posted by ITEGT View Post
    I mailed out my completed signed off physical, 2-2"x2" mug shots, copy of both sides of my DL and a check for $110 last friday. I was told that it took some time to get the novice permit paperwork completed, so I hope I got my ducks rowed in time.

Thank you for the links!!
    Sounds like the appropriate ducks are rowed at this point, and the timing SHOULD be just fine. Look forward to meeting you in just over two weeks!
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

when I got my novice permit last summer, I sent it off about 2 weeks before the event and got eveyrthing the day before I left for the school. whew!
    The good news is once things are processed, you can download and print your novice permit from the website and then get your novice booklet at the school. that's at least how it was done with mine.

Got eveyrthing signed off in Jan and got my nat license so I could race the first double nat in Feb.

g'luck! and remember.. it's a SCHOOL, not a race. you're learning to play in traffic, not run away from them.

That was my biggest problem- we had 2 'fast' cars (my 240SX and a T2 350Z), 12 Miatas, and 3 or 4 slower cars at my school. I could pass anyone but the 350 on the straights and pretty much drove away from traffic at will. but that wasn't the point in the school. so I sandbagged on the straights and played with the Miatas in the corners.
    ...... and right when they thought they got the best of me, I'd put my foot a little farther down and outrun them to the next corner.

If you're taking an ITE Mustang to a school, you'll probably be in a similar boat. remember why you're there and that the goal IS to play in traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed.
    I've never seen this rule being enforced, at least here in the Northeast. I would be surprised if any region actually did. Typically to run in ITE a car has to meet all of the IT safety rules and run on DOT tires. Beyond that it is pretty much open.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    *anything* still goes into ITE. i think it stands for "Improved Touring Everything."

if the car was in ITE before, and has a logbook, you should be ok as long as you have the updated door bars.

Of course this was as a result of a weenie protest, but oh well...

i might be there instructing, and if i'm not i know the chief instructor for the weekend pretty darn well....so if you need anymore help, just ask. glad to have you out.
    Not always... I know of one D.C. region 12 hour competitor that was given his walking papers and couldn't race because he didn't have an ITE compliant car. He couldn't "produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits"
    Enjoy,
    Bill