Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So easy, even a caveman can do it!

Yeah, same here. Wife's a teacher and ohhh the stories she tells about parents.
    "what did you do to my child to make him act like that in your class?"
    "I said 'good morning, mark.'"
    "I'm going to have your job for that!"
    whatever....

This group isn't that bad- I think dad just needs to put down the radio and let her race. the girl's only 16 or 17 and has improved dramatically with some seat time. I had 10 years of DEs before I went racing. She had 10 weeks.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Just an opinion from the other side...
    I went to scca school having NEVER been in a race car!
    Thought you had to just 'get in and go fast'!!
    Silly Me!
    I was told that doing a double school there was a chance I could be racing that weekend!
    Thank God my instructors were smarter than that!!!
    Obviously I was not ready that weekend... and A very wise "Jake" told me to do track days, etc, until the next school and get some seat time!
    I think I'm a much safer racer having the extra track time in between schools. I realize that most people going to the first scca school have more experience than I did but I think the instructors have to be able to tell someone they need more instruction and seat time!!
    Denise VanBuren

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Yeah, same here. Wife's a teacher and ohhh the stories she tells about parents.
    "what did you do to my child to make him act like that in your class?"
    "I said 'good morning, mark.'"
    "I'm going to have your job for that!"
    whatever....

This group isn't that bad- I think dad just needs to put down the radio and let her race. the girl's only 16 or 17 and has improved dramatically with some seat time. I had 10 years of DEs before I went racing. She had 10 weeks.
    Must be nice being 16 and having Daddy pay for your racing. It's not like it's a needed step in her future life or anything.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm one of the 0 experience drivers who did 2 single schools 13 years ago. I wasn't fast, but had a clue what was going on around me and wasn't a danger to anyone. Instructor was 'open' to signing me off after a single school, but it was the Oct. school at Summit and I was already planning to do the April school @ Nelson the following spring. I felt I needed the other school and was glad I did it. With my home track being Mid-Ohio, back then regional SS class always had 12-15 cars per race in class with 35-50 cars in the run group.

As far as on-track incidents - There are always 2 sides (or more) to each story. I saw some of the contact last year and there is 'racing incident' contact. It can happen when you're running door to door for 13-20 laps. I've seen bonehead moves, head-in-ass driving and people who need to find a new hobby. BUT until someone approaches these folks and makes an effort, they may have no clue anything is wrong.

I had an issue several years ago with someone trying to be 'nice' and get out of the way of me and someone I was racing. The person tried to be nice and move but we were both committed to the lines we were taking to pass. Well - The event ended with no contact and both of us able to gather it together and keep racing. (Not sure how contact didn't happen!) Had a talk with the 'nice' driver about how to handle that situation in the future and an explanation about what could have happened with that move. The driver was very open to the conversation and learned how to handle the situation in the future. And since I had that talk - no issue ever again with that driver.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I'm not sure that I care (although it should be a novice permit IMO). We have certain standards, abilities, and decision making that a person needs to meet. If a person has 600 HPDEs, went to 3 pro racing schools, and at the comp school doesn't meet the set criteria - sorry, no go. If this is the first time out on track and they do meet that criteria, pass, here's your license. Seems like the challenge for some regions is not adhering to what a person should be capable of out on track, not that it happens on one weekend versus two.

Regions are also in a tough spot that we need more people being involved and the economy is playing a factor in all of this. It's a balancing act from their perspective. I do agree that I don't want to go wheel-to-wheel with people who are not ready and understand the potential consequences.
    It was the Chief Steward who was talking about signing off all the drivers after a double dip. Then there was a student who punted another student during the practice race. The corner workers were sure that he wouldn't get his book signed off, but he did.

I understand about the tough spot the regions are in. Heck, I'm part of the problem when my car's down for a year while I collect the parts for a head gasket job. I'm trying to pay down my debts, and limit my expenditures. Increased fuel prices don't help me either.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Must be nice being 16 and having Daddy pay for your racing. It's not like it's a needed step in her future life or anything.
    The story I heard is that she's driving dad's old car. he was a front-runner for years and then Mom made Dad quit racing to spend time with the kid(s). now they're old enough to race, so Dad's getting to play at the track again.

BTW.. they show up with an RV, 30ft trailer, and a crew of about 5 for every race.

this is grassroots ITA/SM racing here!!

But they're nice peeps and she's getting better, so it's all good.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I think what it boils down to is maturity. Some have it at 16 others never get there. Intructors and Stewards do no one a favor by signing off unprepared or immature students. The one thing that all the instructors stressed a my double school was, "if I wouldn't be comfortable on grid next to you, you ain't gonna pass" Emphasis was on dealing with traffic, passing and being overtaken. Some effort was made to get us to go fast(don't be dawdling around and think that's good enough, show you can "race") but it was secondary to getting down the first 3 aspects. The first two days in the wet made things interesting as well.

As far as being 16 years old and having someone buy you a seat in a race car...my skivvies meet that criteria
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata
    Matthew 19:26

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    As far as being 16 years old and having someone buy you a seat in a race car...my skivvies meet that criteria
    That, sir, is a most excellent line. hahahaha!!
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Nelson Ledges. But please don't blame the track. As drivers, crew and workers, we take ultimate responsibility for our own individual safety. You must survey a situation and refuse to participate if the risk is deemed excessive.
    Thanks for the endorsement of Nelson Ledges! We'll discuss other issues you have the next time I see you...
    Bryan
    #16 IT7 Mazda...
    Bryan KF8G
    Nelson Ledges Road Course
    #16 IT7 Mazda
    "There you go man. Keep as cool as you can. Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe, you perceive, the web they weave. And keep on thinking freely"
    Graeme Edge The Moody Blues

Seriously. Chris, you wasn't even there and you make such statements.! Did you even bother to ask others ( more than one) about what happened? Most on this forum know I can drive and I have ended up in pit lane / grid because of a spin. So then your telling me I shouldn't be allowed to race? We all know it can happen and it is watched for, that is why no one is allowed to pit there. Making such statements without first hand knowledge is damaging to your own region, divison, track as well as SCCA on a whole. You must have facts, not hear say, before making statements like that. If it is desirved after you heard the facts, then speak your mind. Not being there and not having all the facts and making a statement is by far just plain wrong!! As a trustee of Neohio I have heared what happened at the event from everyone that was involved and I would have no problem racing with any of the attendies. I would be willing to discuss this issue with you at lenght. In these times you must be very careful to have the facts before you speak. Once something is said right or wrong it is very quickly put out for all to see. In effect one statement could affect the ability of a region to get a good car count thus not breaking even on an event then not being able to hold an event again or at a price no one would pay, the track then suffers and may not survive. then you would have no place to race. I am sure that this was not your intent but could be the result of your statement. Get involved, come to the meetings... you can drive and be part of the plannin....Get INVOVLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:026:

Ok I am done now

Roland

Bartzi: Chill.

Roland: I'm not going to re-air what I've already said. Some of this is perhaps, at least, a case of he said/she said, different perpectives/perceptions on an issue, gray area stuff. And maybe I was misinformed about a thing or two about an incident. But for crying out loud, don't blame me for the totality of Nelson's problems, or the region's for that matter. Both have had issues for years and I'm not going to be the scapegoat for them.

I've been nothing but a supporter of the track for years. Ask Kerrie. All the fundays/test days/races I've run over the past 10years. And will continue to be supportive. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to keep quiet if I have an issue with a sanctioning body that is using the track. And in this case, that body is the region with respect to its conduct of driver schools.

The biggest problem with SCCA is that the powers that be squelch anyone or anything that tries to suggest a needed change in the culture. I took a stand because I was very fed up with what I've seen with the quality of drivers in our section of the GL/NE Division. My rant, really, is ultimately about more than just driver schools. (Did you read that right?) I've noticed that I'm not the only one with my concerns, and that should be a notice for the area's SCCA regions to shape up the schooling and race stewardship of drivers at all the area tracks or risk losing other drivers to NASA or EMRA or PCA or some other competitive motorsports venue.

After all, doesn't money talk?
    Last edited by RedMisted; 06-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Some of this is perhaps, at least, a case of he said/she said, different perpectives/perceptions on an issue, gray area stuff. And maybe I was misinformed about a thing or two about an incident.

But that doesn't mean that I'm going to keep quiet if I have an issue with a sanctioning body that is using the track. And in this case, that body is the region with respect to its conduct of driver schools.

risk losing other drivers to NASA or EMRA or PCA or some other competitive motorsports venue.

After all, doesn't money talk?

Like I said misinformed

Wrong again, this wasn't the region putting it on it was the divison.

Help yourself to one of the 3, you'll be back.

NO, in SCCA money doesn't talk when it comes to rules and saftey.