Thread: Transponder upgrade program??

Default Transponder upgrade program??

Was or is there an upgrade transponder program through mylaps/AMB? I remember reading something regarding this on the SCCA CenDiv site, but it is no longer there. I contacted mylaps and have gotten no where.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    Was or is there an upgrade transponder program through mylaps/AMB? I remember reading something regarding this on the SCCA CenDiv site, but it is no longer there. I contacted mylaps and have gotten no where.

Thanks
    Same reponse from AMB NONE
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

In Oct. 2009 my rechargeable died and AMB sold me a hard wired one for 50% off.

Here's an upgrade email they sent out in June 2010 http://em.mylaps.com/ema/display.php...ea2e&L=17&N=15
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I had very little luck with AMB's customer service as well. bought a used transponder and it took 3 months to get the thing registered in my name.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I had a transponder die - the light was on and a handheld reader said it was working, but it wouldn't hit the track sensors at two different tracks. AMB said this wasn't supposed to happen. I sent it to AMB for evaluation and after numerous calls on the status, all I could get was "It's being looked at by the folks in the Netherlands." Almost three years later and I'm still waiting.

I bought a new unit last year. Shortly after, I found out about the 50% off program for old transponders. So I called them up and asked if I could get the discount for my purchase, since I had already "turned in" a defective unit. They said they would be happy to sell me a another new unit at half off. When I pointed out that I had already sent them a trade-in, they said they weren't supposed to give the discount after the fact, but they'd look into it and get back to me. Needless to say, I'm still waiting for a response.

This is the sort of service you'd expect when the people you are dealing with have an effective monopoly on the product they are selling.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

To add insult to injury they have almost doubled their prices over the past few years. They act like a monopoly because we let them. There are plenty of alternatives nowadays.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

But are there alternative transponders that work with the AMB timing loops and decoder boxes that are already installed in most (all) our tracks around the nation?
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I also have one of the very early hard-wired transponders die on me. I found the discount exchange program still listed on the AMB site but I was a couple months out of the time window. They still did give me the 50% off, but I think I had to ship mine back before they shipped the new one. Due to the problem and fact I did have a trasnponder I was provided a loaner by the region for the one race while this was taken care of. I was happy with their service. I still can access all
    the history for both units on their website and there was no hassle like trying to transfer ownership of a used one.

I am suprised no one has marketed a generic replacement yet (that I have seen).
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit