Thread: Learn me some limited slip...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Learn me some limited slip...

As a disclaimer, this is mostly bench race learning as I don't have the money to put one in my car right now anyway, surprising how much having a baby costs..., but just in case my money tree takes root I'd like to be able to make an educated decision.

So just how much time am I leaving on the track running an open diff? Is it negligible due to having so few ponies to work with (70hp if I'm lucky).

I don't really know much about them so I've been reading online and such and there seem to be very divided opinions on which to use. So what say you...clutch or geared and why? And why would anyone run a welded diff, seems like it would make turning a real chore.

How much does it change the handling characteristics and/or necessitate changes to one's driving style when going from an open diff to a limited slip?

Thanks for your input!
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

that answer will depend a bit on the tracks that you run but... at that power level I'd think it would not by you much. That said, how much do you spin your tires? That is a good indicator...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

As Chris said it depends on the track. Fast sweepers? Not so important. Tight turns, you're leaving time on the table.

I would weld it........ like right NOW before the next race. LOL You WILL feel a difference. It does take a different driving style but it's not that different. You just need to stay on the power. If you don't, it will push like a mother.

Of course, welded does suck when trying to drive around the paddock
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

What Jeff said. I let the siren call of clutches, gears, and other doo-dads distract me when i came back to the game a few years ago. Cameron Conover built me a gearbox with a spool (over the counter welded diff, essentially - very old school muscle car) last year and i LOVE IT.

K

Ryan--Think turn 13 at Nelson for wheel slippage.

Talk to Carl and Jim in the Renaults about welded diffs--they work well but they are an acquired taste.

I prefer the Quaife over the clutch type, but that is more about reliability--Quaife' don't wear out.

Lots of choices, but the bottom line is you should have something--even a Phantom Grip is better than nothing.

An open is only good for braking on a wet track (and obviously, the welded can be diabolical in such a situatuion).

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Ryan--Think turn 13 at Nelson for wheel slippage.

Talk to Carl and Jim in the Renaults about welded diffs--they work well but they are an acquired taste.

I prefer the Quaife over the clutch type, but that is more about reliability--Quaife' don't wear out.

Lots of choices, but the bottom line is you should have something--even a Phantom Grip is better than nothing.

An open is only good for braking on a wet track (and obviously, the welded can be diabolical in such a situatuion).
    Quaife also doesn't actually work if one tire is in the air or on grass. And the spool rocked the rain at Summit two weeks ago. The only diabolical aspect of that is if you are at speed and hit a puddle with one wheel, at which point the car will move laterally. Just let it go and it will keep going straight once it gets the physics figured out.

But to be clear - you CANNOT pussy-foot a welded diff in a FWD car. Like Jeff said, you have to stay on the throttle and not let it boss you around.

K