Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Cool stuff with your cross bar, but we've got to use the stock steering column and supports. The tow straps I have are not 24" long like we thought, but very much like yours. A bit shorter although we've got an adjustment piece in there. Your car is looking good!!

We got a bit more done over the last few days. Fixed stang2's radiator support issue from some bozo hooking a tow rope up to it and about pulling the front end off. A bit of welding and metal fixed that right. The motor is finished up and shipping this week. Things are moving along.

Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-11-2011 at 07:34 AM.

The stripper twins are off to get some serious exhaust work. Burns Stainless collectors, Burns speced exhaust, and some lightweight components.

I like the way you guys take care of business! Looking good!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    I like the way you guys take care of business! Looking good!
    +1
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'm really enjoying this build. Out of curiosity. What wheels are you going to use? I'll bet the factory ones are close to 20lbs each.

Steve

We work a lot. Lots. Took apart a transmission last night and will be building one up tonight, as well as starting fab work on our traction bars.

The factory V6 Pony wheels weigh 15.1 lbs each. 15x7s, suitable for rains for sure.

We are going to use the Spinwerks wheels, 11.2 lbs each at $210 each. They are the only wheel we located in the 15"x7" five on 4.5" pattern that came in at that low of a weight. We did find lighter 15"x7" wheels, some in the high 9 lb range, but they required those blasted adapters since they aren't a native five on 4.5" pattern, thus driving the weight up and over the Spinwerks weight.

Wow, 11.2lbs each? And that's not a terrible price.

Looking forward to seeing these cars in 2012 - but only in a good way!
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

It is SO going to confuse the crap outta people when these things are pretty good, too!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    It is SO going to confuse the crap outta people when these things are pretty good, too!

K
    True that.

The project thus far has been a pleasure. The most perplexing thing to me is people who state "that car can't race in IT, it won't handle." or "that car won't have enough brake". There is much self-professed armchair lore about Mustangs in road racing that isn't worth a damn, but there is real knowledge out there about racing the cars if you pick up the phone or draft up some emails.

Yes, you can make a Fox/SN95 Mustang handle in IT-trim. There are entire businesses built around Mustang suspensions and parts are plenty. Yes, you can make power, competitive IT-power from a domestic engine as there are many builders who know their stuff. Jeff Young's car is the closest actively racing analog that I know of and I don't think anyone can argue with the results. The TR8 kicks ass. The Mustang might not be that good but it'll be fun and racable.

I'd say most people are extremely supportive but some of the long-time SCCA folks offer up some quizzical expressions when I tell them my new car isn't a Mazda, Honda, or Nissan.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-16-2011 at 02:06 PM.

A car is a car is a car. Most can be made to race, and race well (well, not a Jensen-Healey).

These cars were planned out incredibly well. I have no doubt they will be competitive out of the box with really only suspension tuning keeping them from the front of the field and that will come. Quickly too since Jeff G. knows his stuff.

ITS next year is shaping up to be STRONG in the SEDiv. I know of an MX-5 (the 170 hp one) being built, plus Steve E.'s new RX7, Harold Corbin's new RX7, and these cars. You add that to me, Zsolt, Chuck Hines, Steve Parrish, Kent Thompson, Ron Munnerlyn's improved Miata, and others and you are going to have 15-20 car fields with 10 cars that can win.

Should be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    True that.

The project thus far has been a pleasure. The most perplexing thing to me is people who state "that car can't race in IT, it won't handle." or "that car won't have enough brake". There is much self-professed armchair lore about Mustangs in road racing that isn't worth a damn, but there is real knowledge out there about racing the cars if you pick up the phone or draft up some emails.

Yes, you can make a Fox/SN95 Mustang handle in IT-trim. There are entire businesses built around Mustang suspensions and parts are plenty. Yes, you can make power, competitive IT-power from a domestic engine as there are many builders who know their stuff. Jeff Young's car is the closest actively racing analog that I know of and I don't think anyone can argue with the results. The TR8 kicks ass. The Mustang might not be that good but it'll be fun and racable.

I'd say most people are extremely supportive but some of the long-time SCCA folks offer up some quizzical expressions when I tell them my new car isn't a Mazda, Honda, or Nissan.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    A car is a car is a car. Most can be made to race, and race well (well, not a Jensen-Healey).

These cars were planned out incredibly well. I have no doubt they will be competitive out of the box with really only suspension tuning keeping them from the front of the field and that will come. Quickly too since Jeff G. knows his stuff.

ITS next year is shaping up to be STRONG in the SEDiv. I know of an MX-5 (the 170 hp one) being built, plus Steve E.'s new RX7, Harold Corbin's new RX7, and these cars. You add that to me, Zsolt, Chuck Hines, Steve Parrish, Kent Thompson, Ron Munnerlyn's improved Miata, and others and you are going to have 15-20 car fields with 10 cars that can win.

Should be a blast.
    Plus my soon to be freshened ex travers tapper rx7.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

2012 is looking like a lot of fun. I know we've lost a few ITS racers in the SE but we've picked up a couple of news ones too. I'm excited and looking forward to being out in a new, somewhat modern race car.

Long day on Saturday in the garage that started around 8am. both Jeffs came over and despite around nine hours or so working out there about all we got done was the first T5 rebuilt and a bit of cosmetic dash work along with garage cleanup. I'm sure T5 rebuild #2 will proceed at a much faster rate.

I pickup the engine tomorrow and the rear end on Tuesday. I hope the exhaust gets finished up by Friday so that I can start the re-assembly work.

Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-18-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Got the motor home and uncrated, I like! good attention to detail and complete information down to part numbers for bolts, gaskets, etc. as well as all the important clearances and operational info. Obviously there is much work to be done on the motor with the front dress and all, but at least we've got a motor in house. Engine #2 for the second stang has been received and torn down already so I expect we'll have that one back in half the time of this one. Damn good chance we'll get both cars out for VIR in March. Might not be sorted, but I think the chances are high we'll at least run them.

I will be coming out to VIR to see these beasts - I need to sort out my car so this will be a great opportunity to meet you folks and congratulate you on a great build and hopefully some congrats on admirable race results!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I will be coming out to VIR to see these beasts - I need to sort out my car so this will be a great opportunity to meet you folks and congratulate you on a great build and hopefully some congrats on admirable race results!
    Bring it. I love 968s, always have. Just as long as you aren't afraid of some domestics ruining the look of your run group.

Got some more parts in today, the Burns collectors displayed with the Christmas cookies. Now, I like what Burns does, no doubt, but their collectors are overpriced. Our local shop did a 90% accurate job of replicating the Burns collectors for that Z at about 1/6th the cost. Now that he has an actual set of Burns collectors I am certain he'll be able to duplicate them for a fraction of the cost.

We're going to run an experiment - one stang will get 100% Burns speced exhaust and Burns collectors, stang two is getting off the shelf long tube headers with knock off Burns collectors. Otherwise the two motors will be identical and we'll see where the chips fall.

Stang $2's wiring harness got pared down tonight so some actual work did occur.

Looking forward to running with the Blue Ovals - whoever got to hating the domstics missed the fun of powering out of the corners with a little torque. Heck, my favorite car is still my ASA/GTA stocker - 450hp and 2550 dry - uber fun but nobody to race in that class. IT is where it rocks in the NE...

Save me a cookie...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

No cupcakes?
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

No cupcakes.

Yeah, I hear you on larger engined cars. The thing is, the SCCA seems to be largely dominated by folks who grew up on imports and hating on domestics, or so it seems. I like both kinds of cars, Mustangs AND Camaros.

Stang two is now getting the homebrew Earp-ghetto exhaust. For a couple of benjamins we can put our TIG/MIG skills to work and make an exhaust. We're going to do that and compare the results with the superdooper Burns custom special. Turns out off the shelf long tubes (certain ones) are the same length as the fourth order harmonic for this engine, which isn't bad. The third order harmonic is typically used for best tq/hp but the fourth is good, so one my achieve decent results with $159 headers and some attention to detail on the collectors and post-header exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Turns out off the shelf long tubes (certain ones) are the same length as the fourth order harmonic for this engine, which isn't bad. The third order harmonic is typically used for best tq/hp but the fourth is good, so one my achieve decent results with $159 headers and some attention to detail on the collectors and post-header exhaust.
    Over my head on that one can you explain 3 and 4 harmonics to me?