Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

The Dynojet spit out 125 horsepower and 189 ft/lbs of torque. The A/F was not so good at WOT and I bet with a bit of tweaking that it'd end up at 130hp and 192 tq, so that is what I'm calling it. Torque good, horsepower is a bit weak but the curves are broad so I think it has potential. Have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    The Dynojet spit out 125 horsepower and 189 ft/lbs of torque. The A/F was not so good at WOT and I bet with a bit of tweaking that it'd end up at 130hp and 192 tq, so that is what I'm calling it. Torque good, horsepower is a bit weak but the curves are broad so I think it has potential. Have to think about it.
    I think your hp is just about right if you factor 15% driveline losses. That torque number looks pretty impressive, IMO.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Wowsers that's a stump puller!!!!

BUILD it!!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Yes I think I will build it. It appears to be making an honest 140 crank hp and I'd expect a 72k mile car in good shape to come close to stated factory power. Interesting that it is "only" 17hp down to the ITR Mustang, but it is different Dynojets in different states.

Next step is acquiring a spare motor to be used at the IT base engine and start building. Engine build costs for this engine are insanely inexpensive. Parts are easy to come by. There will be "big money" spent on the exhaust but the other costs - pistons, valves, machine work - very affordable because it is a domestic engine and down here in NC there are many shops that thrive on this sort of work.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    The engine was the original, and I remember when I bought the car that its acceleration was anemic compared to previous rentals that I'd driven. The tuners were able to get it up to a respectable 158whp. Now with all the peripheral mods and the like, the replacement engine gets about 195whp.
    Tq on the original stock was 177. On the replacement, tq is 211. I think with a good IT build, another 15whp is not out of question. As for tq, the gain may not be as much...
    Last edited by RedMisted; 05-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

As advertised dyno plots for the engine. This is a bone stock example, still breathing through the stock air cleaner and out through the stock cat and single pipe exhaust. 72k original mile motor as well, with stock ECU and so on.

The torque peak is very low in the engine leading to a low RPM for peak horsepower. More ideal for a truck motor, or automatic equipped car that spends most of its life below 3000 RPM. But, we've seen engines just like this respond well to IT build rules. In fact, at the dyno shop they have a 97 Mustang V6 plot with some large primary long tube headers, dual exhaust via Ford Mustang GT, and cold air intake, with nothing else, that is up about 23 hp but more importantly the hp peak hits around 4700 RPM. Torque is close to the same at 199 lb-ft at around 3500 RPM. I bet with some real attention to all the IT-preps, particularily the exhaust side of things where Fords are generally challenged, we could shift the torque curve considerably.

All in all very promising. I think the engine will respond well to a full tilt IT build. And the chassis is a quite known quantity, which is to say, it isn't fantastic but the warts have long been exposed and it can be made to work reasonably well for what it is.

Might have to build it.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Go for it! I was contemplating this car before selecting the 968. Could be a winner! Keen to watch the build. Heck, you can always drop in a V8 to race in another class if you feel like it :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I agree with your assessments, Ron. People have been telling me that my engine will probably make the 25% percent rule, or whatever it is, look conservative. Can't wait to build it.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Go for it! I was contemplating this car before selecting the 968. Could be a winner! Keen to watch the build. Heck, you can always drop in a V8 to race in another class if you feel like it :-)
    This flexibility is what creates some sense of security about the car for me. I’ve made the decision to race a Ford, the only Ford choice of interest to me is a Mustang, and this platform lends itself to a variety of venues.

SCCA AS
    SCCA ITR as a V8 (5L)
    SCCA ITR as a V8 (4.6L)
    SCCA ITR as a V6 (would require sheet metal changes)
    NASA CMC
    NASA various classes

Many options from which to choose if the ITS V6 build didn't pan out.

I'm heavily researching the suspension options now and will start collecting parts soon.

Brighton, Mi. 50 west of Detroit, 20 miles north of Ann Arbor.

Ron,

Awesome to see the build, as I have been contemplating the same thing! I have successfully campaigned a '94 in AS since 2004. Feel free to email me at: asracer89 (at) sbcglobal.net I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Kristian

Yes build it . When done this season with my ITB mustang thats the one i was thinking of doing. It does give you so many options in what class too, also the after market and factory are filled with parts to use . Please keep us informed and also post some pics with it.

I've located a Mustang breaker about 40 miles from me in Henderson NC. All the guy does is buy Mustangs and part them, cheap. He's put aside an engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, and some other parts. Cost? Looking like $450. The tranny was just rebuilt and the engine still runs, no smoke. Turns out nobody much wants the 3.8L engines and 7.5" rear ends so you can get them on the cheap.

I've located a Mustang breaker about 40 miles from me in Henderson NC. All the guy does is buy Mustangs and part them, cheap. He's put aside an engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, and some other parts. Cost? Looking like $450. The tranny was just rebuilt and the engine still runs, no smoke. Turns out nobody much wants the 3.8L engines and 7.5" rear ends so you can get them on the cheap.
    There's also a place in GA called Mustang Parts Salvage. I got some stuff from them dirt cheap. 770-867-2644.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

If you need me to go by and check anything out Ron, just let me know. Live 5 miles away. You also have no excuse not to drop by the shop if you come to town. OOPs, just saw Henderson, Not hendersonville.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Lots of folks interested in seeing one built. Chris has his ITR version and it is pretty clear that it could be a contender. I think this ITS version has a shot too.

The amount of road racing knowledge out there regarding the chassis is pretty high. If you ask around at Maximum Motorsports and Kenny Brown you can talk directly to the guys who were doing the chassis setup back when the companies campaigned stangs in semi-pro efforts. Turechoice also has a fellow who's knowledgeable about making SN95s and Foxes work.

While a full tilt build won't be inexpensive, it will be less expensive than a BMW or Porsche ITS car.

I just laid a 100 yard one wheel burnout. You other ITS competitors scared yet?

When are you going to start stripping the stripper?
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Be later this summer once the Torino is fired up and together. It doesn't have to be "done", but it must run.

I am collecting parts though. Caymen inspecting the first round of parts in for the build.

Be later this summer once the Torino is fired up and together. It doesn't have to be "done", but it must run.

I am collecting parts though. Caymen inspecting the first round of parts in for the build.
    I'm glad you decided to take the plunge. did you chose the spool for lightness or handling? I'd figure a little bit of slip would be desirable.

Are those <gasp> off the shelf performance parts?? I've heard rumor of such things but have never actually seen any!!

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place