Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I hope it is minor too - just a tumor removal on my shoulder and it is supposedly non-cancerous. Should be in and out in an afternoon.

Got some great exhaust work done today at R&J in Apex. They made the y-pipe transition flow in a smoother fashion and tucked everything up so that no part of the exhaust is low hanging. I've got 3.5" to 4" plus inches everywhere on the exhaust and that is the lowest part of the car. The car should be easy to load/unload and shouldn't drag anything on the track. Still have to get back under there and wrap everything up.

I also had Robert make me a side exit exhaust with catalytic converter so it can pass inspection. No real reason for an IT car to not be street legal, given we've got dual purpose rules in mind and everyone is driving to the track with their race car.

I'll slap that on once a year to maintain my registration. NC just scans the OBDII port and looks for codes, they won't find any since all that stuff is turned off, and they a visual inspection for the cat, which they'll see.

You didn't forget the ITS spec weight is 2470 lbs and of course that is with driver? Nope, we aren't going to come close to that despite our best efforts. I'm not really worried as the motor is a) in a really conservative tune from Ford and should have been around 160 to 165 hp, which would equal 2700+ lbs; and b) I feel pretty confident we'll zoutperform the 25% gain that is the standard.

Since weight is a big concern, and we know we're going to be quite a bit over the bogus spec weight, I've been keeping track of optional items that we could ditch to lose weight.

Here I weighed all the gauges, panel, switches, wire, camera, and so on of the data acquisition/video system. Not nearly as high as you might think, 4.5 lbs.

Smile

I got most of the main panel done this morning. Tire pressure monitor works, and from a long distance from the tires too, about 20 ft to the furthermost tire. The tire pressure monitor is neat in that you can create set points at which the display color will change, for example, the tire pressure is shown in red over say 40 psi.

Next up is the car harnesses. I've already built them on the bench but they must be installed.

Last edited by Ron Earp; 04-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.

I'm picturing countermeasure spoofs to turn all of your tire pressures to blinking red zeros when you are lapping me.

K

Ron, what wire crimpers are you using?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I'm picturing countermeasure spoofs to turn all of your tire pressures to blinking red zeros when you are lapping me.

K
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I haven't felt all that wonderful after my surgery, but I slept about five hours this afternoon and felt much better. Once I got up I managed to put a few hours in on the car. Nothing strenuous, just a bit of graphics work and wiring.

As far as crimpers and tools for wiring this is what I use. The best tool is that proper crimper there that does blue/red/yellow crimps. Everything else, like the connectors in the weatherpak connectors, I solder.

Sydney popped in the garage and took a couple of rare photos of me in my natural environment. I wore my PJs all day, including while wiring in the garage. Quite comfy.

I like the fact the car is roomy inside and the entire passenger area is open. While it isn't a big car by normal standards, it is huge by IT rule. When it was being off loaded from the trailer the other day it seems that it is a good 6" to maybe 12" wider than most ITS cars that I've been around.

I managed to cut a few sheets of graphics in orange and silver. Logos for Hoosier, engine decals, tow, Buell stickers for my bike, stripes, and some other stuff for the number 57 ITS car that is new for 2012.....

cool, just checking glad to see it, figured you would be... If you gotta crimp, it's gotta be one of those.

Glad to hear/see you made out okay with the surgery. Nothing like sleeping it off!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"