Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Go for it! I was contemplating this car before selecting the 968. Could be a winner! Keen to watch the build. Heck, you can always drop in a V8 to race in another class if you feel like it :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I agree with your assessments, Ron. People have been telling me that my engine will probably make the 25% percent rule, or whatever it is, look conservative. Can't wait to build it.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Go for it! I was contemplating this car before selecting the 968. Could be a winner! Keen to watch the build. Heck, you can always drop in a V8 to race in another class if you feel like it :-)
    This flexibility is what creates some sense of security about the car for me. I’ve made the decision to race a Ford, the only Ford choice of interest to me is a Mustang, and this platform lends itself to a variety of venues.

SCCA AS
    SCCA ITR as a V8 (5L)
    SCCA ITR as a V8 (4.6L)
    SCCA ITR as a V6 (would require sheet metal changes)
    NASA CMC
    NASA various classes

Many options from which to choose if the ITS V6 build didn't pan out.

I'm heavily researching the suspension options now and will start collecting parts soon.

Brighton, Mi. 50 west of Detroit, 20 miles north of Ann Arbor.

Ron,

Awesome to see the build, as I have been contemplating the same thing! I have successfully campaigned a '94 in AS since 2004. Feel free to email me at: asracer89 (at) sbcglobal.net I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Kristian

Yes build it . When done this season with my ITB mustang thats the one i was thinking of doing. It does give you so many options in what class too, also the after market and factory are filled with parts to use . Please keep us informed and also post some pics with it.

I've located a Mustang breaker about 40 miles from me in Henderson NC. All the guy does is buy Mustangs and part them, cheap. He's put aside an engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, and some other parts. Cost? Looking like $450. The tranny was just rebuilt and the engine still runs, no smoke. Turns out nobody much wants the 3.8L engines and 7.5" rear ends so you can get them on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I've located a Mustang breaker about 40 miles from me in Henderson NC. All the guy does is buy Mustangs and part them, cheap. He's put aside an engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, and some other parts. Cost? Looking like $450. The tranny was just rebuilt and the engine still runs, no smoke. Turns out nobody much wants the 3.8L engines and 7.5" rear ends so you can get them on the cheap.
    There's also a place in GA called Mustang Parts Salvage. I got some stuff from them dirt cheap. 770-867-2644.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    If you need me to go by and check anything out Ron, just let me know. Live 5 miles away. You also have no excuse not to drop by the shop if you come to town. OOPs, just saw Henderson, Not hendersonville.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Lots of folks interested in seeing one built. Chris has his ITR version and it is pretty clear that it could be a contender. I think this ITS version has a shot too.

The amount of road racing knowledge out there regarding the chassis is pretty high. If you ask around at Maximum Motorsports and Kenny Brown you can talk directly to the guys who were doing the chassis setup back when the companies campaigned stangs in semi-pro efforts. Turechoice also has a fellow who's knowledgeable about making SN95s and Foxes work.

While a full tilt build won't be inexpensive, it will be less expensive than a BMW or Porsche ITS car.