Thread: 240sx ball joints

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

David..
    My S14 has sphericals in the other arms, but not in the control arm. I just use either washers or short sections of 3/4" tube w/ 1/2"ID as spacers.
    it'll probably take about 5 hands, but what I do is stick the bolt through the subframe with just enough sticking out to hold one spacer bushing. hold that with one hand.
    then I grab the arm with the other hand and hold the second spacer on the other side. balance the control arm on top of that arm and carefully work the bolt through the spherical bushing.

get all that slid together on one bushing, then stick a nut on there so it won't fall apart and repeat on the other side.

when all that's together and the control arm pivots on the subframe, then reattach the ball joint and sway bar.

yeah, it's a pain.

Any idea what size sphericals are used in the control arm? I found some for a FD or FD RX7 through MazdaComp/Mazdaspeed that are sphericals with rubber covers on them. They look just like the stock rubber pieces for our cars, but they only have a 10mm ID bore in them. The good news is they press right into the factory arms. the bad news is you have to convert all the hardware on the car from 12mm to 10mm.

there's also a guy selling spherical conversion kits for the rear knuckles. if you're interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him. not sure if he's got any more sets right now since he builds them in batches and does group deals on some of the 240SX forums.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 05-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7