Thread: 280ZX Roll Cage

Default 280ZX Roll Cage

Morning everyone,

I'm trying to help out my brother on this one. We just picked up a 79 280ZX former ITS car for LeMons racing. The roll cage in this thing is a bolt-in, which is welded and or bolted in at various points. The header bar is literally at your forhead. With a helmet, you may have 2 inches at absolute most, and im not even that tall (5'4") and the bar is just above the visor. We have no idea how this thing ever passed tech with the cage the way it is. Right now I have no pictures of the cage.

Car was built in 1993, last raced at Lime Rock in 1997. Been sitting in a garage since then.

I was looking at autopower and S/W cages, and it seems as though there may be just the 1 cage for all z's. We're both new to Z's (he's an MR2 guy and I'm an E30 BMW guy).

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
    2) Can someone enlighten me as to if all cages for all these Z's (240/260/260, 2+2) are the same?
    3) If anyone has any general advice that would be great.

thanks!
    Phil

Phil, What part of town are you in? Can you post pics? I'm in the Orlando area and can do most anything you need with the cage. Even if its just letting you know what your options are!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

I'm in Connecticut. I had my brother take pictures, once he gets them to me I'll toss them up.