Thread: Joe DeLuca and Linda Gronlund Freedom Races May 7/8 Pocono

Default Joe DeLuca and Linda Gronlund Freedom Races May 7/8 Pocono

On 911 SCCA lost two of our members on Flight 93.........Joe was one of my best friends....I got him into the SCCA and was his driving instructor. This is a regional event put on by NNJR that is very near and dear to my heart. If you know anyone in the Northeast that may be interested in attending this race.....please pass this on. Thank you!

You may register at: Motorsportreg.com http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 1A870F62DB
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Very nice artilcle on Linda in Newday from April 27.
    I posted a copy on the www.SCCA-NNJR.org.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    On 911 SCCA lost two of our members on Flight 93.........Joe was one of my best friends....I got him into the SCCA and was his driving instructor. This is a regional event put on by NNJR that is very near and dear to my heart. If you know anyone in the Northeast that may be interested in attending this race.....please pass this on. Thank you!

You may register at: Motorsportreg.com http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... 1A870F62DB
    Thanks, Bob, for reminding us of this event. Unfortunately, I will be instructing at the Great Lakes Division Driver's School at Nelson Ledges that weekend. But I will do that in their memory.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by dtanthon View Post
    Very nice artilcle on Linda in Newday from April 27.
    I posted a copy on the www.SCCA-NNJR.org.
    Darrell: Thank you for posting that link.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

why are the sunday races so short?
    sat has pro It and longer races then sunday has no pro it and short races?
    Kevin Anderson

When I did the schedule the timeline ended at 4:30 on Sunday, we need to be out by 6:00PM.

Things got changed up a little earlier this week. We combined groups 1 and 6 so we have 5 race groups. Expect a change in qualifying length and race 3 race length.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Joe DeLuca and Linda Gronlund
    September 11, 2001

Northern New Jersey Region mourns the loss of two of our most active members in the tragic terrorist actions on September 11th. Linda Gronlund and Joseph DeLuca were traveling to San Francisco on United Airlines flight 93 when it was hijacked and subsequently crashed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all on board.

Linda was our region's Flag Marshal. She had joined the Sports Car Club of America in June of 1980 while living in Sag Harbor, New York. She quickly became active in SCCA activities at the Bridgehampton Road Race Circuit near her hometown and at other tracks all over the northeast. Linda earned a law degree and worked for several automotive companies over the years. She was on a business trip to the west coast for her employer, BMW North America, when she was killed. Linda and Joe planned to travel and sightsee in northern California after Linda's business purpose had been accomplished.

Joe DeLuca joined our club in January, 1980. He was most recently our region's Board Secretary. Previously, and at various times over the years, Joe had been a Trustee, Assistant Regional Executive, Regional Executive, and newsletter editor. Initially a rallyist, Joe later was also an active participant in Solo II and road racing. He enjoyed driving his Morgan and was the current president of the local Morgan club in New Jersey. Joe was the creator of "The Adventures of Raymond the Cat," a monthly cartoon feature in the Northern New Jersey Region's newsletter, "Pole Position." The cartoon is syndicated in many regional publications across the nation. Joe's cartooning was a spotlighted article in the July 2001 issue of SCCA's national publication, "SportsCar." Joe was on vacation from Pfizer Corporation where he was a systems analyst.

Active members in SCCA know what these two wonderful individuals knew: SCCA membership brings a friendship, a camaraderie, which borders on being family. The Northern New Jersey Region has lost two very special members of our family. The entire SCCA organization feels this loss.

Never forget!
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

I wanted to back up what Dan said on the Pro IT thread. The people were great, well run event, lots of fun............ The track on the other hand......

I actually used second gear going into Turn 1 on one of the starts it was so tight. instead of a nice sweeper it was 90 degrees. Devel's Elbow..... I think they put speed bumbs at the apex. I would spin my tires as I bounced over all the bumps. The tunnel turn bumps were way worse than in the past. The chicane.......... they had nothing but dirt with mulch (hay?) on the inside and out side (The hay actual caught on fire after one RX7 went through). The dirt quickly turned into mud after the heavy rains which then covered the entire exit........... I was taking a WIDE line through there, then pointed the car straight through, let the tires spin and just waited until I got traction again on the banking.

First time in owning this car with this seat that my belts would keep loosening.....

but considering all, everyone had the same disadvantages and from what I saw handled it VERY well. Fun weekend
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Regional Races Sanction 11-R-1480-S on Saturday
    Regional Races Sanction 11-R-1481-S on Sunday
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=653971
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony