Thread: 2011 Race program

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK, guys, the pics I took are too big to post here, but you can see them on my facebook page 'Bill Stevens'. The name of the album is Engine Damage 2010.

First time I have ever seen such carnage.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Enough of last year's engine. Let's talk about this year. We disassembled the engine that blew a head gasket in 2009. We tried to get an exchange head, but the rebuilder could not get one, so they rebult the old one, including decking the head/block surface. Just to be sure of a good seal, we had the block decked as well. The bottom end looked good, so we left that alone. Maybe next year get an upgraded engine build, overbore, blueprint, balance, etc.

We did take the time to port-match the intake manifold to the head.
    The assembly went without a hitch. The clutch looked brand new, so that went back without any work. We put the oil pan back on, in case we were able to make the WOR Games, but that was not to be because of problems with other parts of the build.

Upgrades/maintenance in preperation for this season include a new fitting for the oil pressure gauge so that the braided line would not kink. Also, as a precaution, we decided to replace the wheel bearings, and this turned out to be a major problem. When the left hub broke back in 2007, I had a new hub pressed in and there was no problem. This year, I went to the same shop and ordered the hubs according to the year, make and model, 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger. I ordered the hubs so that I could take a wheel stud and get longer studs for racing (also makes putting the wheels on a lot easier). Well, after delivering the studs to the machine shop where I bought the hubs, the machinest calls me to tell me that the holes in the hub for the bolts that secure the assembly in the spindle dod not match up correctly. So we ordered the hubs for the 1984 Charger. Also went back to Jegs to replace the lugs that were pressed into the incorrect hubs, and bring them back to the machine shop.

Then I find out that enough of the lugs were pressed in that I needed to get another package. My crew chief, Sharon, graciously went back to Jegs for the additional package.

The next morning, the machinest called me again to tell me that the studs that I had bought were not the right size. So after calling the hub mfg. tech support, I made another trip to Jegs for two more sets of lugs, and back to the machine shop. Well, about 2:30pm, I get another call from the machine shop - the hole in the hub that allows the retaining bolts to be inserted and tightened did not line up, and the only way to assemble the hub/spindle was to put the bolts in, press the hub a little, tighten the bolts a little, press the hub a little, repeat until it was all together.

But the machine shop could not finish the job that day, and the machinist was going on vacation, so the job could not be completed until May 31. Thank goodness that I had not planned on racing Memorial Day Weekend.

Well, this gives us more time to get the rest of the car into better shape. Have to install new belts in order to pass Annual in July.
    92 ITA Saturn

Sounds like you've stolen my luck... Joke's on you!!!!
    Last edited by CRallo; 05-23-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Spindles with hubs pressed in are back, small miracle! New ball joints are installed! Only major item is installing the crank scrapper. Then just small stuff, and reassembly. Looking better for 6/11-12.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 06-02-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Cat on the keyboard!
    92 ITA Saturn