Thread: Interested in volunteering but how?

Default Interested in volunteering but how?

If someone is new to SCCA, what is the best way to help get them involved in volunteering assuming you are not talking to them in person? (Talking about a written guide to this process.) They've learned a little bit about the different specialties, but what is the next step?

When looking at many region's websites, there is no real direction on becoming involved in volunteering. Some are much better than others. Should they just find one of the contact names and reach out to them? In some instances especially in the N.E. there are multiple regions running events at the same track. So for a person that wants to stick with one track that's local to them, it becomes even more confusing.

What are your suggestions on how to provide them guidance?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Gran,
    In an answer to your question, I would hope that the website/forum information and such is up to date and that I would suggest a person use the contacts email and phone number (since email addresses change). Those contacts can supply the info on where to go and what to do. If a person just showed up to a road race there may not be a ton of signs to direct the newbie on what to do, so they may need to find "registration" tent/building or such to sign the event insurance waiver and to get information. Some regions have better websites and are more pro active in helping get someones used to what is going on. There are good people are all of the club's who do want to help but sometimes other jobs being worked by that person and the actual find of that person can be a little hard. I believe the RE of the region that person is wanting to find out more is the main figure to contact if a specific series or solo/race/rallyx etc are not mentioned on the website.

Dave,

I'm thinking a similar set up as for new drivers. Have a person specific for newbies to contact.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

But whose the specific person? Just have them reach out the the RE of a region? I actually don't know.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    But whose the specific person? Just have them reach out the the RE of a region? I actually don't know.
    Your problem is that it won't be the same position from region to region. In one region it will be the F&C chief. In another it will be the registrar or maybe one of the stewards or even someone in fire and rescue.

In most regions there is going to be one (or a few) gung-ho people but there's just no way to know who it is.

Your other problem is that if a potential volunteer contacts one of the non-gung-ho people they are going to get shrugs.

I'm thinking the best bet is point them to the RE. Chances are the RE will know who the gung-ho person is if it isn't them.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Oh man. This isn't as straight forward as I thought it was going to be / should be.
    Dave Gran

Oh man. This isn't as straight forward as I thought it was going to be / should be.
    Hummm. Since there won't be a way to convince the regions to make a consistent change, how about recommending the prospective volunteer to contact all of the following people - best via email at the same time:

RE
    F&C
    Fire & Rescue
    Others who may be organizing workers

It is a small complication for the volunteer, either a few Cc addresses in the email, or two extra phone calls - not really an obstacle. Add the remark: "If one shruggs you off or is not helpful, ignore that and ask the next person. Regions ALWAYS need volunteers, guaranteed."
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

If someone is new to SCCA, what is the best way to help get them involved in volunteering assuming you are not talking to them in person?
    If you cannot shepherd them there in person, you should coordinate with someone knowledgable that will be at a the track, who will meet and refer them to the right person in that specialty for that event. A simple hand-off procedure will do.

Yeah, it'll take someone-that-knows-someone-that-knows-someone, but don't we all...?

GA

If you're looking at one specific track, the track manager(s) are also a great resource. I got started with SCCA autocrossing, and very few of them back then were into Club. it was (and still often is) club vs. SOLO when you talk to SCCA members. that's a whole 'nuther problem I won't get into.

nonetheless, I started going to the track for DEs at the suggestion of some of the AutoXers, and got to know the flag guys. they said they needed help and would trade track time for working days. so I started working corners for track time.

Then I got to know the track worker chief people.. when SCCA was short F&C workers one weekend, the track manager called/emailed and asked for help. so that got me started with working F&C for SCCA.

Once I got to a race, they put me on their email list and I get a bazillion emails before each race now.

The current/former/whatever RE for Houston Region is an active club racer and also manager of MSRHouston. the former track manager DE-coordinator at TWS was an active NASA racer and knew all the same people as far as F&C goes.

So if someone would just take some initative to go to the track and meet *someone*, they could be put in touch with the right people pretty quick.

as for online resources, http://www.sowdivscca.org/sro.aspx

Go to www.SOWDIVSCCA.org click on Club Racing, race officials, Administrators, or Regional info, and you can find contacts to someone in the club that can get you in touch with the right people.

I'll say we're one of the lucky ones with a nice website that's easy to navigate.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-20-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Most regions have a membership chairman, or something similar. This is the person who is in charge of recruiting and retention for the region. And the most important part of retention is insuring that members are enjoying themselves, and feel that they are needed and appreciated.

Specialty chiefs from all venues that the region participates in should be talking to this person, expressing their particular particular needs. The membership committee should be in touch with new members, get to know them at least a little, and be able to direct them to an area where there is a match of needs and skills/interest.

Websites are good, but up to a point. Human interaction is a vital ingrediant to enhance a new member's experience with the club. Jerry Wannarka, the Chairman of the Board of Directors, quotes the following statistic "for every 100 members who joined SCCA, only about 20 continue their membership into their fourth year wit us...."

So, for my two cents, a well trained membership chairperson is the key to getting new members involved with our club in order to retain them.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

What do you think about this for the section on how to begin volunteering? (There will be more information about the various specialties and so forth.) The hyper link also won't show the full URL.

How to Start:
    While you could just show up at an event and offer your assistance, we recommend that you contact the region in advance and express your interest in volunteering with them. For SCCA, visit this page (http://www.scca.com/divisions.aspx) and click on the geographic area you’re interested in offering your assistance. From there you will learn which region(s) exist in that area. Either send an introductory e-mail to the individuals listed or give the Regional Executive or Assistant RE a call. Please keep in mind they are also volunteers and often lead a busy life. It may take a few days for you to hear back from them.
    Dave Gran

It should not be needed in a perfect world but you might want to say that contacts are not always up to date and if you do not get a reply, do not take it personal, just try someone else on the list.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Years ago when I wanted to race, but couldn't afford it, I decided to look into working the events. I was a former mechanic so I found the regions web site and emailed the tech person. To my surprise, I was told my help wasn't needed. I then contacted the Emergency Services chief. When he returned my call his first sentence was "Who are you, and how did you get my number?". Not a warm welcome.

My region has gotten better of late, as a shortage of workers (F&C specifically) has caused us to improve our ranks. It's still a daunting task however to find out who to contact. We now hold a beginning flag school each spring, and it seems we are pretty good at responding to people who want to spend their precious time with us.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Good idea Dick.

There's been more of a focus on a customer service mentality, so hopefully people will be treated much differently now. Plus as you said, regions really need more volunteers. (My father ran into the same sitution several years ago Bill.)
    Dave Gran

Jerry Wannarka also stated in this month's SportsCar that the major reason why folks did not renew their memberships was because of the way they were treated. The National office can only do so much. The majority of the respoinsibility lies on the shoulders of the current members. EVERY member, not just those who hold offices!

Dave, I would add 'Membership Chairperson' to the list of initial contacts, in addition to the RE and Asst. RE. Along with Dick's comments about being patient.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com