Thread: Fuel Cell Filler question

Default Fuel Cell Filler question

Fuel Cell filler questions:

1) I know the cell needs to be covered from the passenger, does that include the filler neck tube? If so, can the filler neck tube be doubled to be considered sealed form passenger compartment in a hatchback?

2) Can a window be modified to allow the quick fill to be put through it? Not replacing it, or removing it. The location is perfect, straight shot of tube, short and would be the easiest location on a car that has NO flat panels (Toyota Celica).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Wow, no input from anyone?
    Derek

As to your first question , I view the filler neck and any vent hose as a fuel line so it can run through the cabin if it is metal line. Only needs to be bulkheaded if it is rubber.
    As to question two, I do not have a problem with it but I am just not sure.
    Hard to find a rule that say you can.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

D,

I'd just leave the dry break receptical in the rear of the trunk, bulkhead it under the metal of the hatch, and open the hatch to fuel a'la grand-am continental tires cars. don't put a hole in the glass, you won't be able to defend the action as there is no rule allowing it.

You run into 2 problems with this setup. The glass can not be cut or modified to add a filler. Even if you double tube the filler it still terminates inside the passenger area and is considered open because the dry break is the same as the cap on a cell. . Build a small box just inside the hatch that seals to the inside surface and exposes the dry break when you open the hatch. Wish it could be easier but not that big a deal. As an alternative you could run large braided line to the original fill location and have the dry break there.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

How much are -96 fittings and line????
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    As to your first question , I view the filler neck and any vent hose as a fuel line so it can run through the cabin if it is metal line. Only needs to be bulkheaded if it is rubber.
    As to question two, I do not have a problem with it but I am just not sure.
    Hard to find a rule that say you can.
    Can it be aluminum pipe and not be sleeved? I saw in the GCR steel lines in the compartment would be fine. All of the joints will be rubber, and will be covered completly, cell side will be boxed, and quick fill side will be boxed.

The current thought would be a 2 1/4 aluminum pipe, with a aluminum sheet metal box around it.

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    You run into 2 problems with this setup. The glass can not be cut or modified to add a filler. Even if you double tube the filler it still terminates inside the passenger area and is considered open because the dry break is the same as the cap on a cell. . Build a small box just inside the hatch that seals to the inside surface and exposes the dry break when you open the hatch. Wish it could be easier but not that big a deal. As an alternative you could run large braided line to the original fill location and have the dry break there.
    Glass is out, not enough time, and like everyone said not allowed. Maybe in another class soon.

Stock Fill location is too low, and would require cutting structural metal, so this leaves the hatch method.

Since it will need to seal completely, do I just hammer the hatch area flat, or break out my new friend the cutting wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    How much are -96 fittings and line????
    Well since 2 1/4 rubber hose is around $20+ a foot, I really do not want to think about it. As it stands I have more in connectors than my fuel cell, quick connects, and dump tanks (all were smoking deals).

Thanks guys.

D
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Duc View Post
    Can it be aluminum pipe and not be sleeved? I saw in the GCR steel lines in the compartment would be fine. All of the joints will be rubber, and will be covered completly, cell side will be boxed, and quick fill side will be boxed.

The current thought would be a 2 1/4 aluminum pipe, with a aluminum sheet metal box around it.

D
    Yes I think so. The only problem is if an inspector tries to say the filler is part of the cell and not a fuel line but rechecking the definition section I believe I am right. Just make sure that the check valve is on the cell before the filler leaves the bulkhead.
    From the IT section:
    Fuel line(s) may be replaced, relocated, and given additional protection. If the relocated line(s) passes through the driver/ passenger compartment, it/they shall be metal or metal braided, and shall be securely fastened.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7