Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 2011 Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Greg, sorry for the hijack, and I know I should probably know this, but who do I contact/write to about classing? My car (Corolla GTS) got dumped to ITB with 220lb of ballast added to it. I probably have the First Corolla run in ITA of this year, most developed, and probably one of the last of these, and Its been a race car for 22years. I'm just not going to race with the scca that way. I'm trying to find out if I can just run some kind of open class or stay in ITA... I'll know wether I've "won" or not, and don't need the plastic trophies.

Thnx
    It's probably legal for ITE in your region (where is that?) as-is, if you want to race it there. You'd need to check the region rules to be sure.

You can submit letters to the CRB at http://www.crbscca.com.

I believe you have mentioned in the past that you could never get your car anywhere near the minimum weight listed in ITA, right? The idea here is that this should now be a competitive, achieveable weight in ITB. It's not a punishment, it's an opportunity to run at the front of its listed class.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I feel the weight is very close for ITB... We have some good competition here! I race a A1 GTI, STD new pistons, not a full tilt IT head, never been on a dyno & tuned, but it has Spherical bearing c-arms, 4.25 fd, Peloquin lsd, running on Nito NT01's... When it finishes a race its constantly in the top 3... If I had the time & money to place my toe nails on edge of the rules, the car or the car & I, would be on top.

There are generally 12-15 ITB cars at our races, 15ish ITA cars, the best part is no matter how fast you are, you have some one to race! To me and my other racing buddies this is the best place to be! so if you leave your helmet 20 miles from the track and miss Qual, you might have the most fun race ever battling with your old instructor & the guy you sold your ITA 16v scirocco too. It took me a while, but I am not in it to win it, just fun!

"I go to the track for the party & People, getting to race a car is just a bonus"!
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

If you're a "run whatcha brung" class kinda guy, look at Super Touring Light. Your 1.6 will weigh 2080 pounds, and you can do more mods.

But the IT system is what it is, and well established.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

GA
    This statement is untrue. The IT system changed dramatically with the introduction of "The Process". Better or worse depends on your perspective. The current classification process was only established a few years ago and is just now being implemented. The number of club members who are dissatisfied with or adversely effected by the changes is far greater then the ITAC cares to acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    If you're a "run whatcha brung" class kinda guy, look at Super Touring Light. Your 1.6 will weigh 2080 pounds, and you can do more mods.

GA
    I'm not exactly a run what you brung kind of guy, I'm a run what I like developed to the hilt to see how good my engineering and driving is. Used to be plenty good enough.

Thanks for the STL info.. Like I said, I've been out a while, so that sounds like a winner. Since my car is 2030, I only need a bit of ballast, and more mods sounds fun. I got used to running the speeds I did, and getting pulled down to A1 GTI speeds (no offense to the vedub guys) would be horrible - I'd feel like I was pulling a parachute!

Having run IT in the same car for nearly 20 years, its constantly changing, constantly creeping, but I guess time marches on....

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    It's probably legal for ITE in your region (where is that?) as-is, if you want to race it there. You'd need to check the region rules to be sure.

You can submit letters to the CRB at http://www.crbscca.com.

I believe you have mentioned in the past that you could never get your car anywhere near the minimum weight listed in ITA, right? The idea here is that this should now be a competitive, achieveable weight in ITB. It's not a punishment, it's an opportunity to run at the front of its listed class.
    Thanks for the info.

My car was exactly on the original minimum weight of 2030 with 1 gallon of gas, and after cage revisions and whatnot to keep up with rules, the current weight with me in it was exactly on the new minimum weight with driver prior to getting moved to ITB. I could maybe get 50lb more out by dipping the tub to get rid of undercoating and removing non-required cage tubes, but realistically, I doubt it could get any lighter, so I understand that setting a lighter weight just wouldn't be meaningful unless I subbed a 100lb driver. I'm pretty sure my car was the first ITA 85 Corolla and was used to set that minimum weight.

I'd literally have to add over 220lb of ballast to run ITB. This car has had way too much development over the last 20 years to get it where it is only to throw it all away. I'd pretty much have to run it in stock trim to make weight - even then would need ballast. Old enough for vintage? Just run it as is in Prod? I kinda feel pushed out. Its WAY too nice to dump to the drift/rice crowd. I guess I could sell it to somebody to run ITB, or run ITE, then just compare how I finish with the ITA cars.. I should be faster than the ITB guys, and at least mid pack or better in ITA.... (I'd only finished out of the top 5 once in all the years I've had it - at the IT fest) Well, at least there's some options.

With all due respect I think that statement speaks volumes for the competiveness of the car.

You've clearly got it well developed and I'm sure it is well driven. But when you ran against the very best ITA cars in the country (or some of them) it was a tough row to hoe.

I'm on the ITAC and with the data I saw, did not think the car could run competitvely in ITA at any realistically achievable spec weight (I'm talking about the MR2 -- are you saying you could make the Process weight in the Corolla in ITA? If so that is somethign for us to consider).

A lot of cars run a couple hundred pounds ballast. It can be an advantage since you are able to put the weight where you want it using cage, cool suit, lead in the passenger floor, etc.

I hate that you are giving up on IT. We made the move to ITB because we thought it would enhance the competitiveness of the car. And, honestly, you say you think the car would be faster than other ITB cars -- in your region. I'd invite you to come to the ARRC and run against the Keanes, Underwood, Ruck, Knestis, Vaughan Scott, etc.

Jeff L -- sorry dude, I forgot you had that thing winning championships in probably the most competitive ITA region in the country. DEFINITELY add the Saturn to that list.

(I'd only finished out of the top 5 once in all the years I've had it - at the IT fest) Well, at least there's some options.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    With all due respect I think that statement speaks volumes for the competiveness of the car.

You've clearly got it well developed and I'm sure it is well driven. But when you ran against the very best ITA cars in the country (or some of them) it was a tough row to hoe.

I'm on the ITAC and with the data I saw, did not think the car could run competitvely in ITA at any realistically achievable spec weight (I'm talking about the MR2 -- are you saying you could make the Process weight in the Corolla in ITA? If so that is somethign for us to consider).

A lot of cars run a couple hundred pounds ballast. It can be an advantage since you are able to put the weight where you want it using cage, cool suit, lead in the passenger floor, etc.

I hate that you are giving up on IT. We made the move to ITB because we thought it would enhance the competitiveness of the car. And, honestly, you say you think the car would be faster than other ITB cars -- in your region. I'd invite you to come to the ARRC and run against the Keanes, Underwood, Ruck, Knestis, Vaughan Scott, etc.

Jeff L -- sorry dude, I forgot you had that thing winning championships in probably the most competitive ITA region in the country. DEFINITELY add the Saturn to that list.
    Sorry for any confusion:
    1. I could NOT get down to process weight if it stayed in ITA - Its already as light as it can realistically get short of me cutting my weight in half (at my age, not likely!)

2. I WAS well faster than many of the ITB cars (though the volvos were dang fast then)at my current weight and 7" wheels. Tack on 220lb and narrower wheels, and I imagine I'll struggle a fair bit in ITB as expected, but adding all that weight takes away all the work I've done over the years. Heck, I pull stuff out of my street car to get it as light as possible!

3. In summary, I spent 19 years trying to go faster. Not just to win races, but to constantly improve me and the car. To go slower, is to go backwards. ITB is a good class but if anything, I want to go faster not slower, and to do that I guess I have to bail on IT as I don't plan to lose the investment in this car. Winning is nice, but my ego is over that I think. That's just a nice to have (though there no way I'd run as a back marker)... I was no longer really competitive in ITA, but I still ran top 5, and got wins when the top guys weren't there. That was good enough. I like the dual class idea.

I'd literally have to add over 220lb of ballast to run ITB. This car has had way too much development over the last 20 years to get it where it is only to throw it all away. I'd pretty much have to run it in stock trim to make weight - even then would need ballast. Old enough for vintage? Just run it as is in Prod? I kinda feel pushed out. Its WAY too nice to dump to the drift/rice crowd. I guess I could sell it to somebody to run ITB, or run ITE, then just compare how I finish with the ITA cars.. I should be faster than the ITB guys, and at least mid pack or better in ITA.... (I'd only finished out of the top 5 once in all the years I've had it - at the IT fest) Well, at least there's some options.
    I still don't get why you think you would be throwing it all away. You add some weight and run with a slower group. You get closer to the target power to weight for the class and you are getting pushed out? Heck no.

Post some pics and a price......
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'd literally have to add over 220lb of ballast to run ITB. This car has had way too much development over the last 20 years to get it where it is only to throw it all away. I'd pretty much have to run it in stock trim to make weight - even then would need ballast. Old enough for vintage? Just run it as is in Prod? I kinda feel pushed out. Its WAY too nice to dump to the drift/rice crowd. I guess I could sell it to somebody to run ITB, or run ITE, then just compare how I finish with the ITA cars.. I should be faster than the ITB guys, and at least mid pack or better in ITA...

If you think you'd be faster than the ITB cars without the ballst, you darned sure should be competitive in the class with the 220lbs added. Do you just not want to run in ITB? It sounds like the car isn't going to be as uncompetitive in ITB as it was in ITA.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

My car (Corolla GTS) got dumped to ITB with 220lb of ballast added to it. I probably have the First Corolla run in ITA of this year, most developed
    The MR2 with the same engine just lost 95lbs from its original ITB weight and that will trickle to the other 4AGE cars like yours (so you should only have 105# of ballast). I already wrote that letter because I like to help out like that.

These cars stood no chance in ITA even if they could reach their classified weight. Moving to ITB was a favor to all of us (we have a few MR2s). Are they too heavy? you can search up pages and pages of discussion where the bulk of the posts say yes, it is.

Based on what I know, I say that it's a 12% motor, and I think it should be classed at 115%, or 2190# base in ITB. that would be your weight if i were king. The current classifications are 125%/2430# for the MR2 and 130% for the FX16 at 2445# and Corolla GTS at 2475#.

Being TOO HEAVY is good! Unlike being too light, you can work to correct the situation and loose some of that weight by building the case for the car. Please present build info and dyno numbers to the ITAC using the links at http://www.crbscca.com to help in these efforts. Having a non-MR2, "most developed" 4AGE car will be a welcome addition to the piles of data they already have that are admittedly MR2 centric. and will help all of the 4AGE crowd to loose their shiny new ballast.
    Last edited by Chip42; 06-23-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: bad math. see Andy's post below

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    Based on what I know, I say that it's a 12% motor, and I think it should be classed at 115%, or 2270# base in ITB. that would be your weight if i were king. The current classifications are 125%/2430# for the MR2 and 130% for the FX16 at 2445# and Corolla GTS at 2475#.
    15% is the number for me. If I were king:

FX16: 2145lbs
    GTS: 2190lbs
    MR2: 2240lbs

legend: -2% on FX, GTS stays same, MR2 gets 50lbs for mid engine
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    The MR2 with the same engine just lost 95lbs from its original ITB weight and that will trickle to the other 4AGE cars like yours (so you should only have 105# of ballast). I already wrote that letter because I like to help out like that.

These cars stood no chance in ITA even if they could reach their classified weight. Moving to ITB was a favor to all of us (we have a few MR2s). Are they too heavy? you can search up pages and pages of discussion where the bulk of the posts say yes, it is.

Based on what I know, I say that it's a 12% motor, and I think it should be classed at 115%, or 2190# base in ITB. that would be your weight if i were king. The current classifications are 125%/2430# for the MR2 and 130% for the FX16 at 2445# and Corolla GTS at 2475#.

Being TOO HEAVY is good! Unlike being too light, you can work to correct the situation and loose some of that weight by building the case for the car. Please present build info and dyno numbers to the ITAC using the links at http://www.crbscca.com to help in these efforts. Having a non-MR2, "most developed" 4AGE car will be a welcome addition to the piles of data they already have that are admittedly MR2 centric. and will help all of the 4AGE crowd to loose their shiny new ballast.
    Hmm... I imagine so... I've been thinking about a dyno run. To be honest, except for a couple races where I was going for the 110% tune and totally screwed up, I've never run with the MR2s, but not sure if there were any that time that were as developed as the Corolla, so maybe hard to say (I've had two MR2's also, one with a 165hp 20v vvt motor too). Motor is .040 over, balanced, pulley, match ported... all the legal stuff.