Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Hallelujah!
    now i have to race next year! maybe even the ARRC this year.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

SSC is dead. Long live SSC.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    Hallelujah!
    You should. You now have one of the cars to have. Now go
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    You should. You now have one of the cars to have. Now go
    if the process is working, we should all have one of the cars to have...but this does make me more optimistic. thanks!

with regards to making the weight, the car was originally in "A" as 1800 # + 180 # driver then later 1980 driver included.

the car may be able even if the driver is not....

but i have added things over the years and was not really thinking weight (dash bar, right side door bars, etc.)

Tom

FS: two ~ 50 # blocks of steel
    but don't call because i will be out walking 4 miles per night to lose weight.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Exactly. This point seems to get lost quite often. The process is power/weight, so it should roughly equalize all cars.

This car was tagged with a ridiculously high (in my view) power adder.

But there shouldn't be any fears of domination, yet anyway. The car should simply now be at a power/weight ratio that is within a reasonable range of competitiveness for the class.

if the process is working, we should all have one of the cars to have...but this does make me more optimistic. thanks!

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita
    if the process is working, we should all have one of the cars to have...
    Tom - this is a common misconception, and unfortunately isn't even close to reality. If you go back through some of the numerous discussion about the process you'll find that the last thing it is concerned with is making all the cars equal. The process is all about having a consistent, repeatable, and documented procedure for classifying cars. The process could care less about the outcomes. So yeah, there will still be the "cars to have" in IT, but at least we'll know that they were classed fairly...
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Tom - this is a common misconception, and unfortunately isn't even close to reality. If you go back through some of the numerous discussion about the process you'll find that the last thing it is concerned with is making all the cars equal. The process is all about having a consistent, repeatable, and documented procedure for classifying cars. The process could care less about the outcomes. So yeah, there will still be the "cars to have" in IT, but at least we'll know that they were classed fairly...
    i have yet to see anything processed that hasn't come out the other side with a fighting chance.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

with regards to making the weight, the car was originally in "A" as 1800 # + 180 # driver then later 1980 driver included.

the car may be able even if the driver is not....

but i have added things over the years and was not really thinking weight (dash bar, right side door bars, etc.)

Tom

FS: two ~ 50 # blocks of steel
    but don't call because i will be out walking 4 miles per night to lose weight.
    Sorry if it came off differently, but it was meant as a positive comment. We still need to resolve the front runners that hold a significant lb/hp advantage, but I feel better about that today than I did a year ago.

I have come to realize that ITB, and if it were more widely subscribed, and saw more cars added/built raced ITC will always be very difficult for the ITAC to deal with. At the end of the day, the more lbs/hp targeted in the process, the more sensitive it is to the assumed hp going in. So we see big swings any time power gain assumptions are adjusted. That means small errors will have larger effects and it will always be tougher to "get it right". It's good to see so much effort put towards getting there though .
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Thanks for the props, and also thanks for recognizing that last point.

1 hp "error" on our (the ITAC) side in either getting the stock hp right or the gain right means 17 lbs in ITB and what, 22 or something in ITC? So a 10 hp "error" in ITC is TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY POUNDS -- on a car that weighs probably 2000 to 2200 lbs.

On an ITR car? 11 lbs per hp on cars that generally weigh closer to 3000 lbs. So if we make a 10 hp error there, it's 110 lbs on a 3000 lb car.

B and C are hard for us because the downside for not getting it right is much higher.

But we do try, I promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Sorry if it came off differently, but it was meant as a positive comment. We still need to resolve the front runners that hold a significant lb/hp advantage, but I feel better about that today than I did a year ago.

I have come to realize that ITB, and if it were more widely subscribed, and saw more cars added/built raced ITC will always be very difficult for the ITAC to deal with. At the end of the day, the more lbs/hp targeted in the process, the more sensitive it is to the assumed hp going in. So we see big swings any time power gain assumptions are adjusted. That means small errors will have larger effects and it will always be tougher to "get it right". It's good to see so much effort put towards getting there though .
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Not your grandma's T3 Buick racecar....

Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Hallelujah!
    2. #4583 (Josh Sirota) Adjust weight of first-generation Honda CRX Si
    In 9.1.3, ITB, Honda CRX Si (84-87) change weight from 2130 to
    1970, based on a 30% horsepower multiplier.

DAYAM! That car will truely kick @$$ at that weight... if you can make it!

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Default Itb

What about the Civic??
    Les Chaney
    #33 FP Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    2. #4583 (Josh Sirota) Adjust weight of first-generation Honda CRX Si
    In 9.1.3, ITB, Honda CRX Si (84-87) change weight from 2130 to
    1970, based on a 30% horsepower multiplier.

DAYAM! That car will truely kick @$$ at that weight... if you can make it!

hoop
    And a Rabbit GTI, which starts our w/ less power, and has 4 less valves, is 110# heavier.

My Pinto is 400lbs. heavier. I'll just use the extra heft to knock them outa the way (when they come around to lap me).

Russ
    Russ

The Honda has been faster than the ITB class leaders, since the begining. So dropping weight and dropping the car to B makes perfect sense.
    Who comes up with this crap? Who is on the CRB for IT?
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    And a Rabbit GTI, which starts our w/ less power, and has 4 less valves, is 110# heavier.
    the listing might need looking at, I can't say (I owned one long enough to fix it and sell it, never drove it at speed) - but I will go on record as stating that the number of valves per cylinder, as a discrete variable, is not relevant. If you've been reading along for the past 3-5 years, you'll see that that logic is part of the reason ITB is so confused right now.

No jeff. Ain't done all those things yet. Hell, just had the car out for the first time last month at CMP. I will get to them eventually, as time and money permit, but I just like to poke at hornets nests. Gee wilikers, I race a Pinto, for cryin' out loud. Obviously , my self esteem is pretty (high, low). Take your choice.

Russ
    ITB Pinto #9

And I have managed to take 10lbs. of ballast off of that adjustable spacer that fits between the seat back and the steering wheel in the last two months.
    Last edited by Russ Myers; 04-15-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Greg, sorry for the hijack, and I know I should probably know this, but who do I contact/write to about classing? My car (Corolla GTS) got dumped to ITB with 220lb of ballast added to it. I probably have the First Corolla run in ITA of this year, most developed, and probably one of the last of these, and Its been a race car for 22years. I'm just not going to race with the scca that way. I'm trying to find out if I can just run some kind of open class or stay in ITA... I'll know wether I've "won" or not, and don't need the plastic trophies.

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Greg, sorry for the hijack, and I know I should probably know this, but who do I contact/write to about classing? My car (Corolla GTS) got dumped to ITB with 220lb of ballast added to it. I probably have the First Corolla run in ITA of this year, most developed, and probably one of the last of these, and Its been a race car for 22years. I'm just not going to race with the scca that way. I'm trying to find out if I can just run some kind of open class or stay in ITA... I'll know wether I've "won" or not, and don't need the plastic trophies.

Thnx
    What year Corolla?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967