Thread: Hello, 95Integra GS-R or 2000 Civic?

Default Hello, 95Integra GS-R or 2000 Civic?

Hello! I'm new to this forum and i have a few questions for all of you. I'm in the process of planning out an IT build for next season. I have 2 routes that i'm thinking about I currently own a 1995 Integra 3-door SE with an Automatic bone stock "yeah dont laugh".

Also thinking about buying my bosses Civic DX roller. This thing was a drag car with a cage installed that could be modded up to SCCA rules fairly easly.

Now for the Questions... with the Integra i'm thnking of buying a GS-R complete swap does SCCA allow you to go from LS-based engine to GS-R based engine? I know that this would put me into ITS but that is not a concern for me.

Now the Civic was a DX would be getting a B16 SI swap for this one. Along with updating the brakes to the SI stuff Can this be done and still stay in the rules??

I can see why no one has touched this yet.

I am happy to hear you're getting into club racing, specifically with a Honda In IT, you can NOT "create" a model from various honda/acura with some exceptions based on the rules, i.e. updating/back-dating along spec lines. If you looking to make a real swap of random parts with some limits on 'mainstream' creativity, I suggest looking into STU/STL. If you are looking to make limited mods based on the original chassis, then IT is your best bet.

Read this first as well as scan the threads here for basic questions on rules - that should help you out:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%2...ad%20April.pdf

Where are you located? Someone in your local region should be able to help you out over a conversation as well, much easier than reading long threads on it.com. If you want, you can call me as well over the weekend.

mickey
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Hi Griso,

I'm sure the rules nerds will jump in here soon enough but I happened to be online and figured I'd give my quick opinion.

First thing, go to the SCCA website and download the GCR and IT rules. Read them very carefully and you will be able to determine whether what you have in mind will stay within the rules. If you are planning to build a car you cannot be too familiar with the rules and you need to be very familiar before you make any decisions about how to proceed. Don't trust anyone else's interpretation of the rules. You need to be sure that YOU are CERTAIN that your car is legal.

Regardless of legality, my opinion is that either of your options is the REALLY hard way to go aboutt building a car. In both cases you are undoing and replacing work/parts before you can begin the actual car building. If you are intent on building a car, decide what you want to build and find the proper car to start with. If you do a search on these forums and compile data on the REAL costs of building a car, you discover that the final cost of the car is almost independent of what you started with, so you may as well start with the donor that makes the process easiest and most straight forward.

All of this is my opinion and worth what you paid for it. Good Luck.

PS I have a SSC 2000 Si that I'm trying to decide what to do with so I have an idea where you're coming from. Also, for the record, the consensus is that the Si would make a decent ITS car but would never really be able to compete against the very best in the class.

I'm in Sioux Falls, SD I was going to go to MAM this next weekend I think this is there first event for the season to talk with some peeps about my plans.

The DX Civic has all of the S.I. Body panels already installed. Has the correct front brakes and would need to ditch the drums for the SI calipers and rotors. Looking at part numbers for the two cars DX vs SI the only real diffrence I can see between the two is the steering rack/hubs/axles/engine/Trans.

My 95 Integra is an Automatic but as far as i can tell the rest of chassis and brakes are exactly the same as the LS,GS,RS but the GS-R is diffrent only in engine trans and front brake calipers.

I'm also concidering looking for a Integra RS this is about as close to ready to go as possiable e.g. no sunroof no ABS manual windows no power locks.

Please dont take my responces as defencive i'm here looking for advice and to learn. Also a ready to race car is looking more and more appealing as I delve into the "REAL COSTS". I have been dreaming of road raceing for years now. Been there done that with Autocross and Drag (1990 Integra). Enough wishing time to do somthing about it.

I suggest getting to a track and talking to some Honda guys and getting their input. One of the problems we have is the rules require the car raced to be the car raced. For example we all know that a GSR and a RS are can be the same but rules are rules and even if you get the parts, somebody will give you grief sooner or later. Sooo, build the car from the right donor.

One other comment, the cheapest race car is a used one. Right now, cars are a steal, when you look at the value of fabrication, suspension, exhaust, safety gear, and problems figured out, you are $$ ahead buying a decent used car. Look around, there are lots of deals out there

Yep after looking tinto the rules a bit closer I see what you guys are talking about. /sigh Well I found a Bone stock 91 MX-5 Miata for $1500 thats in really nice shape. Looking around that might be the best way to get on the track by next year. Thanks for the input guys.

I'll echo what Bob said. It is much cheaper to buy than to build.......MUCH cheaper..... Plus you'll be up and racing immediatley. I went through years of frustration with my first car (that I "built"). Put me years behind in development in both the car AND the driver.

There are some very inexpensive cars out there that will get you on track for a little more than the cost of a good cage.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Here's a good example. I don't know the car personally but it looks to be a hell of a deal for a chassis that has been developed and with a huge knowledge base.

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=28897
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It is clearly a buyers market.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Let me know if your parting with your Civic. Why do you think it won't compete well in ITS.

Quote Originally Posted by Griso Gray View Post
    I'm in Sioux Falls, SD I was going to go to MAM this next weekend I think this is there first event for the season to talk with some peeps about my plans.
    I don't think you made it to MAM for the April event....but I'll toss out that we've got another event coming up the first weekend in June, and we'd be happy to have you stop by and chat.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Thanks for the reply i know it's err been a few months. I'm on my way to making this happen hopefully next season will see i guess.