Thread: would these be legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If I am not mistaken, these are aluminum replacement parts for the stock steel piece. That would be problematic. I have seen people use the stock part, turn it down for a longer shank, thread it deeper and then use the spherical bearing holder. Now you are only changing the bushing material, and it is free. Minor mods to allow the use, but that allows for adjustment of the alignment, so it should be allowed as well. To me the bad part is the material substitution. And the fact that they are red, aren't illegal parts supposed to be flat black?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    And the fact that they are red, aren't illegal parts supposed to be flat black?

Mike
    Damn it, man! Now you tell me. I'm going to have to buy some flat black paint. All of my illiegal parts are the wrong color!
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

You had better get to painting Dave. Just get the car finished and on track and then we can all sling paper on you

Mike has the right idea to do it legally. I vote that what Charles posted won't fly, period even with rules intorturation.

Just use these:

as a pattern to machine a sleeve to capture a spherical on the end of threaded rod of the OEM part. If you have to cuts some additional threads or machine a lip to allow the capture of the spherical I would think you would be fine.

Either way I don't think there is enough to gain by spending the $$$ and time (which = $$$) to go beyond the $29.00 kit in the photo. But then again I run mid pack so maybe I should start spending more $$$$

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I have a brand new set of those I might be able to sell you if you need. They work fine.

R