Thread: Trailer sway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You DO have trailer brakes AND they function, riiiiiigggght?
    What others have said: balance FIRST, THEN get load dist hitch. THEN add bags if needed. Load heavy things between the truck axles if possible.
    And, no matter what, make sure the trailer brakes work, and work well. Prodigy P3 controller or better FTW....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Sort of a thread jack but here's a towing story. Easter Sunday, taking the 28 ft boat over to the marina for the spring commissioning. 8,000 lb boat on a 10,000 lb trailer, bought new about 6 seasons ago. Pulling onto the highway onramp - crunch noise, look back.....smoke. Pull over and realize the leaf spring on the left rear axle failed. Long story short, jacked it up and took off the wheel, thunk goes the axle. Jack up the axle and had some chain in the truck, wrap that around the axle and the trailer chassis, use a padlock to secure - only thing handy, shim it with some old wood from the side of the road. Jacked it down and had enough clearance to drive 2 miles to the truck/trailer repair shop! A piece of chain is a good thing to have on the truck!

Nobody, I mean nobody was coming out to lend a hand on Easter!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Some points to improve trailer sway. If the race car is chained down to the frame of the car, not the wheels/ axles, it tows better. Chains on one end, not straps. The downside is that the tires take more load this way.

I foregot and left the air bags low. The lower ride alt towed better, a little low in the raer of the truck/van. Try it back to back, dont go crazy getting the back end up.
    Over load springs help,without raising the ride. That's the bestway.

I use low profile tires on my open trailers. Makes a huge difference. Fuzion makes a 5 ply 225/60/15. Really nice .
    I cut one coil out of the front springs on my Chev Van, use Bilstein shox.
    300k of open trialer towing, about 25k with a double VW trailer of about 6500#.
    Low truck, low trailer, firm up the tie downs.
    This works for the open single axle trailer and the double axle , econo type trailer. Gross trailer with a SM or VW IT car and spares.
    We get about 15mpg with the Tahoe( 5.7 Vortek/banks) pulling the single/SM, and 12mpg withe G20(305/ 4bbl holley) van pulling the double axle /VW.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/