Thread: Trailer sway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tom is correct--Make sure the tongue weight is correct. This is very much dependent on where you tie down the race car. Find the correct spots and mark them so you can repeat at every tow.

If it is not improved, time for a stouter tow vehicle or lighter trailer.

Not sure how to describe the push, maybe it occurs when the trailer sways.

I am thinking I need to get the rear higher when towing, helper springs or air bags.
    I do remember after I got the air bags on the Jeep, the sway decreased, but at times it would occur.

Tom, I can always use engine parts, I have no need for the suspension parts. I will be at VIR for the National (working), and probably driving at VIR for the Double in May, you planning to attend one of those?
    I am sure we have meet and talked at Road Atlanta and at the Runoffs (Topeka?).
    Todd Cohen

I'll be at SARRC/MARRS, so I'll bring the engine to you there. I've talked to you before at VIR, at least. My parents are from Monroe, and I know I mentioned that, if that helps the recollection.

See you there!
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

You should have no problem pulling an open trailer with the Tahoe, even without air bags. As everyone said, my first thought is you don't have it sitting on the trailer corretly.

I think they say 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue? Sportscar just did a trailer segment where they showed how to weigh the tongue with home scales. Do that before you spend a dime on anything else.

yes, if the rear of the truck is REALLY sagging maybe you have too much tongue weight. I think most of my race cars have had the middle directley over the front axle of the trailer. (as a rough estimate on where to position it)
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I tow with a '04 Tahoe and can say that by moving the race car just a few inches, it changes things quite a bit.

Someone mentioned this as a possible aid to reduce the sway. I haven't looked into it too far though as it's really a matter of just finding the sweet spot on the trailer. Like others suggested, I've marked where the car needs to be placed.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

A couple of thoughts,
    What Tom said is absolutely correct. Get the tongue weight right. Then start considering other things.

I am going to guess that if you are pulling the rear end down, even on a 1/2 ton tow vehicle you have TOO MUCH tongue weight and it will also cause trailer sway. Use adjustable height hitches to keep the trailer level or nearly level once you have the proper tongue weight. Too much rake in the trailer will also contribute to sway whether it is single or tandem axle. You don't say if it is single or tandem axle trailer but not keeping it level loads the axles incorrectly and will make the handling terrible.

Just some thoughts for you. Set the trailer up correctly before throwing dollars at sway control, air bags or anything else. The friction type sway control may help, I use trunnion load control bars and cam type sway control but then again I am towing a 24' enclosed trailer.

Good luck and you will find a lot of good information online at the sites like Reese and e-trailer. Be sure to read the instructions to some of the hitch installations and you will learn an enormous amount about proper loading.

YMMV,
    Paul

Quick edit. When you mention push, I have to ask if you have electric brakes on the trailer? If not, surge brakes? At the weights you quoted, I would make sure I had electric brakes and a brake controller in the tow vehicle.
    Last edited by pballance; 04-06-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I have towed open trailers and did also find that car placement made a big difference. I switched to an enclosed trailer (I tow with a Sport Trac) and got a weight distributing hitch, wow what a difference that made!! money well spent and it can be used on any tow vehicle. good luck