Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro IT Series (NE) - Round 1 at Pocono

How will folks feel if I run a STU Real Time Acura and lap the field...

I'm having second thoughts on the ITX thing and making this like big or little bore where half the field gets a checkered flag. We've got six classes already and the racing is top notch...

Not much more of a stretch to add T123 also....then it's alphabet soup or Pro whatever...but that will pull more cars if that's the goal. Pro Touring maybe...but I like Pro IT
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    How will folks feel if I run a STU Real Time Acura and lap the field...I'm having second thoughts on the ITX thing and making this like big or little bore where half the field gets a checkered flag.

That's why I asked what the ITR guys would think about it; I pretty much know the answer and Ben has stumbled on it. It's not that I'm concerned that as an ITX car I'd affect their race -- I think everyone realizes I, as a very experienced driver, wouldn't -- what I was trying to infer is what the ITR boys would think if they were no longer the fastest car(s) in the field, i.e., someone else got the overall win, especially a class that's not purely Improved Touring...

Greg - you are correct. I don't like the idea of some rocket ship showing up out of nowhere and leaving me in the dust.

Racing in Big Bore this weekend at Summit put it into perspective for me. I tried to get the ITR group moved to the IT group and run with ITS and ITB. No deal and the driver reps made a number of statements why and it sounded like they were very set about not changing - I acknowledged and supported that.

The race sucked. And part of it is because anything can show up in that group, the field gets totally strung out and well....whatever. Dan Jones will laugh at me - he said it would disappointing. That's the reason why I sold my GTA car and came back to IT. Big Bore is a hodge podge of whatever cars and there's hardly any racing on the track because everything is so different.

In IT you know what your racing against, the cars are similar and you can run close together even if you are in different classes. Let's face it - I race the ITS guys just as hard as I can. Heck, at LRP I'd be racing the ITA guys as hard as I can (when I see two cars out of my class racing I give room to let them race each other). There's rules that I believe everybody follows (I hope) and if you do well, you earned it.

Before you couldn't show up with a STU/STL rental and win with cubic dollars. Now you can...

If Pro IT ever becomes an exibition race for Pro series - I would be absolutely fighting against this ITX thing like you couldn't believe....
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Talking about

Ben- Reading the rules, STL/STU are in now. So if you're going to fight it better do it soon. I hate to show up at a race only cause friction with fellow racers. I don't need it and I'm sure you don't need it too.

Having said that, if no points/prize money I doubt that I would race in it.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1k View Post
    Talking about

Ben- Reading the rules, STL/STU are in now. So if you're going to fight it better do it soon. I hate to show up at a race only cause friction with fellow racers. I don't need it and I'm sure you don't need it too.

Having said that, if no points/prize money I doubt that I would race in it.
    It's only Ben being a baby... No worries!
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Greg - you are correct. I don't like the idea of some rocket ship showing up out of nowhere and leaving me in the dust.

Racing in Big Bore this weekend at Summit put it into perspective for me. I tried to get the ITR group moved to the IT group and run with ITS and ITB. No deal and the driver reps made a number of statements why and it sounded like they were very set about not changing - I acknowledged and supported that.

The race sucked. And part of it is because anything can show up in that group, the field gets totally strung out and well....whatever. Dan Jones will laugh at me - he said it would disappointing. That's the reason why I sold my GTA car and came back to IT. Big Bore is a hodge podge of whatever cars and there's hardly any racing on the track because everything is so different.

In IT you know what your racing against, the cars are similar and you can run close together even if you are in different classes. Let's face it - I race the ITS guys just as hard as I can. Heck, at LRP I'd be racing the ITA guys as hard as I can (when I see two cars out of my class racing I give room to let them race each other). There's rules that I believe everybody follows (I hope) and if you do well, you earned it.

Before you couldn't show up with a STU/STL rental and win with cubic dollars. Now you can...

If Pro IT ever becomes an exibition race for Pro series - I would be absolutely fighting against this ITX thing like you couldn't believe....
    Now now Ben, I would never laugh at you, maybe with you. I believe Ben has a valid point about ITX but I'm not I would disagree about STU if PROIT is to survive and needs a larger car count I would think STU could fit well. Who cares about being overall winner with a car with 35 to 65+ more hp than all the other car racing. If I get lapped so what as long as anyone in my class doesn't lap me.

I'm with Ben when it come to racing with Big Bore like this weekend @ Summit. I didn't like it although the GT1 leader helped me make a pass on a semi blocking AS that I thanked him for the help after the race. We have to look at what is good for the series. When I raced a Porsche Turbo Cup in ITE I was passing some people 70+ mph faster than them. I was told it made them nervous and I can see why. I'd like the series to stay all IT cars but a few STU's won't bother me as much as the slower groups.

So I do understand Bens side of this. I was running ITB in this series and won the championship one season and came runner up in the other season. I hated getting lapped and being so much slower than the ITR and ITS cars eventhough we had awesome racing, in fact we had a few races finishing side by side for first place. Both years the championship came down to the last race weekend. Honestly some of the best racing I have ever had. BUT the racer in me wanted to be racing for the overall win. The overall win gets the attention, the excitement, and the glory that I think makes some of us racers in the first place. I know this opinion will not be popular and that some may not agree with me but I bet that feeling is in you even if just a little bit.

I would say the biggest reason that STU and STL isn't allowed prize money and points is because they don't want to dilute the IT classes and encourage contenders to stop running in the IT classes for STL/STU. This was my interpretation of this decision.

I also would encourage the organizers to explore other opportunities if they need to "fill" the fields. I recomended a PROSM series that ran in conjuction with the PROIT. Do a split start and give it the same attention as the PROIT. I still think that would take off here in the North East.

Just adding my .02
    Ben I will see you in the PROITR later this year with my Grand-AM ST car!
    Stephen

DAMN - now I really need to get a real STU car!

Jeremy - yo bro - you need to man up and show with a car!

Anthony - easy man - no friction - come out and play! I just stated my case. Plus you drive a Porsche! My spares are available if you need 'em - how more inviting can I be :-)

Looking forward to this event - should be a great group to race!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - I just got more dyno work done and a new exhaust to pick up another 7 hp, 5 tq. They tell me the car has a wicked sound now. Must have over 40 dyno pulls - Huge improvement in the torque curve. Can't wait to test out the top speed at Pocono!!!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Holy crap Ben! You should have just purchased a dyno !!! How much more HP and torque do you have over LY? You seem to have been very busy in the off season!

Good luck, try not to lap the entire field!
    Stephen

Default Room Released

I just canceled/ released a room for May 6 & 7 at the Blakeslee Inn
    Phone: 570-646-1100 . in case someone is looking for a place to stay. Tom Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Yup, I'm out too; the engine won't be ready for next weekend.

So you...whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yup, I'm out too; the engine won't be ready for next weekend.

So you...whenever.
    We arer still in just one less room Assuming We can get the truck and Trailer out of the side yard! after Rain for last 20 Plus days
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

You guys have fun! I'll be working at NJMP...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Can anyone tell me if there are electrical hookups in the paddock area other than the garages?

No hookups. Just what is available by the garages.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by dtanthon View Post
    No hookups. Just what is available by the garages.
    Thanks for the info.

Loaded and ready to roll tonight!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Loading up to hit NJMP with a couple of the cars at work... You guys have fun!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

...and...?