Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MARRS I - April 16-17

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    However, my 1.6L Honda definitely fulfills all STL criteria by a mile
    Kai - I know nothing about Honda and didn't realize the 1.6 was in ITS (sorta seems a little outgunned there???)

But at 1.6 you are solid for STL from my read of the rules. As long as the car complies to IT rules you can run in ST and are classed by motor size.

I'm going to keep my car in IT trim for STU. If I ran true ST rules I'd be 3300 lbs. so better to keep her in IT and occasionally double dip.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Kai - I know nothing about Honda and didn't realize the 1.6 was in ITS (sorta seems a little outgunned there???)

But at 1.6 you are solid for STL from my read of the rules. As long as the car complies to IT rules you can run in ST and are classed by motor size.

I'm going to keep my car in IT trim for STU. If I ran true ST rules I'd be 3300 lbs. so better to keep her in IT and occasionally double dip.
    Well, turns out the only question was the STL valve lift limit - but my VTEC engine is within the limits.

Yes, the Si is in ITS with a competition weight of 2430 (?). The car is an ITA/S tweener; I get lots of contradictory opinions whether it would make a quick ITS car. Still undecided whether to go IT when it expires this winter.

Re. your car - that's right, any IT car is allowed in STU - I stopped for a sec and thought "what? STU??? that's gotta be way more than a 3L engine..."
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Kai - as an aside, do you know of anyone that has built a 8/10ths or greater ITS Si?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Kai - as an aside, do you know of anyone that has built a 8/10ths or greater ITS Si?
    I have gotten a few replies from people over at the sandbox who either have built one or know people who did. AFAIK, no ITS Si has yet been fully developed, but I have heard encouraging things from people who did basic (or a bit more) IT mods. Others argue that because of FWD and the low torque, the car won't be competitive and not worth the $$$ to build it into IT. Then again, I am just looking for a car that can run in the middle or front of the pack regionally right now - so I can enjoy some racing with matching cars. I am not at the point where I worry about winning championships or going to the runoffs.
    Last edited by Kai Noeske; 04-14-2011 at 06:09 PM.

If a RSX-S can be competitive in ITR, then an 99-00 Si can compete in ITS.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    If a RSX-S can be competitive in ITR, then an 99-00 Si can compete in ITS.
    There is an almost endless (and heated in the usual way) thread on the topic of RSX/GSR/99 Si competitiveness in ITS on teh sandbox that is partially my fault:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=33556

The upshot is that those who have already built a basic ITS 99 Si, some with bolt-on engine mods only, found the car to be quite competitive, unless some highly developed bimmers / rx7s showed up. Then again, as I said, none of these ITS SI cars were apparently fully developed.
    Last edited by Kai Noeske; 04-14-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Regardless of whether it could be competitive or not, you could buy a front running car for as much as you'd spend building a mid-pack ITS si and not have all of the time spent along the way.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Regardless of whether it could be competitive or not, you could buy a front running car for as much as you'd spend building a mid-pack ITS si and not have all of the time spent along the way.
    If I was in your situation, yes - house, truck, trailer. My situation makes <5K in Civic mods a much better option than buying a ready-built IT car. We can talk about this in private.

Loaded and ready for battle :026:

BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Thanks all for a great weekend. Got so much help from the Tristan, Kirk & the Brimtek Crew, Rob, Jean and Lee when my camping project failed Saturday night due to a tent that was unwisely placed in a flash flood:

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?f...6&l=460959b565

Everyone was great on the track and cut my rookie driving some slack. I tried to stay out of faster cars' way, but may not always have succeeded. Racing in the rain was insane fun. Also, it's incredible how good it feels to avoid the spinning car ahead down the chute and find enough traction in the wet dirt to juuust manage to stay clear of the tire wall. :026:

Kai
    I thought that you handled yourself just fine while running with the Small Bore group. You were heads up and aware of what was happening and gave me more than enough room when I came by. Thanks.

Please come and run with us again. Hopefully more people will figure out that STL is a viable place to run and with it being in the Small Bore group there is opportunity to "double dip" if you are running in one of the IT classes as well.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Great weekend at Summit! This was my third visit and the first in five years. Tough to remember the track and run it in a IT instead of the GTA/GT1 car. Had to unlearn what I did with the point and shoot monster and get the lines down for momentum. Not sure I got the lines but definitely had a ton of fun! The rain qualifier was a blast.

Parked at the front of the paddock and wondered why this great spot was available. Uh, it was by the drain that emptied out the flash flood....car nearly washed away. Two feet of water in less than 20 minutes

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...=1943795604425
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Dude, I *did* look like a fisherman with the yellow on !

Now I understand why they included that WWII German amphibian car in Gran Turismo 5...

Parked at the front of the paddock and wondered why this great spot was available. Uh, it was by the drain that emptied out the flash flood....car nearly washed away. Two feet of water in less than 20 minutes

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1943795604425
    Ben
    That great spot was available because the drivers rep. reserved it for Big Bore class cars(your welcome!). Since I had to "stand in" for the Big Bore rep. Pam Richardson while she was at VIR for the Double National.
    The drainage issue happens only when we have epic rain like on Saturday.
    I have not seen it rain like that at Summit in ten years.
    cheers
    dave parker

Ben,

I thought about you while sitting out the storm at Baker (temporarilly renamed lake baker.) I was happy to see you where able to move out of the deepest of the waters, but I saw Kai's tent under water. This was some serious rains, weather stations nearby reported 2.44" of rain on Saturday and I am going to guess most of it fell in a 2 hour window.

wundergound reports 2.04....either way, record setting rain for 1 day.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
    Last edited by JamesB; 04-18-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Quote Originally Posted by dave parker View Post
    Ben
    That great spot was available because the drivers rep. reserved it for Big Bore class cars(your welcome!). Since I had to "stand in" for the Big Bore rep. Pam Richardson while she was at VIR for the Double National.
    The drainage issue happens only when we have epic rain like on Saturday.
    I have not seen it rain like that at Summit in ten years.
    cheers
    dave parker
    Thanks Dave - I think I met you at the drivers meeting - you pulled double duty with little bore also?

Some great folks at Summit - a fellow also tried to reserve me a spot in the ITR area, which has moved and is now different than the paddock map? I thought ITR and Big Bore were pretty close - and when I pulled in around 9PM was relieved to have a place to park - mucho thanks again!

PS - I have great video of the race but not posting......I'd be inviting a 100 critiques of where I could improve my line!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Saturday ITS/B/C race...

http://vimeo.com/22624789

Splish Splash.

Anyone take pictures @ Marrs 1?

Thanks Dave - I think I met you at the drivers meeting - you pulled double duty with little bore also?
    Ben
    Yes, double duty and I have the double duty paycheck to prove it.
    It was not really a big deal to do other than having twice the amount of paddock spaces to mark off on Thursday evening. There was no drama as far as the Big Bore group was concerned, so not much for me to have to deal with.

Please come race with us again.
    cheers
    dave parker

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    Anyone take pictures @ Marrs 1?
    You should have gotten a Ken Brown mailing with snapshots of any he got with your car. I don't know of any others, but would be interested.

If you mean other competitors, I didn't.