Thread: 280zx brake pads & 13 x 7 rims

Default 280zx brake pads & 13 x 7 rims

1) I ran a 510 in ITC for years and always ran Hawk Blues. I have been out of the loop a few years and For the 40th anniversary of the 2.5 Trans Am championships, I am putting 280zx brakes on the 510 and going to vintage race it. I cannot find Hawk Blues except for the back. Are they NLA, what is the next best thing?
    2) I am looking for some 13 x 7 wheels if anyone has any let me know.

Thanks for any input. Matt, Topeka, KS

We've run Porterfields on out 240Z with good success. They have the fronts in staock for the 280zx in a variety of compounds: http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php

We run the r-4 ourselves. The Carbotech pads seem to perform a little better, but at least for the 240z the R-4's are much less expensive. We ran 1 set of Hawk blues on the car and pulled them off after 3 sessions. We still keep them with our spares, but like the Porterfields bite and feel much better.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Default ZX brake pads

We run the Performanc friction pads on our EP 240z with the ZX rotor/calipers. Porterfield will custom cut them in any of the compounds they have. The have a template from our car to use. The start with the AP229 pad and cut it to size.
    We run the 01 compound I dont know if that may be a bit much for the 510 maybe the 97 or even the 93 might be more useful. They are very helpful about which compound to use for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEL View Post
    We run the Performanc friction pads on our EP 240z with the ZX rotor/calipers. Porterfield will custom cut them in any of the compounds they have. The have a template from our car to use. The start with the AP229 pad and cut it to size.
    We run the 01 compound I dont know if that may be a bit much for the 510 maybe the 97 or even the 93 might be more useful. They are very helpful about which compound to use for your application.

I've heard good things about the PF pads Mike. I take it you found they performed better than the regular Porterfield pads? Also do you feel they are better than the Carbotechs, or have you tried the Carbotechs on your car?
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I have not run the Portefields But talked in depth to them (Portifield) about them. From what I gather they are based on the Raybestos, thought they are slightly cheaper they also run slightly softer and are a little harder on the rotors. I have found that the PFCs are very rotor friendly we get a whole season (6-7) races on them. and then the rotors tend to warp befor they wear out.
    Another thinkg we have noted is that they are very even in performance through out the pad wear some pads change as they wear and are heat cycled and you will notice some changes in their charestics not the PFCs I have run a set almost down to bear metal and they felt the same.The main problem with the ZX calipers is that not many people make pads/compounds for them since they were not used a lot, thats why we have to go with custom made ones.
    One other thing to note is that the calipers will build a lot of heat and you will have to watch the seals. we tend to rebuild them at least twice a season. I was told the easy way to keep up is to replace them whenever you see the dust shield start to break down. Thank goodness the kits are cheap (we get ours from LYNCHBURG NISSIN)
    We are in trying to devlope a titianium heat shield to put on the pads to help deflect some of the heat, Dont kow if they will work but will try anything to help keep the heat away from the calipers.

I have run the Porterfields on my IT 510 for 15+ years and have never had a problem. I think I've replaced the front rotors once in that time frame.
    Last edited by 510racer; 04-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.