Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ITE rule set?

Yeah, the SCCA schools assume you come in knowing how to drive on a track. Their goal is to teach rules of the road, safety and how to race wheel to wheel, NOT how to drive.

in the NER schools you must have a transponder. Biggest reason is to track track time......... You know what I mean!! You're supposed to have 6 (?) hours to be signed off..

Absolutely line up someone before hand to tech the car. A) there WILL be long lines for tech before the school starts, B ) it takes away some of the weekend stress, C) if they find problems you can get them fixed before the school.

it may cost you a case of beer but it's well worth it!!

Also, bring crew help. i can't stress that enough......... Although I didn't but I was lucky enough to have a reliable car. At the NER schools you barely have enough time to put gas in the car between class room and track sessions.

Good luck!! Have fun!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Im searching for someone to tech. I plan to have the car dyno tuned in Kansas City next weekend. I need to try to find someone in that area to tech the car that weekend too.

I'm trying to line up crew. Our local region which is all autocrossers short of Rocky Entriken, has an event that weekend so most of my SCCA member help that I know is busy.

Crew have to be SCCA members to help correct?

1) crew doesn't have to be an SCCA member.
    2) I live in Kansas City, if you want to have the tech done while you're at the dyno I can help you find someone.
    3) what dyno are you going to?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Good to know... see I'm stressing about finding SCCA members for crew. Time to ask a few local buddies.

As long as the car runs and is ok, I'll be tuning the car at Supertune Performance. They tuned the car when it had a SOHC engine.

tnord- I would definitely appreciate the help in finding someone to tech the car. I'll post up when I have the car ready to take to the dyno and an appt scheduled.
    Last edited by ITEGT; 03-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.

At my school, I had my dad and a friend come out and help.
    They don't have to be SCCA members or mechanics.

As long as they can check air pressures and change tires (and maybe brake pads), then they should be able to do the job. At least with my car, all I had to do was put gas in the car and I changed tires on Sat night.. Well, that's after I got done with the hassles.

If you feel like a loooong read (and some humor), here's the story of my school. (Start on page 4- about post 60.. that's my entire build thread for the car if you're interested in it as well..)
    http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=908&page=4

As has been mentioned, do what you can to get the car teched before the school. if there's any problems, you have plenty of time to get it fixed. usually they'll go ahead and give you a logbook with the small stuff noted to fix. if it's a REAL issue, you won't get a logbook.
    (My car passed with flying colors, other than a couple suspension parts that needed to replace w/ stock to be class legal.).

hope that helps. it's a long read, but you'll get a kick out of the ordeal. I'll never EVER forget that weekend.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Matt,
    I didnt get through all of it yet but so far its a great read. Lots of pics too.

Ive had some track days that were nothing but a salvage operation. Hallett raceway is 45 miles from Tulsa, I made the tow down there one night after work, got to the hotel fine and got ready for bed. Open up my contact case in the am and one contact is missing. I forgot a spare set of contacts!! Had to drive to tulsa while on the phone with my eye doctor and get a new contact.

Here's my solution for my seat being so far rearward that I cant reach third or fifth gear and Im 6'3"!! Luckily I can still reach the pedals just fine.

I cut the grooves in the handle to add grip. Even with gloves on the grooves really work.

Turning down the shifter upright and cutting it to length.

I still have to drill a few holes and tap the bottom of the shifter handle tube but so far so good. I plan to bolt a 3/8x1x12 peice of aluminum stock to the shifter and then run it back to the handle pictured above.

Much like your car theres alot of self built get it done going into my race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    for the school, they dont' care about the transponder- they ask for it cause it's the same software they use for regular races, which requires the transponder.

that said, you can always enter it later when you get to registration at the track.

And a hint about that..... When you get your logbook, write the transponder number on the inside cover with the rest of your car specs. it'll save you from having to crawl under the car when it's parked in the mud and 40 deg outside and you're late to register... (don't ask why I'm recommending this... )

As for getting a school waived,
    1. you need to perform damn well at your first school and finish the day without problems.
    2. you need tons of DE experience (flagging doesn't hurt either)
    3. at least a couple of the stewards know you and will vouch for you.. letters of recommendation from them certainly help.

I still highly recommend all of the schools unless you've got a ton of experience and just don't have your license. If this will be your first wheel to wheel experience, then you'll DEFINITELY want the additional schooling.
    Don't forget to add an answer to a prayer... (depending on which school you go to)

I had no issues (other than being "too" safe), 5 years DE and was a DE instructor, 7 years as a worker and lost the split decision to waive second school.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Yeah double school it is for me. No chance for me to waive a school. Plus Im rusty, the extra time on track will be damn welcome.

Logbook for the car is lost. Mustve been in with some boxes that never arrived when the previous owner moved home. Im going to have to have a new logbook issued. Ive got the roll cage number for the car from the salina region, not hard to figure out since there is only one other certified cage in the region.

Good luck in school...and welcome to the "run what you brung" world of ITE!

Best,

Guy
    SCCA SFR #33 ITE

for an annual tech in KC contact;

Charlie Smith 816-353-5774

he's a nice guy that's been around the club a very long time.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis,
    Thank you for posting up his contact information. Im still trying to make the dyno in KC this weekend but I have lots left to do. Like the engine is still on the cherry picker lots left to do.

I wont have even shaken this car out by MAM next weekend and the more I think about it, I dont want to try to work the kinks out at the MAM school. Sounds like a recipe to not pass the schools.

Anthony

what other choice do you have? there aren't any more schools in MiDiv the rest of the year.

all too often people worry about getting the car "perfect" or adding this part and that part before hitting the track. drop that damn motor in, get it running, and head on up. don't worry about every single detail.

or i'm sure there are cars you could rent instead.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

As long as it is safe and dripping leak free, run it!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    what other choice do you have? there aren't any more schools in MiDiv the rest of the year.

all too often people worry about getting the car "perfect" or adding this part and that part before hitting the track. drop that damn motor in, get it running, and head on up. don't worry about every single detail.

or i'm sure there are cars you could rent instead.
    Thank you, no other choice really. Cars not perfect, Im down to bare essentials and safety items now.

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    As long as it is safe and dripping leak free, run it!
    I hope it runs!!!

As of 9pm the engine is in, long tube headers are not. Whoever said you can drop in a Ford 4.6l DOHC engine with LT headers mustve had a bigger hammer than me.

Disclaimer*No hammers were used in the installation of this engine*

Its 2am now and most of the electrical connectors are hooked back up, K member is ready to drop out so I can install the LT headers. I couldnt find my damn torx socket to take the effing abs screws out of the spindles. If I had those two little fuckers out I think I would have LT headers bolted up already and be ready to install the Kmember tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow at work I will borrow a torx tool and find two normal screws to replace those torx screws with.

Intake manifold/fuel rails needs installed, shifter and driveshaft too. Fill trans and engine with fluid and oil.

PC680 battery shows up today too.

<mustang

sounds like you're being productive and aren't giving up. i know it'll be a time crunch, but bring crew that know those cars (don't have to be SCCA members) to help you out.

is there any particular reason you're taking it to the dyno? is it on a standalone ECU that HAS to be tuned before the car can safely be run? if you're just doing it to try and get more power i wouldn't bother with that until later.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Im bringing my brother in law along, whos a trained Ford mechanic, as my crew. My wife will be there to help out also.

Car was a SOHC GT in another life, now its a DOHC. I want to be sure that the new engine gets enough fuel. Not dynoing for power one bit, just dont want to melt it down by going lean at 7k.

smallfish seems to be a pretty slick bot. Pretty sure he doesn't know the chief instructor....
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Not a bot. Some kid living in mom's basement.

K

LT headers are on, front suspension will be reinstalled this evening along with the intake and accessories. Then maybe I can finally get this car off the jack stands where its been living for the past year. :026:

Car is running and has been checked out on the dyno. Air/fuel ratio is good.

If all goes well this week I'll see you guys at MAM.