Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are SUVs/Crossovers/Vans legal in IT racing?

Oh, my. I know a lot about the ZDX, and there's countless reasons (not just the obvious ones listed here) why it would be unsuitable for just about any form of racing.

Get to the track and try out a PDX/DE - it'd be a fine car for a bit of that. Get your feet wet, then check out some club races. No doubt you're a lover of Honda products, and that's a good thing, as there's plenty of great options from that manufacturer that do very well in IT racing.

Just not the ZDX. Think Civics, etc... or S2000 if you really do have stupid amounts of money burning a hole in your pocket.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I've actually been looking at either a Cadillac DTS and a Toyota Camry V6 for a while, would those work at all? the Northstar in the DTS would make it amazing, I'd think.

LOLOL OK Now we know it's fake.

I once thought about modifying a Ford 500 into a street hot-rod. I once thought about "tracking" a moddied Ford Fusion. Never, never in a million years did I have the inclination to spend a dime on making those thoughts a reality, actually "race" them OR even dare share those thoughts with anyone in IT or on it.com... well until now. A Cadillac DTS? Camry v6? hell, even the Accord V6... really? I think the community would put more thought and energy into making IT classes for 350z's of the world than they would for the DTS or an extremely front heavy FWD car.

Can someone share delete the ZDX account? I wonder if Greg Amy who's traveling to Europe, is just playing with us. April fools!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Can someone share delete the ZDX account? I wonder if Greg Amy who's traveling to Europe, is just playing with us. April fools!
    If I were 100% certain this was a spoof I would...then again, if it's not a spoof that may be even more reason to swing the axe...
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

WWBFD - (what would Bill France do?)

Lol... This is obviously a troll. Delete the account and the threads and be done with it.

At miminum, we have proved again that rules of creativity apply very differently to different things by different ppl considering the goal, if any. Did that make sense?
    '92 Honda Civic Si

I believe he was dreaming (during homeroom) about racing his moms ZDX!! If that won't work when he gets out of college( in 6-7 years) he'll build something else( Caddy, Camry etc)!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

You guys are mean! We probably crushed some kid's imagition... didn't IMSA have big rig racing a few decades back? (I just got the Bill France reference! lol)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKSiDpdTyI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrhf7npIumU[/ame]
    Last edited by mossaidis; 03-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Big rigs ran as a support race for the Petit Le Mans weekend, I forget which year, it was awesome. Really.

I saw them run on the banking at Rockingham one year. Buck Baker ran the series. 18 wheeler tractors. It was insane -- early 80s maybe?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'm not toying with you guys, just not thinking things through very much. I keep finding used cars with great miles on them, despite being not exactly "ideal" for racing. The Camry would make a good choice, since it can have manual, it has a potent 276 hp V6, and plus, it's a Toyota, so it won't easily break down, even on the track.

or I could just stop being creative, and try to force my 6'5" self into a tiny matchbox of a Miata. in fact, the real reason I picked these obscure cars is because they're all actually big enough for me.

I'm actually serious about this one, though: An '09 Chevrolet Impala SS. any thoughts? (if an SS cannot be found, what about an LTZ?)

DELETE the thread and account!???? Are you guys nuts!? This is gold man, GOLD!

Just to keep it rolling, ZDX, most cars gain a lot of interior room once you rip out the interior as mandated by racing rules and change from the stock seats to a racing seat. You'll fit fine in lots of cars, no need to drive a big ugly Chebbie.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 03-24-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

If you're looking for a car with lot of room, check this one out, probably cost $25-$30k to build but selling for $15k:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=29046
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

thanks, but, I like building stuff on my own. I am a Chevrolet fan as well as a Honda/Acura fan, so I really want to build an Impala racer.

--EDIT--

lateapex911, I don't care if YOU think it's ugly, I'm going to race it. anyway, I recently directly emailed someone at SCCA HQ, and they said I can pretty much race anything as long as it gets classified, and I sign all the right papers. So, technically, I could enter a GMC Sierra and have no problem! (good news is, I'm done with the whole Super Touring SUV/Truck idea...for now...)
    Last edited by ZDX; 03-24-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Impala SSR anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ZDX View Post
    thanks, but, I like building stuff on my own. I am a Chevrolet fan as well as a Honda/Acura fan, so I really want to build an Impala racer.

--EDIT--

lateapex911, I don't care if YOU think it's ugly, I'm going to race it. anyway, I recently directly emailed someone at SCCA HQ, and they said I can pretty much race anything as long as it gets classified, and I sign all the right papers. So, technically, I could enter a GMC Sierra and have no problem! (good news is, I'm done with the whole Super Touring SUV/Truck idea...for now...)

Then build a Camaro for ITR. It's a Chebby, it will easily be big enough for you, and NOBODY is running one in ITR that I know of, so you'd still be unique and blazing your own trail. That's always the more difficult path, but it is also a lot more rewarding.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

ugh, I can't handle anything RWD, that's why I picked the Impala.

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    Then build a Camaro for ITR.
    Hey, he may be a little delusional, but he's not freakin' insane...
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5