Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are SUVs/Crossovers/Vans legal in IT racing?

Quote Originally Posted by ZDX View Post
    @mossaidis, I live in Houston, TX. If I get flamed for wanting to race a wagon, then I'm done.
    No not flaming... and pls don't mind the "Aprils fools joke" commentary. Sometimes IT racers aren't that popular with the rest of the SCCA community, so we expect some "jokes".

SUV are a clear no-no in SCCA just cause they are way top-heavy. Wagons are greyer items in the realm of top heavy, yet SCCA takes a approach that again, it's top heavy in which safety is a greater concern over inclusion of folks that want to race wagons. Hatch are small wagons and don't have the top-heavy nature that most wagons have, so they are in general concerned "fine" to race. Some HPDE/PDX clubs like BMWCCA allow you to track wagons, but racing them is usally a different story. if you have the time, look for "eccentric" race clubs in your area that will allow to bring your idea to table and if you have the money to build it, let us know how it goes.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

thanks. I will somehow get a ZDX to a track in the future, though.

Start with local auto-cross events.

http://www.houscca.com/

Next, contact your local BMWCCA HPDE coordinator about tracking it.

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/portal/
    '92 Honda Civic Si

I'd definitely look at some of the Volvo wagon options for IT... isn't there someone out there who built/was building a very mild prep one (want to say it was a 740)?

Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

you can always convert to manual, though, right? I just went on the site, and I epic raged when I saw it had a 6-speed auto. I will at some point race with a ZDX no matter what, but I might have to do some major mods to it first. One thing I really want is one of those LeMans-style button-shift transmissions, but they're prolly not legal for ST-class, so crap.

also, double crap, because apparently the only current Acura model that gets a manual transmission is the ass-ugly TL. while I am a TL fan, I don't really like the new one, so if I do go with a new car for a racecar, I hope it'll be a ZDX, even if the TL is prolly 5x faster.
    To close the loop here, you can only convert to manual in IT if that model was offered in manual tranny and you made other changes that came with the manual model excluding GCR/ITCS allowances. Pro race drivers do not... I repeat, do not... typically like any button/paddle shifting, they would rather take a manual, quick shift tranny. They may be "neat" in production cars yet tend to be unreliable and not precise enough for track racing. Paddle shifters in F1 is a different story.... READ: $.

Acura TSX comes in a manual shift and it is a GREAT platform for track racing... STU/WC and hopefully one day soon = ITS. other Honda/Acura cars that have potential and are cheaper to build/prep than the ZDX is the late model Accord, same awesome (for FWD) chassis/suspension as the TSX, two doors (not 4) yet small mod potential for that variant K24 = ITA.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    I have heard of regions building small 4x2 pickups into IT prep levels and scoring high on the fun card. .
    That's the Atlanta region. I think they have a solid class of....3. It's really taking off. Well, it was, until Spec Miata killed it.

Man I love this thread!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    I'd definitely look at some of the Volvo wagon options for IT... isn't there someone out there who built/was building a very mild prep one (want to say it was a 740)?

DITTO! ^^^ sweet, uh? ZDX, if you are serious about building a wagon IT car, then one of us can work with you to you find some good choices and submit them SCCA for classification (class and weight).
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Acura TSX comes in a manual shift and it is a GREAT platform for track racing... STU/WC and hopefully one day soon = ITS.
    They started production here in the states in 2004... should be IT legal as soon as someone submits the paperwork.

PS
    I'd bet on ITR for it with a slightly higher weight than the already classed (similiar HP but different engined) RSX-S.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    That's the Atlanta region. I think they have a solid class of....3. It's really taking off. Well, it was, until Spec Miata killed it.

Man I love this thread!
    Jesus H Tap-Dancing-Christ. Someone comes in here with a legitimate question about gutting/caging/racing a sport-ute cross-over and all you can do is mock them? Oh, ya' know when I re-read this maybe you do have a point...

Christian, off to go finish the build on his Hardbody Race-Truck...

ZDX
    Sometimes the group here can get a little rough but for the most part they mean well and have good advice to share.
    To answer your original question, SUV's, crossovers, vans and station wagons are not allowed in Improved Touring (IT) racing. However, there are a lot of cars that are allowed and most of them are fun and easily found.

I would suggest finding someone in the Houston area that is actively racing in IT and see what they are racing. I am willing to bet that you could probably hang around with someone in the Houston IT community that could help you get involved.

I would tell you that you are much better off purchasing an already built racecar than trying to build one from the ground up, unless you have very deep pockets.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

*sigh* I just HAD to get trolled this bad, huh? Geez... If I'm going to be messed with this bad, I'm just going to go with it, and if the ZDX can't race, I'll just enter it on Pikes Peak and be done with it.
    LMAO.

Oh the ironing.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

This is nothing. Over in the sandbox they badgered Dan Gurney until he cried when he said he wanted to trying one of these "Eagle" things. And Jim Hall quit coming around after they made fun of his car named after a bush.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by dave parker View Post
    ZDX
    Sometimes the group here can get a little rough but for the most part they mean well and have good advice to share.
    To answer your original question, SUV's, crossovers, vans and station wagons are not allowed in Improved Touring (IT) racing. However, there are a lot of cars that are allowed and most of them are fun and easily found.
    The station wagon restriction was lifted a couple of years ago. So wagons are legal in IT right now.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

We're so insular... and *clearly* inviting to others when their ideas seem... *different*. Way to rep SCCA guys... par for the course. LOL!

Xian - I placed my request for the TSX in ITR 1-2 months ago. There was a thread (in part) justifiying it for ITS mainly because ITR weight is probably unachievable in IT terms.... tbd.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

This is nothing. Over in the sandbox they badgered Dan Gurney until he cried when he said he wanted to trying one of these "Eagle" things. ...
    Crossovers? Eagles? Go with the original...

In all seriousness, we get jaded here sometimes because people ask questions that are grounded in a ton of naivete re: road racing. A LOT of them seem to rise from the first assumption that they have Car X and want to race it (sensible if they don't have any exposure to the game). This, as opposed to "I want to go racing, want to know about classes and stuff, and am willing to choose a car that fits," which is really the most viable way to tackle the problem.

The crankiness is aggravated by the tendency of people interested in getting started to not follow good advice. The reason most of us know about this problem,is that we were JUST AS BAD at some point in our past, and made all of the stupid mistakes. This does not, NOT, NOT change the fact that those of us who have survived and are still around are going to at least try to give that advice.

The OP asked a naive question, got a bigger answer than he wanted, clarified his question, got good advice, and made it clear he doesn't want any more. That's how it goes, sometimes to the point that it gets made a funny.

K

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    It's not at all possible.
    What ^ said.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

We're so insular... and *clearly* inviting to others when their ideas seem... *different*. Way to rep SCCA guys... par for the course. LOL!

Xian - I placed my request for the TSX in ITR 1-2 months ago. There was a thread (in part) justifiying it for ITS mainly because ITR weight is probably unachievable in IT terms.... tbd.
    Excellent I halfway, kinda, almost looked at building one shortly after I started my ITA Civic Sedan build (that I sold after the triplets... that's another story though). There was a thread on the 'Box about the TSX and estimated process weight for ITR. Want to say that the guesstimates were for a weight in the 2800# range? Seemed like a legitimate contender for the class (as compared strictly to other FWD options)... I didn't realize that it would be that big of a stretch to get down to weight.

Christian

I'm sorry but it was REALLY hard to tell if this was a legit thread or someone one here messing around. The first post wasn't an issue but as it continued I had no idea especially given the responses. It came across as baiting people where that is the intention or not. I still have no idea. lol

Different ideas are welcome, sometimes the way they are presented might give the wrong image of what one is attempting to communicate. In all honesty, this is one of the most polite forums I know of.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Man I love this thread!
    Don't hate on ITT!

No hate!!!! I don't want Fletch to park me in some swamp the next time I'm there, LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

ZDX,
    While I appreciate your love for your pet vehicle and wanting to track/race it I believe you need to really think about it.

I knew of someone who use to track their Ford lightning. Sure, it was an interesting and unusual vehicle to track, but after they improved their talent, they realized they didn't have a good enough platform to improve further. They began to drive faster than the truck would allow, and it became dangerous. You don't need to go into a heavy braking zone and realize you don't have enough brakes to stop.....

If you desire to just have fun, then go to a PDX or HPDE and enjoy. Leave the car as stock as possible and have some fun. You will soon realize that your fun factor will diminish because you just can't get the van to do what you want, it's just not built for racing.

If you are serious about "racing", then obtain a vehicle that's up to the task. I can assure you that with all the necessary equipment you need regardless of vehicle choice, and all the upgrades necessary to really race, unless you won the lottery, you won't be happy with the outlay to get your ZDX in any condition to really perform.

Carol Shelby once said, "In order to make a small fortune in racing, you need to start with a large one..."
    Enjoy,
    Bill