Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are SUVs/Crossovers/Vans legal in IT racing?

Default Are SUVs/Crossovers/Vans legal in IT racing?

I ask this, because I plan on using an Acura ZDX, because it's the only car I really am comfortable going over 100 in, and it's the only car I'm really familiar with in terms of driving. I have the March copy of the GCR, but I'm still confused as to what types of vehicles can enter.

thanks,

-ZDX.

No, you can't use the ZDX and to my knowledge you can't use vans or SUVs. There are more knowledagable people here that I'm sure can help!

Is there any aftermarket support for the ZDX? I'd imagine even if you wanted to modify it for even track day use or some type of unlimited class finding race parts, getting the cage built, and all of that may make a pretty expensive race car without much of a real class to play in.

The IT rules start on page 385 of the GCR. Including a list of vehicles and their class at the end. There is also a rule on the year of the vehicle:

"Cars from the previous four (4) model years and the current model year
    will not be eligible. No car older than a 1968 model of any listed vehicle
    will be accepted for Improved Touring competition. Turbocharged/Supercharged
    cars are not eligible for Improved Touring competition. Cars need
    not be eligible for state license or registration."

I actually just scanned through the GCR, and realized I was looking in the wrong class. I realized that I should actually be entering in an ST class. I'm thinking STO. There's a custom car shop here in Houston, TX that does pretty much everything, and they'll even fabricate stuff for cars that have no available aftermarket parts. I do plan on having another car for ITR, so I'm not going to be leaving these forums anytime soon.

racing a ZDX? that is quite possibly the WORST idea i've ever heard of.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either but I do enjoy seeing strange creations on track. lol

Not only is it a crossover, its proly not available with a manual trans... So it will never be legal unless you have a disability and get it approved :/

In regards to getting on the track: have you done any trackdays or PDX's yet? Any autocross? IMHO you should do a few of those with the ZDX, cuz that's what you know and then go from there...

You should check out Dave Gran's website and/or buy his book. It will REALLY help guide you into the sport! I believe it is www.goaheadtakethewheel.com
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

you can always convert to manual, though, right? I just went on the site, and I epic raged when I saw it had a 6-speed auto. I will at some point race with a ZDX no matter what, but I might have to do some major mods to it first. One thing I really want is one of those LeMans-style button-shift transmissions, but they're prolly not legal for ST-class, so crap.

also, double crap, because apparently the only current Acura model that gets a manual transmission is the ass-ugly TL. while I am a TL fan, I don't really like the new one, so if I do go with a new car for a racecar, I hope it'll be a ZDX, even if the TL is prolly 5x faster.

and NO U, tnord.

Are you possibly confusing wheel-to-wheel racing with HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience) or PDX (Performance Driving Experience)? Are you really thinking of butchering a $40k+ SUV to go racing (never mind the fact that it's only available as an automatic, and therefore would not be legal for any class)? I would suggest you spend about 1/10th the cost of that and get one of the numerous already built ITA/ITB cars listed on this or other sites. Then when you stuff it into a tire wall you will only cry 1/10th as much
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

hey, I do stupid crap sometimes, so don't judge me. nobody said anything about making it manual, so can I or not?

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    I'm sorry but I'll have to agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDX View Post
    hey, I do stupid crap sometimes, so don't judge me. nobody said anything about making it manual, so can I or not?
    No. And do stupid crap with cheaper stuff. Its just as much fun and costs less.

And nobody is judging you, just trying to save you some heartache we've all been through before.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Are you possibly confusing wheel-to-wheel racing with HPDE (High Performance Driving Experience) or PDX (Performance Driving Experience)? Are you really thinking of butchering a $40k+ SUV to go racing (never mind the fact that it's only available as an automatic, and therefore would not be legal for any class)? I would suggest you spend about 1/10th the cost of that and get one of the numerous already built ITA/ITB cars listed on this or other sites. Then when you stuff it into a tire wall you will only cry 1/10th as much
    On the unlikely possibility that this thread is even for real, let me repeat this again.

Do you have any sort of motorsport experience at all? You can take your ZDX autocrossing, and you can do it without spending $1K+ on safety gear for you and $3K+ on safety gear for the car (that will permanently make it no longer appropriate for street use).

The ZDX is not likely to be allowed in SCCA Club Racing anytime soon. It's an automatic-transmission crossover SUV.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Ooooo! A sequential shift ZDX! I've wanted one of those in the worst way forever! Even though it would be more expensive to build than a Porsche GT3 club racer, I wouldn't feel safe over 100mph in the Porsche!
    The ZDX is clearly the racecar of the future!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Ooooo! A sequential shift ZDX! I've wanted one of those in the worst way forever! Even though it would be more expensive to build than a Porsche GT3 club racer, I wouldn't feel safe over 100mph in the Porsche!
    LOL

To answer your manual conversion question, anything can be done, but expect to have spent more than a nice Porsche race car costs for no performance.

I think we're being played with here.

I'm serious about this thread completely, and anyway, it's all theoretical. I might actually enter with something like a Chevy Tahoe, or BMW X3. I'm just trying to see if an SUV/crossover would actually be legit for racing. Laugh all you want guys, I'm just trying to see if it's at all possible. If so, I'll do it, if not, I'll drop it.

--EDIT--

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    *sigh* I just HAD to get trolled this bad, huh? Geez... If I'm going to be messed with this bad, I'm just going to go with it, and if the ZDX can't race, I'll just enter it on Pikes Peak and be done with it.
    Last edited by ZDX; 03-22-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: lateapex911

Quote Originally Posted by ZDX View Post
    I'm serious about this thread completely, and anyway, it's all theoretical. I might actually enter with something like a Chevy Tahoe, or BMW X3. I'm just trying to see if an SUV/crossover would actually be legit for racing. Laugh all you want guys, I'm just trying to see if it's at all possible. If so, I'll do it, if not, I'll drop it.
    It's not at all possible.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

So where do you live? There may someone that we can refer you to in your area. I once thought about bringing my Jeep Wrangler to a RallyCross event and thought ugh, that would be fun. I have heard of regions building small 4x2 pickups into IT prep levels and scoring high on the fun card. But a BMW x3? Chevy Tahoe??? have you ever heard of "top heavy"? it's fine on some objects, but not others. You should try SCCK - Sports Car Club of Kazakhstan.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

meh.

my original idea of a Volvo V70R might actually fly.

-EDIT--

@mossaidis, I live in Houston, TX. If I get flamed for wanting to race a wagon, then I'm done.
    Last edited by ZDX; 03-22-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: still want to race a ZDX...

And you guys thought Volve IT cars were tanks.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post
    And you guys thought Volve IT cars were tanks.

Russ
    uhh... what?