Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Napa sucks!!!

Default Napa sucks!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Life Time Warranty that NAPA puts on some of their products is not worth the paper it is written on. When I bought a set of brake rotors for my RX-7 ten, yes 10, years ago I was told to save the receipt and if they ever wore out they would replace them. I paid a premium (extra cost) for the life time warranty. Well, I kept the receipt and tried to exchange them yesterday. Although I had my receipt they had no record of the transactions or the warranty of the rotors I bought 10 years ago. Therefore, they would not honor the Life Time Warranty. NAPA has seen the last of me. I know it will not hurt their business one bit but a company's word should be their bond.

Just saying.

I keep going to the same NAPA (independently owned) in Glastonbury for years now and have gotten to know them well. Granted, I spend a lot of money with them but they have always treated me great!! They would only need the old parts back to warrantee them. And that goes for race car parts and street car parts. My rear bearings/hubs? I need to change them about every other race weekend but they would warrantee every time.

Maybe if you weren't such a cheap ass and ran the same rotors for ten years!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Lawyer up!

Only time I had an issue was when the store changed hands. New owners didnt get all the right stuff. So I had to pony up the 14 dollars for a new rotor.

Wait didnt you sell that car....

Imagine getting 10 years out of rotors on your daily ride....LOL. Would be one hell of a noisy car!

Default NAPA rocks!

Rotors and pads are wear items, period. You honestly expected them to last forever???? I'd be ashamed to even ask for a free replacement on such parts.

I've always had good experiences with NAPA when getting warranty replacements on batteries. And recently I bought some 3-bolt exhaust flanges from them for 2-1/4" tubing. Couldn't find them anywhere on the internet but my local NAPA got them for me at a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by GTIspirit View Post
    Rotors and pads are wear items, period. You honestly expected them to last forever???? I'd be ashamed to even ask for a free replacement on such parts.
    I'll second that. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus E. Simkins View Post
    NAPA has seen the last of me.
    Lucky for NAPA!! 10 years, you must drive like a grandma..on and off the track....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by GTIspirit View Post
    Which is why NAPA shouldn't guarantee wear items, but, if they are going to do it, I see nothing wrong with returning everything that had a lifetime guarantee.

Ten YEARS!?!
    I'm lucky to get 10 SESSIONS before they blow to bits on mine....

I'm thinking I know who's an easy guy to pass!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

All your comments have been read. Just for the record I never had a problem with Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, or O'Rilley (sic) in getting my lifetime warranties honored. BY the way, the rotors had been in a box for about 9.5 of those ten years. I just never took them in. My fault. Found them when I was clean out the shop. They were on the race car and lasted about 4 weekends. They were warranted for wear back in the day. That is why I paid extra for the lifetime warranty. Hey, a deal is a deal. And some wear items do have a lifetime warranty. The brake pads on my "burb" and Toyota are warranted for wear. Just saying. By the way I never give up a turn and I have the battle scars to prove it.

lifetime means lifetime. call me cheap but i'd expect new rotors or i'd be dissappointed as well. but i've had good luck with napa before so i'm not sure i'd boycott them.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Quote Originally Posted by Festus E. Simkins View Post
    Hey, a deal is a deal.

What he said.

I've had the same promblem with Sears Craftsman stuff! Big companies warranties aren't worth the powder it takes to blow them up!!

has anyone actually read the actual wording of the warranty/fine print? I mean really a LIFEtime of racing? THAT's a reasonable expectation?

yea yea tea, a deal is a deal, whatever.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    has anyone actually read the actual wording of the warranty/fine print? I mean really a LIFEtime of racing?
    Yes I have and racing is not covered. Asked the manager I know pretty well at Advance and he confirmed racing was not covered under any circumstances.

$10 bet that the Lifetime warranty at NAPA excludes racing use.

The other thing is the rotors you purchased 10 years ago were expensive, china made stuff, in the last 5 years rotors have dropped in price, 12 bucks for vw rotors.. There are still good rotors out there, but less $$$ today... so to replace yours with what they have available today is not the same stuff.... Its like CV joints/axles, they were $150+10 years ago, now $49.99, Audi may be 69.99......

I have been in the auto industry for 20 years, just a note....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Yes I have and racing is not covered. Asked the manager I know pretty well at Advance and he confirmed racing was not covered under any circumstances.

$10 bet that the Lifetime warranty at NAPA excludes racing use.

Ok, then I concede on that one. If its excluded its excluded. For what its worth, I got the extended warranty on rotors before but never used it 'cause it seemed unfair being used on a race car.

Does this mean I can't place a claim on my car insurance for racing wrecks too?

Man, NAPA does have some funny NASCAR commercials, The DW one is a hoot!
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Here is the actual warranty. Racing, towing, public vehicles, etc. are specifically excluded:

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/686348.pdf

So not sure why Mr. Simkins is so worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lael Cleland View Post
    Man, NAPA does have some funny NASCAR commercials, The DW one is a hoot!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8